Rear camera relocation kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to buy a Rigd Ultraswing since my 33” spare wont fit under the car anymore. Wondering if either of the kits Rigd offers would work for the GX or if there is an alternate aftermarket solution to relocating my rear camera.

80F136BA-2CFF-4D0A-9E81-036A435D88C7.png

Since you'll be stuffing that in your hitch and rendering it useless, why not just remove the hitch entirely? I think the spare fits without the hitch installed.

I had a swingout bumper and hated it. Makes a chore out of opening the rear. The hitch ones seem even worse.

What I found is that Toyota / Lexus seem to use all manner of rear camera. Almost seems like whatever is on the shelf is what they use today. The kit that SSO sells is a hell of a lot cheaper than what you posted but you have to wire everything from scratch (the kit comes with what you need). It's not difficult just a little time consuming. You'd have to be pretty lucky for the Rigd kit to just plug into your camera.

Not sure if Rig'd has the option of a hitch on the back of their swingout, but I thought someone made a swing out spare tire carrier that had a receiver on the back so even though you had your your receiver spare on, you could still do a spare.
But anyways, another thought relating to Jiggletits post, if you do need to tow a trailer, you can always take your spare tire receiver off and put the spare tire in your trailer!

You can do a kit, but I just relocated my factory camera from the rear door to my swing out bumper.
All you need to do is get a length of 4 conductor wire, and splice into the line between the camera and the wire, extending the camera to wherever you want to mount it.
I made a simple metal mount. You can do the same or if you 3D print, design your own and print it!
You can also make it so it can be mounted both on the back of your swing out and if you remove your swing out, back on a location of your rear door, maybe with a suction cut since it would probably only for temporary? Just some thoughts.

Since you'll be stuffing that in your hitch and rendering it useless, why not just remove the hitch entirely? I think the spare fits without the hitch installed.

I had a swingout bumper and hated it. Makes a chore out of opening the rear. The hitch ones seem even worse.

33 doesnt fit under the truck, even with hitch removed

also pretty sure the rigd still has a tow capacity rating higher than the vehicle's, so his hitch will not be rendered useless

agree swingouts are a pain in the ass

The SSO kit looks perfect!
Holding off on ordering the Rigd Ultraswing because I agree that having a swingout would be a pain in the ass.

Famous last words, im sure i'll have a flat sooner than later and regret this decision LOL

Holding off on ordering the Rigd Ultraswing because I agree that having a swingout would be a pain in the ass.

Famous last words, im sure i'll have a flat sooner than later and regret this decision LOL

I must admit now that I have had my Wilco for a week, including one weekend back and forth to family, inlaws, beach house, etc having to pull a stroller in and out and a bunch of other stuff... the swing out is NOT THAT BAD. thought it would be a major pain in the ass, but even if you have to get in your trunk a few times in one day (which for me is rare) - it adds like 20 seconds to the operation.

Now, if it was raining, or snowing, or something - might be way more annoying. but for regular leisurely stuff, really no big deal. no regrets

Just keep a can of inflatable sealant and a compressor. That'll get you through most anything minor aside from sidewall damage.

I must admit now that I have had my Wilco for a week, including one weekend back and forth to family, inlaws, beach house, etc having to pull a stroller in and out and a bunch of other stuff... the swing out is NOT THAT BAD. thought it would be a major pain in the ass, but even if you have to get in your trunk a few times in one day (which for me is rare) - it adds like 20 seconds to the operation.

Now, if it was raining, or snowing, or something - might be way more annoying. but for regular leisurely stuff, really no big deal. no regrets
It's simple, you just set up your 270 batwing awning first before you open the swingouts and hatch in the rain :rofl:

Just keep a can of inflatable sealant and a compressor. That'll get you through most anything minor aside from sidewall damage.
Installing on board air as we speak and have an ARB Tire Repair Kit onboard already :)
My only issue is that damn low tire pressure light starring at me CONSTANTLY LOL

You can do a kit, but I just relocated my factory camera from the rear door to my swing out bumper.
All you need to do is get a length of 4 conductor wire, and splice into the line between the camera and the wire, extending the camera to wherever you want to mount it.
I just did this for my JW Offroad spare tire carrier. Kind of a PITA, but I got it done.

Reactions: r2m
Installing on board air as we speak and have an ARB Tire Repair Kit onboard already :)
My only issue is that damn low tire pressure light starring at me CONSTANTLY LOL

i think the connection for the TMPS is somewhere in the trunk area. many people have removed or modified it so that it turns the system "off" and the light no longer shows. can't remember the exact location or procedure but there are some threads about it if that is of interest to you

i think every rig i've had for the last 15 years has had the TMPS light on, so i'm totally used to it now haha. would feel weird without it

i think the connection for the TMPS is somewhere in the trunk area. many people have removed or modified it so that it turns the system "off" and the light no longer shows. can't remember the exact location or procedure but there are some threads about it if that is of interest to you

i think every rig i've had for the last 15 years has had the TMPS light on, so i'm totally used to it now haha. would feel weird without it
You can check the Manuals sticky thread here: GX 460 Manuals
or see if Acrad chimes in. He'll probably know right off the top of his head!

The compressor will come in real handy when you need to fill up the kiddo's pool/beach toys, blow the dust off your dash and interior after wheeling on a dusty trail, cleaning off your engine bay, helping out some other poor sole with a low/flat tire who doesn't have air (that alone is worth a Boy Scout badge!), etc.

GX TPMS looks for all 5 sensors. If your plus-sized spare lives in the garage, your TPMS light will be on.

Understood. For some reason I thought the spare was on a swing out and that triggered the light, which was concerning because I’ve been thinking about going the swing out route.

Understood. For some reason I thought the spare was on a swing out and that triggered the light, which was concerning because I’ve been thinking about going the swing out route.
A spare on a swing out will not trigger the TPMS light.

If you want to disable the light, this might work for you.

Anyone moved their backup camera up under the rear spoiler/3rd brake light area? There are 4Runner kits for this and I like the idea. I'm just trying to work out if this is actually a good idea or if I would get the pop-out window halfway taken apart and never be able to put it back together again.

1657644175839.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom