Rattle on start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you use the ford adapter can you still use Toyota filters?

I tried many different brands of filters including the small and large Toyota filters and still had a rattle, it disappeared completely with the adapter. The photo shows a small Toyota filter attached but any filter with the same threads will work, however to use a large filter you may need to move the harness connector located immediately below the filter (in the photo) and/or the axle breather assembly.

Curious if those using this adapter use the Ford filter size FL1A or will standard Toyota filter work. I'm tired of spilling half a quart of oil on the side of the motor in my truck and the wife's GX every oil change. Insight is appreciated.

Toyota filters will work. Same thread size.

It's just the oil draining out of the filter when the filter is on its side. Oil has to refill the filter before pressurizing the system. Mounting the filter vertically removes that.

OK then why dont all LC do it?

It's my understanding that the startup rattle has something to do with the timing chain tensioners. @LandCruiserPhil, different tensioners/different years/more miles/less miles could affect this. I installed the Ford oil filter adapter about a year ago that on our 94 (with 265K). All startup rattle is gone and has been since installed.

It's my understanding that the startup rattle has something to do with the timing chain tensioners. @LandCruiserPhil, different tensioners/different years/more miles/less miles could affect this. I installed the Ford oil filter adapter about a year ago that on our 94 (with 265K). All startup rattle is gone and has been since installed.

Replaced cam tensioner with zero effect on start up rattle. After looking at the old and new cam tensioner it looks like it would be hard to go bad:meh:

Any others with a theory on the cause?

IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG

:(

When I first start my truck I get a rattle. It goes away after a few seconds. I presume that this is the time it takes for the oil pump to get oil from the pan to the top of the motor. Am I correct or should I be looking deeper into this? The oil level is fine and so is the oil pressure.

How did you make out w/the rattle/any definitive source? I had EGR valve replaced few days ago, CEL hasn't come back on after 150miles and some highway. Running great, then last two days I've had the exact same rattle you mention.

Mine rattled when I first got it 12 years ago. But it hasn't rattled for years. I fixed all the oil leak and use synthetic motor oil in 0W-40 or 5W-40 weight. I use small AC ultra filters ( have used wix, napa and purolator) all with good results.

I am going against the crowd in that I tried one of the ford adaptors and took it off after he first oil change with it. I wasn't happy with the access to the filter and I don't spill that much when i do a filter change in the normal position.

Am I the only one wishing there was a Japanese 90* adapter? I like the concept but the thought of putting a Ford part on my 80 just doesn't sit well with me...

Am I the only one wishing there was a Japanese 90* adapter? I like the concept but the thought of putting a Ford part on my 80 just doesn't sit well with me...
Grind the Ford label off and you are good to go. Great part imo makes changing the filter dripless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom