Re-gear for H55 w/ 33s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @LazarusTaxa I just came across this thread as I am contemplating 4.10 vs 4.56. As you know I'm in the midst of tossing a H55 in my rig that has 33" tires. Pretty much copying what you're doing because you're so cool.

One thing that I noticed here in Bend is that the elevation plays a large role in this discussion. My stock gears and 33" tires feel great in Seattle, not so great here in Bend.

I'm going to drive my rig for a bit both in Bend and in Seattle once it's all back together with the new trans and stock gears. But my initial thought is to go with 4.56 because 4.10 might not be enough at this altitude. I'm okay if my max speed is 65 mph.

Haha, i'm glad someone thinks I'm cool. My father in law has a 60 here in town that he just had an H55F put in and has 33" KO2s on it (so like 32s).. He did not regear.

It's fine on flats, no complaints there. But yeah, when we head up towards bachelor, it has a lot of trouble and slows down considerably. We took his 60 to get a Christmas tree and I want to say we were in 3rd doing like 40-45 going up past green gate (tiddlywinks trailhead).

I think 4.11s will be a good compromise between having some 1st gear to use in town and being able to climb hills.

I lived at 4200ft when I did my swap to h55 with 33s and 4:10s and it did just fine. Now I live at 2200ft and it’s even better.😎

H55F + 4.11s + 33s is a proven combination. What used to be a good source for 4.11s would be diffs from a FJ62 but those have become scarce. Alternatively you could use rear diffs from semi-floater 80 series axles. This are 4.10 geared but are direct drop ins. Like the FJ62 diffs may be hard to find without high mileage.

Thanks for the input @Godwin and @2mountainfish , would you say that 4.10s would be good even living at roughly 4000ft and regularly driving up to 6000ft?

I'm on the fence as either gearing would be the same investment but the 4.10s might not get me all the way to the sweet spot and that's why I was contemplating 4.56. The mountains we drive up and over are considerable... not quite Colorado but still.

4:56s would probably keep you out of 3rd on some hills, but it will definitely raise your rpm at highway speeds. For me, I really like the ratios in the H55 better then the H42. At 60-70 mph in 5th it puts the rpms right in the sweet spot of the torque curve. Going from second to third is also a much better transition. With 4:56 gears, you will definitely not be using 1st on the street. It’s almost annoying low with 4:10s. I am willing to sacrifice on the hills a little to get the nice cruise in the flats. I use my rig off road but realistically I do more miles on road. Off road the 4:56s will shine in technical situations but I find the lower 1st and 2nd of the H55 very effective. A cheap way to test out 4:10s is buy a used third member from a FJ62, throw it in the rear, disconnect your from driveshaft and cruise it around. Hope this helps. 😎

Thanks for the input @Godwin and @2mountainfish , would you say that 4.10s would be good even living at roughly 4000ft and regularly driving up to 6000ft?

I'm on the fence as either gearing would be the same investment but the 4.10s might not get me all the way to the sweet spot and that's why I was contemplating 4.56. The mountains we drive up and over are considerable... not quite Colorado but still.

I don't drive in mountains often enough to answer the question of 4.11 or 4.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom