Rear Disc Brake Conversion, issues getting E brake to engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserfien

Black Sheep Cruisers!!
Threads
Website
www.integra.mortgage
I just completed the rear disc conversion. I got the Redline kit and I am having trouble getting the E brake to engage. I have a 74 FJ40. When I pull the E brake lever it I am not getting tension in the line and it will not release. Almost like I am missing a spring tensioner....Any ideas? Help would be appreciated

If your parking brake is still in its stock location on the rear of the transfer case, I don't think the problem is related to the rear disc install.

I have removed the stock / factory e brake and ran the cable to the new calibers on the rear axle. I cant get the caliper to grab and stick to the rotor or release. Make sense??

I have removed the stock / factory e brake and ran the cable to the new calibers on the rear axle. I cant get the caliper to grab and stick to the rotor or release. Make sense??
Yes, are they the Eldorado calipers? I don't have a personal experience with them but have read some lackluster reviews. @SuperBuickGuy any suggestions?

I have done that setup before and you are never going to be able to get enough pull to engage the brake with the stock pull lever. You might be able to get more leverage with a later model pull from the floor, you need more leverage to engage the brake calipers.

(1) First problem with El Dorado calipers (if they are rebuilds) is the internal ratchets that keep the pads up to the rotors are not a matching pair (did not wear evenly on the same vehicle during their original life) so they have to be adjusted individually- - -guys don't know that, and possibly don't know that the pads DO have to be ratcheted up to the rotors before the cables are hooked up.
(2) Second problem is the factory cable system does not have enough leverage to engage the parking brakes on the El Dorado calipers. You need something similar to the kit in my ebay store, ebay #262478755231.
s-l64.jpg

(1) First problem with El Dorado calipers (if they are rebuilds) is the internal ratchets that keep the pads up to the rotors are not a matching pair (did not wear evenly on the same vehicle during their original life) so they have to be adjusted individually- - -guys don't know that, and possibly don't know that the pads DO have to be ratcheted up to the rotors before the cables are hooked up.
(2) Second problem is the factory cable system does not have enough leverage to engage the parking brakes on the El Dorado calipers. You need something similar to the kit in my ebay store, ebay #262478755231.View attachment 1388873
Just looked it up, nice unite, will be getting one soon, are the cables long enough for a fj45 long bed, let me know.

I have done that setup before and you are never going to be able to get enough pull to engage the brake with the stock pull lever. You might be able to get more leverage with a later model pull from the floor, you need more leverage to engage the brake calipers.

Thanks, this makes sense, I tried to copy the setup my buddy has on his 78, his 78 has the pull lever from the floor instead of the under dash lever. I guess I will have to go with the inline e brake and put a disc on my driveline.

Any one have any ideas as to which inline e brake is best?

Just looked it up, nice unite, will be getting one soon, are the cables long enough for a fj45 long bed, let me know.
Yes, and even if they were not, it is very easy to supply a longer cable that does not have the outer wrap (for clamping).

Cruiserfien, if you have the El Dorado calipers already, and you can't get them working with a stock Landcruiser floor lever (which should have enough leverage to operate the El Do parking brakes), then you just don't have the parking brakes adjusted properly. I sure hate to see you abort your expensive El Do purchase when all you need is some adjustment. Did you ratchet the pads up to the rotors before you attached the cables????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom