Quick fuel pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered a fuel pump,spacer and gaskets from coolcruisers for my 85 fj60. The spacer has paper gaskets on each side. Do I still install the separate paper gaskets?

The Toyota spacer/insulator doesn't have a bonded gasket adhering to it, but it looks like you didn't get Toyota parts.

So I would install what came in the box.
Use their gaskets. At least that would be my choice if I had to make it. The gaskets will push the fuel pump out a bit, which is better than being jammed in too far (& breaking the pump arm).

Toyota drawing:
image.jpeg

The spacer is OEM, the fuel pump is after market.
The Fuel pump comes with the 2 paper gaskets by default. From what Im reading is that the OEM spacers now come with laminated gaskets on both sides. Theres a little written up here in post #12
'86 FJ60 Fuel Pump Replacement--No spacer??
Think I'm going to hold up on the paper gaskets and run the spacer with the bonded gaskets.

Hmmm

That doesn't seem right (though may work fine). Whenever the fuel pump is removed, the spacer usually stays stuck to the block and the existing outer gasket needs to be scraped off with a razor and replaced with a new one.

So if the spacer with integrated gasket is installed only... what's someone to do the next time the fuel pump is removed?

A new gasket will need to be used or it will probably leak. So either another paper gasket needs to used or the whole spacer needs to be replaced with a new one every time the fuel pump is removed. That doesn't seem right.

I was under the assumption that the spacer would be replaced as well. The one I pulled off looked as if some one had used some kind of sealant on it. Maybe some one else will chime in.

Hmmm

That doesn't seem right (though may work fine). Whenever the fuel pump is removed, the spacer usually stays stuck to the block and the existing outer gasket needs to be scraped off with a razor and replaced with a new one.

So if the spacer with integrated gasket is installed only... what's someone to do the next time the fuel pump is removed?

A new gasket will need to be used or it will probably leak. So either another paper gasket needs to used or the whole spacer needs to be replaced with a new one every time the fuel pump is removed. That doesn't seem right.

Watch out w/ an after market fuel pump. I fell for that one and the arm got ripped off by my a cam lobe. I have since replaced it w/ the Kyosan pump.

I'll mention that my spacer was on tight to the side of the block. It was smooth w/ no visible cracks or wear around the edges so I only cleaned the facing surface, added a thin smear of fipg (Toyota fit in place gasket) and a new plastic/plenum blue gasket and another thin smear of fipg then the kyosan pump.

@NeverGiveUpYota do you recall where the after market pump was from? I assumed that the coolcruiser aftermarket one would be adequate... figures crossed. After a quick search on the Kyosan pump I'm wishing I spent another $20 on that route.

@NeverGiveUpYota do you recall where the after market pump was from? I assumed that the coolcruiser aftermarket one would be adequate... figures crossed. After a quick search on the Kyosan pump I'm wishing I spent another $20 on that route.
I picked mine up off Rockauto. I did the "aw it'll be fine, those guys just like to spend big bucks" talk to myself and man did I kick myself. I don't even want to go into the money I wasted. Return it if you can and spend the extra $20. All I could figure was that my truck came off the manufacturing line in June '86 even tho its an '87. Could be the fuel pump would be fine for an "older" fj60 but mine is in the "younger" 87 crowd. In my head I see it like the oil pans... I believe the shape of the pan changed 86 to 87.
I could see a hair difference from the pump that I removed to the after market pump I added and should have gone with my gut. Hold yours up to each other, if they vary the slightest bit, don't even bother to install it.

There's been a few (or more than a few) stories of fuel delivery problems and pump failures using new aftermarket fuel pumps (not Toyota/Kyosan).

Last edited:
I bought my Kyosan pump for $87.50 on 1/2/17. Came in a kyosan blue marked box from @cruiseroutfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom