1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear heater

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by El Cazador, Aug 22, 2006.

1. El Cazador

El Cazador

The inner rear heater that sits, I think, just behind the front seats, or seat. Was that something that came standard or was it an option? If an option, can it be added to any FJ40, and specifically a '74? If so, do they do enough good to justify the expense?
    Thanks.
    Vic
    Redlands, CA.

2. okie

okie

be xpecting to pay around 100 for them if your lucky maybe 75 bucks.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

From what I understand, it was one of the few options that was a standard piece, like leather is in the 100 series ;), in the North American trucks...

They can be added to any 40 series, but I do not think that they do enough good to justify spending stupid money on one....if you can find a complete assembly and plumbing pieces for cheap, way less than 100.00us, then I might think about it...but still, they do not put out that much heat.

Good luck!

-Steve

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon

Au contrare'. As anyone who has ridden in the rear of an FJ40 hardtop with a rear heater during nice weather, they are friggin' hotter than hell!

I had to plumb in a shutoff cock in my heater hose line to keep from baking everyone.

But yes, they are somewhat limited in their output in winter. They aren't very large as heater cores go, and the fan doesn't move a lot of air.

I've been wondering about adding a second one of these for even more heat in the rear.

5. Texx

Texx

Well, I don't live in the coldest part of the earth by a long shot, but it gets pretty darn cold at our place in new mexico (ski resort). My experience has been that I can only run the rear heater around 10 minutes tops before it roasts my ass. Definitely adds quite a few degrees in my experience, mostly in later trucks, if there's a diference. 100 bucks is very little price to pay for comfort, imo.

6. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

Vic, where are you planning to go that you would even think you would need a rear heater? Certainly not necessary in So Cal!

As far as heat capacity is concerned, that is a opinion, and I think that Poser is a little biased, based on his location... in Minnesota!

Steve, ANY heater would work a lot better if you just had some doors on the friggin truck! ;p

7. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    If you do find a good one make sure to pull the motor apart and do the following. Clean the commutator of any grooves, scoring and carbon and reface the brushes or replace them. The brushes can be gotten at any appliance repair store or motor shop. Then relube the bearings. After I did all that to mine it moves lots of air.

Another tip is to wire it with at least 14 ga wire. Stock is 16 ga and with all the connections (plugs and switch) between the motor and the battery you can easily loose a volt or two making it run slower. The larger wire really helps.

8. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    tore mine out, sold it for 50 bucks not to long ago, didnt do squat, like a swamp cooler trying to cool down the superdome!

9. Mark W

Mark W

I gotta agree with Poser. They put out heat, sure. But on their best day they are not impressive. New Mexico? Oregon? Southern Cali? Heck, you could put a box full of puppies in the back and keep the rig warm from their body heat in those locales! ;)

If you want a warm interior in your '40 and you are operating it in an environment that is less than pleasant... Find a "bus heater" Basically just astand alone coolant excahnge heater meant to warm a large area. You can scrounge them from junkyards or buy them new. JC Whitney even carries them. In fact they have one that several of us have used. It is a large one. 16 x 9 x 5 inches. It actually fits nicely where the stock cabin heater sits and doesn't really take up all that much room. 2 speeds. 33,000 BTU output. It'll keep a soft top rig toasty warm in -20F weather.

Mark...

10. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    X2
    and they are always in the way when you are trying to pack enough gear in a 40 for a two or three day trip.
    Better to get an electric from JC Witless and put it in a better location.

11. Texx

Texx

12. Mark W

Mark W

Oh yeah. You get a little elevation and things can get cool quick. But generalizing is easier. ;)

Mark...

13. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

14. ctupton

ctupton

Does anyone have any good photos of these?, I'm curious on these

15. orvis17

orvis17

Mark, do you have a pic of a bus heater installed? would like to see this. Thanks.

16. El Cazador

El Cazador

Thanks for the input.
    Uh, on to the next idea about throwing money at the truck.
    Vic

17. Mark W

Mark W

I don't have any pictures of any of the heaters we have put in. It's not smething you usually post shots of on the wall. ;)

There are a lot of different heaters like this on the market. Especially if you include the older ones that you can find in salvage yards or hiding in the corner of someone's shop.

One of our Crew has her's under the driver's seat. It used to be in one of my rigs, right where the factory rear heater goes. There's a couple of folks who have them mounted between the seats, either replacing the factory "console" or built into a custom one. And of course a couple in the factory location too.

Mark...

18. nspctr1

nspctr1

Well, I certainly don't know about the rest of you guys but here in San Antonio Tx. where it consistently reaches 40 degrees in the winter, I dont know what I would do w/o one....

19. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

not but I can get some when I snap some shots of my S.A.C.K. (shackle angle correction kit) ;)

20. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">