Rear cargo light install, ERG80 style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More Picture

More details with LED Installed

I just have to wire itall up

Thanks ERGO80 & Grizzlygibbs for their write ups.
2012-02-28_19-10-47_255.jpg
2012-02-28_19-14-55_24.jpg
2012-02-28_19-09-58_107.jpg

Looks good, I bet that back area is bright now! Mine is bright with one light and a regular bulb. Great job.

Thanks Grizzly, I expect them to be very very bright.. Can wait to complete the wiring but the :princess: has the truck this week

Here is the rest of the Cabin so far. LEDs courtsey Pfran42....

I intend to use them mostly when I go camping.

Stu
IMG_20110526_154143.jpg
IMG_20110526_154221.jpg

I took out the Cargo light hoping that I would have enough to tap into the plug and run the wires back. No such luck, I had to do a partial roof removal...2nd & 3rd row Grab handles & Seat belts, cargo area trim and weather strip. Lowered the rear 3rd on the roof and pulldown the wire and made the connection...heat shrink connectors.

Hooked up the wire tested before install. Door position works great. ON position is "DIM". I think that my ground is poor. I will go back and sand down themetal behind the ground screw.
2012-03-01_21-07-35_663.jpg
2012-03-01_21-09-13_97.jpg
2012-03-04_20-36-52_907.jpg

You tapped your cargo light from your second row? In your driver pillar there is the cargo light plug. You just have to reverse the wires to make it work. That way the cargo lights only come on when the hatch is opened.

You tapped your cargo light from your second row? In your driver pillar there is the cargo light plug. You just have to reverse the wires to make it work. That way the cargo lights only come on when the hatch is opened.

Busmup, thanks for your reply.

Yes I tapped into the 2nd row/cargo light. The ON position works, but very DIM. the DOOR position works very good.

I think I have the wires rght but will try to switch them:hmm:

I will have to look for that cargo plug on the driverside. I read somewhere on MUD that is was not present in the 97.....but I will check.

Stu:cheers:

Otamiway said:
Busmup, thanks for your reply.

Yes I tapped into the 2nd row/cargo light. The ON position works, but very DIM. the DOOR position works very good.

I think I have the wires rght but will try to switch them:hmm:

I will have to look for that cargo plug on the driverside. I read somewhere on MUD that is was not present in the 97.....but I will check.

Stu:cheers:

Your welcome

I could not find the plug and I spent a bit of time looking for it on my 95. I actually kind of like that the light comes on when I open the rear passenger doors as well. but I would not have been against using the plug if I could have found it.

Where abouts on highway 2 are you located BusmUp?

grizzlygibbs said:
I could not find the plug and I spent a bit of time looking for it on my 95. I actually kind of like that the light comes on when I open the rear passenger doors as well. but I would not have been against using the plug if I could have found it.

Where abouts on highway 2 are you located BusmUp?

I'm buy Graham, WA

The only thing that I disagree about having the cargo light to the doors is that when all the doors are closed. You have to turn the cargo light manually. Versus just opening the hatch and it automatically turns on.

Last edited:
I'm buy Graham, WA

The only thing that I disagree about having the cargo light to the doors is that when all the doors are closed. You have to turn the cargo light manually. Versus just opening the hatch and it automatically turns on.

With 2nd light off, once I open the hatch, the new rear gate lights work... if I have them set on DOOR. :grinpimp:

Actually, I really dont need them to turn ON manually, just OCD that they are "DIM"

Otamiway said:
With 2nd light off, once I open the hatch, the new rear gate lights work... if I have them set on DOOR. :grinpimp:

Actually, I really dont need them to turn ON manually, just OCD that they are "DIM"

Nice. The guru wizards are on your side.

Busmup, I think they are. There was mention of how improtant the ground was, so I am thinking a poor grond would lead to a dim light in the "ON" position.

Thanks
Stu

I'm buy Graham, WA

I am not sure I follow your reasoning Busmup:

1) If I open my hatch or either rear passenger door my rear passenger dome and my retro-fitted hatch dome I installed both turn on as long as they are set to door and they do so automatically.

2) If the hatch light is in the on position, it will stay on. Same with the rear passenger dome light

3) They will both operate independent of each other, one is not dependent on the other.

Otamiway- where did you ground yours to? Did you ground both separately or did you tie two grounds into one? Also what gauged wire did you use for the ground?

Grizzly,

I tied the grounds together and used the latch handle bolt. 16guage wire, if memory serves me well.

I guess I could have just looked at the pictures above. I am willing to bet that, like you already stated, probably do not have a good connection. If the metal had paint on it that could be contributing to your poor ground. I grounded to a bracket near the wiper relay if I remember correctly. Be bracket was a bronze/gold color and was a good contact point. I may have to look into the LED's, those puppies are bright!

I ran into what sounds like the same problem. Door position worked great but very, very dim in the On position.

Try reversing the polarity of the wires powering the light. That fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my HTC Evo using IH8MUD

I ran into what sounds like the same problem. Door position worked great but very, very dim in the On position.

Try reversing the polarity of the wires powering the light. That fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my HTC Evo using IH8MUD

2 E L O, thanks.... I will try that....

Stu

Ok here it goes. This is how i installed my setup. My 91 has the plug in the drivers rear pillar. I used that plug to install my rear cargo light. When i plugged the wire into the lamp it didn't work. Then i read on another members writeup, that you have to reverse the wires. I did that and poof, the light comes on. That wire I'm using is factory wiring. My light is on the DOOR position. Whenever I open my HATCH, the light comes on. The cargo light doesn't come on when the doors open. Keep in mind that i followed another members writeup 3 yrs ago and is still working. I hope i am saying it clearly to understand. Good luck!

grizzlygibbs said:
I am not sure I follow your reasoning Busmup:

1) If I open my hatch or either rear passenger door my rear passenger dome and my retro-fitted hatch dome I installed both turn on as long as they are set to door and they do so automatically.

2) If the hatch light is in the on position, it will stay on. Same with the rear passenger dome light

3) They will both operate independent of each other, one is not dependent on the other.

Otamiway- where did you ground yours to? Did you ground both separately or did you tie two grounds into one? Also what gauged wire did you use for the ground?

Are you tying the cargo light to the second dome light like otamiway or are you using the cargo wire in the drivers rear pillar?

It was my understanding that 95+ do not have the plug but I may be wrong. Yours works the same as mine except my rear passenger dome lamp comes on with the hatch open as well as my retrofitted/diy light and my rear hatch light comes on my rear passenger door. My rear pass dome has always come on with the rear hatch.

I tied mine into the rear passenger dome, there was no cargo wire in the drivers rear pillar, I spent lots of time looking and searching on mud. My pictures and writeup are in the first couple posts on this thread. Fuzzy pictures but you can get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom