Rear Damage Fix Advice.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did this about a year ago. Was gonna hack it off and just weld something up but I am not a draftsman and would have to splurge on a welder.

Any suggestions in what I should do or anyone who had a crossmember bent up like this?

Am I mistaken or was there a bumber that required that rear member to be hacked out?
20170402_160457.jpg
20170402_160516.jpg

The 4x4labs rear bumper requires most of your bent stuff to be removed.if the arms are still straight then you are probably good to go.

The 4x4labs rear bumper requires most of your bent stuff to be removed.if the arms are still straight then you are probably good to go.

If you mean the arms (?) As the parts that stick out rearward furthest from the rear... the drivers side is bent in a little but looks like I could straighten it.

Hook a chain to a tree from it, and pull it out!

You probably have bent the rear frame as the hit pulled the frame towards the center of the truck on both sides. Use a high lift jack and spread them apart after cutting the cross member off for the 4x4 labs bumper. The frame still may not be square but in turn you could use the jack and a tree to get it at least close before you attach.

I'm on team 4x4labs fix. Maybe have bend and straight the horns, but after that you are set.

Once you saw off the rear crossmember your frame should spring back a fair amount. If you can see a buckled area on the frame use a hi-lift between the rails, put it in with just a little more tension than it takes to hold the jack in place on its own and hit the buckle with a hammer. If need be, keep applying more jack pressure until the buckles are flattened out. This method should prevent you from bending of overbending the good rail if there is one. If both are bent it should allow more precise unbending then just jacking them apart. And do something with that rust...good grief man! I suggest a wire brush and OSPHO in a spray bottle followed by some form of encapsulater type paint coating.

We have welded in replacement rear crossmembers before on several rigs like this. One of them was bad enough that we had to put it on a frame jig and tweak it a bit to get all the windows and doors to open/slide correctly.

A piece of 4x4 wood and the stock factory jack between the frame will bend it back into position to be able to mount a 4x4labs or equivalent rear bumper in place once the rear cross member is removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom