Rack mount bushing - how much play is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yet another steering rack bushing thread, but so be it.
My question for the assembled wisdom of MUD is:

How much play is reasonable between the rack and the frame? See the video I've linked to, below.

This is on a 2005 LX470, 140,000 miles. Presumably the original rack and bushings, certainly the rack that was on it when I purchased it at about 100,000 miles. I'm running 295/75R16 tires, wheeling it a handful of times per year, and driving it daily.

It drives fine by my estimation, but in reality there is some obvious slop in the system. Driving at freeway speeds I can wiggle the steering wheel without wiggling the truck. I've never noticed this as a problem, but then again my previous rig and daily driver was an 80-series on 315 MTR Kevlars. The truck certainly tracks straight and does not drift nor wander on the road.

During Cruise Moab last week, I did have an isolated event on PSM where the DS rack boot popped off its seat on the tie rod and expelled a bit of fluid. It was not and is not actively leaking, and the PS reservoir remains full. At some point some fluid got past the internal bushing and into the boot. I went on to wheel Metal Masher (great fun, no problemo at all) and drive back from Moab to SLC, without any noticeable problems.

Dropped it by the shop for some tire re-balancing and alignment check. Shop said it could not be precisely aligned because of the slop between the rack and the frame, although the relaxed condition falls within spec. I took some short video of the bushing slop while the truck was up on the rack with the mechanic pushing on the wheel.

20170510 140kmi LX470.mp4

For now I'm just driving it, but thinking ahead to eventual replacement. How much slop is too much? How will I know when I've let it go too long? What's everyone's opinion on aftermarket poly bushings vs. OEM rubber? Will stiff poly bushings accelerate wear on the internal rack bushings?

Thanks for your time.

Dunno about assembled wisdom but I changed out my rack bushings when I could observe about +/- 4 to 5mm of lateral movement centered on the bolt when looking down through the engine bay at the PS bolt with someone turning the wheel lock to lock. You'll be able to get an idea of just how much lateral movement there is by eyeballing the polishing and lack of grease/dust on the frame cross member caused by the bushing's rubbing. With new bushings there's <1mm of lateral play (after maybe 15k miles) and it drives much tighter. I think I posted some pics of just how elongated and worn my OE bushings and sleeves were - probably in one of the super pro rack poly bushing threads. For the 03+ model years you're compelled to buy aftermarket poly as mr T doesn't sell OE rubber (unless you buy the rack with them fitted) - unless that's recently changed or an aftermarket supplier is now manufacturing rubber bushing kits.

@PADDO I did three pre 03 steering rack bushing replacements last year. Which has large horse shoe bushing on DS and two bushing held in rack on DS with bolt going through. It was a PITA getting the rear upper DS bushing in. That really added time to the job!

With the new design, IIRC started in 2003, they use just one bushing held in rack on each side (DS & PS) with bolt passing through each. Assume this is what your 03 set up is, did you find it a straight forward job to pull and replace the bushings?

Also the FSM states bolts are non-reusable part. Whats your opinion here reuse or replace bolts?

@2001LC its a straight forward job - a couple of large screwdrivers for prying, a cold chisel and 2lb ball pein worked for the easier passenger side and an air chisel helped for the driver side. Super Pro include installation directions with their kit and I think I've posted an image of it in an 03+ rack bushing thread somewhere. I reused the bolts. Maybe Toyota lists them as single use item because they consider the rack a full replacement unit since they don't offer OEM bushings?

Thanks @PADDO I've run across nut and bolts before where FSM states not reusable and reused time and time again like hub flange nuts. I had just notice these at about same time @Layonnn point out trailer hitch issue to me on why I should not grease it. He then gave me a great piece on fastener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom