Rear cargo light install, ERG80 style (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yah thats the only way the 2nd dome & cargo lights will come on together. To bad Toyota didn't make the wires for all 80 series to make life easier on us project guys.

I ran into what sounds like the same problem. Door position worked great but very, very dim in the On position.

Try reversing the polarity of the wires powering the light. That fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my HTC Evo using IH8MUD

2 E L O.. I reversed the polarity and they did not work at all..

Back to square 1.....:confused::confused::confused:

2 E L O.. I reversed the polarity and they did not work at all..

Back to square 1.....:confused::confused::confused:
Buzzkill... :doh:

Did you check your ground? Make sure you've got a clean, solid connection to the bare metal. Check every wire connector and terminal on your ground system, too.

They're simple units. There's either got to be an issue with the ground or polarity...or both. :confused:

Good luck!

Buzzkill... :doh:

Did you check your ground? Make sure you've got a clean, solid connection to the bare metal. Check every wire connector and terminal on your ground system, too.

They're simple units. There's either got to be an issue with the ground or polarity...or both. :confused:

Good luck!

I am going to install the tail gate light in the center position to make sure they work properly. Then check all the wire from the middle connection back.

I remove the tail gate lights and install them in to the center console.....both worked perfectly on "Door" & "On" position. :clap:

Next step was to check the ground in the tail gate. I sanded the paint off 2 areas behing 2 separate bolts to test for ground but they where both poor. :bang:

Finally I tested the Wiper Motor housing and eureka, I have blinding light from both positions..:cheers:

Pronlem solved... Thanks for all the help.

Stu

Otamiway said:
I remove the tail gate lights and install them in to the center console.....both worked perfectly on "Door" & "On" position. :clap:

Next step was to check the ground in the tail gate. I sanded the paint off 2 areas behing 2 separate bolts to test for ground but they where both poor. :bang:

Finally I tested the Wiper Motor housing and eureka, I have blinding light from both positions..:cheers:

Pronlem solved... Thanks for all the help.

Stu

Nice work! Glad you got it sorted out!

2 E L O said:
Nice work! Glad you got it sorted out!

Thanks 2 E L O

Sent from my DROID3 using IH8MUD. typos extra

I liked what you guys have done, and decided to make mine too :cheers: I managed to find one that the plastic is an exact match for the tailgate hatch plastic. $5.00 from local Sandy's auto wreckers, out of an Isuzu Rodeo!

it works really well especially since it's directly above the roll out table top in my https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/586400-trekken-offroad-rear-cargo-storage-drawer-system.html .
IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

Very nice work but I call fail on the bulb. That thing needs an LED. However that's the nicest looking cargo barrier in the background :D even if it takes a keen eye to spot it.

Bulb is replacable :flipoff2:

And agreed on the cargo barrier! :beer:

Just did this today. The word easy is an understatement. First pic shows the factory wiring in the drivers side rear corner the second pic shows the cloth head liner that was cut out to fit the light. The I scribed holes, drilled, and mounted. Last picture is of all three of them on. The hardest part was putting the little bit of trim back in and that took 5 minutes. Now to buy some LEDs

ForumRunner_20120826_182518.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_182543.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_182555.jpg

Sent from my Droid thingy using IH8MUD
ForumRunner_20120826_182518.jpg
ForumRunner_20120826_182543.jpg
ForumRunner_20120826_182555.jpg

I did these thin LED strips a few weeks back, turn on when the rear doors or rear hatch is opened.
IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg

Those are nice where did you get them?

PepBoys. They were like $40 but worth every penny. They are the Superbright Max or something like that.

BamaPaul said:
Just did this today. The word easy is an understatement. First pic shows the factory wiring in the drivers side rear corner the second pic shows the cloth head liner that was cut out to fit the light. The I scribed holes, drilled, and mounted. Last picture is of all three of them on. The hardest part was putting the little bit of trim back in and that took 5 minutes. Now to buy some LEDs

1st pic....

Are you saying the wiring is already there from the factory?

Yep. Dan mentioned it on the first or second page. It's plug and play and extends to the middle of the cruiser.

Last edited:
Just did this recently too, taking power from the existing rear dome light.

I also added a small switch that cuts the line from the upper hatch that tells it to turn on the dome light and rear door interior side lights. Now I can either leave the switch to complete the circuit and have one or two dome lights come on when I open the hatch, or turn it off and have no lights come on when I open the hatch, perferct for leaving it open for days at a time when attached to a tent.

Leaving it so that no lights come on does make the alarm think no doors are open and it will re-lock on you...not that I have experienced that.

Note: not all models were equipped with the wiring and a splice will have to be performed on the existing dome light, as was my case.

Note: not all models were equipped with the wiring and a splice will have to be performed on the existing dome light, as was my case.

What years had the existing wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom