Re-spooling factory winch with synthetic line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have what I think is a factory Aisin AI-1000 winch in my 1990 HDJ81. The steel cable has served me well, but after a bunch of years on the truck, it's got some kinks and has frayed in a few spots, which makes me nervous about trusting it when I really need it. It was on the truck when I bought it, so I can't claim to be knowledgeable about its history.

I'm curious about re-spooling it with lighter, stronger synthetic line found in modern winches. Is is possible? Advisable? Worthwhile? What do I need to look for or be aware of if I consider this?

Thanks.

no problem swapping over to a synthetic rope on your winch, the only thing you want to watch is your fairlead if its a roller type just make sure the rope cant get snagged or caught between the rollers and damage it, hawse fairleads work well with synthetic ropes

Don't see why it could ever not be possible

Steel line has always suited me fine... Just need to oil it and spool it in well :meh:
Thanks. Agreed steel has always met my needs, but last time I pulled the line I was surprised at how frayed it has become in a couple of spots. I'd rather replace it in town than try to jerry-rig a repair when I'm stuck in the boonies.

Thanks.
no problem swapping over to a synthetic rope on your winch, the only thing you want to watch is your fairlead if its a roller type just make sure the rope cant get snagged or caught between the rollers and damage it, hawse fairleads work well with synthetic ropes
I hadn't thought about that. I've got the rollers and was just planning to string the new line with the existing setup. Sounds like the extra $20 for the hawse fairlead is a worthwhile investment.

Synthetic rope cannot be used on certain winches which develop heat on the drum when braking unless you use some kind of sleeve protector. As it can melt/damage the fiber. Also, you need to be more careful when spooling in sync rope as it can slip between adjacent wraps and jam in the layer below. If this happens when spooling out it can start wrapping back onto the drum in the opposite direction which is no fun to deal with.

Thanks.

I hadn't thought about that. I've got the rollers and was just planning to string the new line with the existing setup. Sounds like the extra $20 for the hawse fairlead is a worthwhile investment.

I currently have two winches (on different trucks) with synthetic line; one with a hawse fairlead and one with a roller fairlead. Both work fine, never had a problem with the rollers at all. As a matter of fact, the roller fairlead is easier to use, since both of my synthetic lines have a protector sleeve on the outside end, and that sleeve tends to bunch-up on the hawse fairlead if you're not careful with it winding in.

i ran viking synthetic line on my warn m8000 and i noticed the first row of line was starting to melt from the heat..I love synthetic line,its pretty nice to work with and no surprise frayed steel wire to poke your hands (even with gloves on),haha..i used an aluminum hawse fairlead with it...This summer we were winching a friends rig up a hill and his synthetic line snapped(it was very well used),we just tied it back together and kept on using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom