Rear bumper options for 2016+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sedalia

SILVER Star
Threads
Mike from Dobinsons says their bumper fits up to 2015. ARB modular bumper #5615010 also claims fitment only up to 2015. Looks like some have notched the bumper to fit 2016+.

I have an RLC rear bumper on my '17.
VPR 4x4 makes one or imports one.
I'm not sure if the Slee bumper fits '16+.

Yes, I saw the VPR - a little skeptical about it and I would prefer dual swings but it is an option. I have no data on RLC or Slee since they don't claim production or prices on the websites that I could find. Are they custom built?

RLC is somewhat custom, but they don't need your vehicle.
RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper

I think you just have to call Slee. Probably better if you can drop by their shop. They're very well regarded on this forum for their parts and quality of work. Their website and responses to emails and phone calls could improve. I do know the Slee bumper has dual swing outs.

I have an RLC rear bumper and like it a lot, although I haven't installed the single swingout yet. It is definitely not just a simple bolt on and drive away project. You're on your own to figure out how to cap off the ends right behind the rear tires, and mudflaps. The sensors are a PITA, you have to extend the harness, which is a a bunch of very small wires. I didn't mind any of these aspects, so I'm happy with it.

Slee told me on the phone (when I was ordering my rear drawers) that they sell every rear bumper they make, so they don't see the need to advertise on the website. Bring lots of money, it's not cheap. But it is very well made.

Thank you. I will ask to see what the cruiser gods divine and post back. Can you provide a good contact for RLC? I can probably deal with most installation issues although my welding skills are not very good. If they were, I would just make my own. I might have revived the Dissent Offroad thread to motivate him to make some bumpers, but am not too hopeful. Lots of interest but no reaction from Dissent. I have not heard of any bumpers, sliders, or other armor produced, but unsold, for any series of TLC in the 30+ years I have owned and modified TLC's. So I cannot understand why the fabricators will not meet the demand unless they do not have a good business partner to do financing and projections. Pretty sure there is room for another entrepreneur who can operate a basic fabrication shop, import successfully, or outsource/offshore fabrication.

Ben at Dissent off road is indeed making front and rear bumpers. He is just a two man shop and just now has finished the first designs so give him just a bit of time and they will be available.

Thank you. I will ask to see what the cruiser gods divine and post back. Can you provide a good contact for RLC? I can probably deal with most installation issues although my welding skills are not very good. If they were, I would just make my own. I might have revived the Dissent Offroad thread to motivate him to make some bumpers, but am not too hopeful. Lots of interest but no reaction from Dissent. I have not heard of any bumpers, sliders, or other armor produced, but unsold, for any series of TLC in the 30+ years I have owned and modified TLC's. So I cannot understand why the fabricators will not meet the demand unless they do not have a good business partner to do financing and projections. Pretty sure there is room for another entrepreneur who can operate a basic fabrication shop, import successfully, or outsource/offshore fabrication.

You can reach RLC at RLC Welding I've spoken to James on the phone, he's a super nice helpful guy.

Here is a lengthy thread on the RLC bumper, lots of photos.

RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper

No welding required to install. As you probably know you do have to cut the original plastic bumper cover. They are very easy to pop back on and off once you get them trimmed.

I met with Ben over at @sleeoffroad today and confirmed they have a bumper that works on the new model. Pricey, though, and only installed by them which is also expensive. I inspected one closely and it is indeed better than any others I have personally seen (ARB, Dobs, and some others), although at more than twice the cost of the Dobinson, which won't fit my TLC. I'll update with photos if I pull the trigger. Maybe Cristo needs a kidney or website upgrade I can trade.

Thanks to whomever had their red 2016+ parked out there so I could see it in its installed configuration

I met with Ben over at @sleeoffroad today and confirmed they have a bumper that works on the new model. Pricey, though, and only installed by them which is also expensive. I inspected one closely and it is indeed better than any others I have personally seen (ARB, Dobs, and some others), although at more than twice the cost of the Dobinson, which won't fit my TLC. I'll update with photos if I pull the trigger. Maybe Cristo needs a kidney or website upgrade I can trade.

Thanks to whomever had their red 2016+ parked out there so I could see it in its installed configuration

Paging @Mendocino :D

I have an RLC rear bumper and like it a lot, although I haven't installed the single swingout yet. It is definitely not just a simple bolt on and drive away project. You're on your own to figure out how to cap off the ends right behind the rear tires, and mudflaps. The sensors are a PITA, you have to extend the harness, which is a a bunch of very small wires. I didn't mind any of these aspects, so I'm happy with it.

Slee told me on the phone (when I was ordering my rear drawers) that they sell every rear bumper they make, so they don't see the need to advertise on the website. Bring lots of money, it's not cheap. But it is very well made.

The Slee rear is incredibly strong and saved me on my first major wheeling trip 100% due to its rear wings being like blocks of granite (ask @indycole and @TexAZ who were watching from only a few feet away. Twas luck and my Slee Bumper that let me escape what would have been massive damage).

Like you say...not cheap. But first rate strength/quality even if not the best departure angle out there. Also...they stand behind them. As an early adopter of the rear bumper, I had a version they updated after mine went on among the first units installed. Slee brought it up to date for free a year later, which was no small chore. Involved welding and re-powder coating. Solid as a rock in the one spot Christo chose to revise for additional strength.

It is strange that it’s still not on their web site...but I suspect they’d rather not frustrate shoppers since the bumper is in a constant state of more demand than supply.

I think their web site management and accelerated growth is just a lower priority than customer and reputation management. Reckon works well enough for them and they certainly deserve their stellar reputation. As for the rear bumper, I think they don't advertise it because it is still a shop-installation and the DIY-able version and instructions are still being perfected. I also inferred that they really hate to see bad installations of their stuff. If people are screwing up slider installations, you can imagine how badly a modern bumper installation could go wrong.

I'm really not even sure what you mean by no reaction? There are 5 pages and every one has multiple posts by myself.
I also started another thread with our offerings. There are plenty of outsourced imported options out there if quality doesn't matter but there is a reason why items that are built in house by extremely skilled fabricators in America are more expensive and take more time to get than the imported made in China junk. If I was in this to get rich than yes, outsourcing to overseas manufacturers would be the way to go but that is not why I do what I do. We build what we built because we enjoy it and take extreme pride in everything we build and will continue to do so. Definitely no plans on comparing our high standard of quality just to meet demand.
there are very few welders and fabricators that can do what I need them to do and that is why we are a 3 man shop. You will be hard pressed to find a manufacturer that can match the quality and welds appearance in this industry than what comes out of our shop.
IMG_1607.PNG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG

Damn that’s some pretty welding.

whoa, chill! Your welds are beautiful and lots of people, including myself, would like to see you succeed. All I really was trying to convey was a law of nature: supply and demand. If there is unmet demand, there is need and opportunity. So what I meant by "response" is "response to demand", i.e., a bumper that I can buy today. Sorry for not making that clear. My voice is only single consumer seeking a solution.

Speaking theoretically, the definition of consumer demand and how overall consumer demand is met is neither your nor my decision, although you as a supplier can follow your path and hope that consumers will agree. I happen to agree with much of your stated philosophy but it does not affect consumer demand. None of us buy finely crafted American made "everything". We pick and choose according to our desires, needs, and budgets.

I simply didn't know that Slee had them right here and was being impatient and a bit boorish in that post. Hopefully I will be posting photos of my new bumper in a few weeks. I am sure my eyes watered a bit when he told me the price but if he had been so verbally defensive then I would have lost respect. Better to just deliver quality products, take good care of your consumer base, and let the consumers decide if the solution and price is right, along with the other considerations like the nationality of the fabricators. I too have to follow these general principles in my own business.

Sorry for riling you. I truly wish you and your company the best and will support you accordingly.

I will say that this platform has taken forever in the US to get decent aftermarket support for the 200. It’s 11 years old and still a very limited selection of quality mods. I know the reasons (low volume, high cost, blah blah blah), but it does suck how limited the selection of mods and qualified shops is.

Patience is tough— :hillbilly:

Slee has been working very hard with additional engineers working diligently to make the manufacturing process easier. It is incredibly complicated to get right. Unlike some companies who take people’s money...then make them wait forever... He doesn’t do that. He makes a quality design and then doesn’t over-promise on delivery time. Probably one more reason it’s not on the web site.

He charges for the bumper, but man...if you spend time talking with Slee’s computer design guys in person, you begin to appreciate that it’s one thing to do one-offs, and another thing entirely to get reliably perfect designs for like a hundred pieces all working together for larger production.

Key FOB:
-Look how many revisions and months it’s taken for the comparatively limited design of a Shell for key FOB many here have been interested in. It’s taking forever. Now multiply that like 100x where it’s heavy steel...hundreds of angles...a zillion uniquely designed parts that take more than a full shop day to install. Slee is moving right along. Stop by his shop. Every bay full...every day...all day. Never an idle moment.

I hate being patient too. :meh: But there’s a reason why quantity vs quality is always a thing. (OK...unless you’re Apple. haha! -How they crank out 100 million phones at such tolerances is beyond me. But then they have entire cities worth of engineers and a gozillion workers in China).

Similar impatience gets thrown at other shops too like Bud Built and Trail Tailor. But patience pays off.

Last edited:
My business model is quite opposite of most others. I hate making the same bumper over and over. Most of my bases are the same but the customer dictates the final design. So therefore I might have a handful of shells tacked up but that is as far as I go for an "inventory" bumper. My 200 bumpers are similar but I don't think I've made the exact same one twice after build 37 to date.

Now I have the new design about to be released in a couple of weeks and I have a list of 18 guys interested and 14 of them have completely different wants and orientations for their arms and attachments.

I said it when @benc first came on the scene with his modular 100 series bumpers that he was ahead of most other builders. Still to this day no one to my knowledge has the innovation devotion that Ben does and not to mention he is a great guy. Ben's welds are pure beauty.

I come from an oil and gas, industrial welding background and a guy would be fired for trying to make welds like he does. Burn hot and fast within stringent parameters and pass x-ray or you're out of a job. I don't possess the patience to even try anymore new techniques, I'm an old dog after 34 years of welding and inspecting. I know what a solid weld is in my spectrum and my personal preferences.

Even US companies that farm out their parts for cruisers pay a premium; almost to the point they are not marketable to compete with others that sell similar items and make and build in-house.

Also, cruisers are a very niche market. I've spent countless hours and funds bringing parts to the guys for 14 years now and I know that there will be a feeding frenzy and then parts sit for weeks, months, and even years before they finally sell. Talk to others that make cruiser parts and they will say the same thing. First few runs are guaranteed to sell and then if your not careful you will end up with dead inventory and wasted space to put new products.

I'll release my new design and I'll bet that only 2-3 will want to buy, this is the normal ratio for 200 buyers. If that's the case I'll probably deny and move on to something else.

IMO, bumpers take too much time and space for the return received.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom