Questions about the BJ series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get into the Land cruiser club, looking at a bj41 right now. Some general questions i have are things like What's the MPG? I can't seem to get a solid answer on this anywhere on the internet. Some say low 20's while others say low 30's/mid 30's.

Also, what's the max speed for the BJ40-42? engine by engine, what can these puppies push? I've seen people say they can get 120kmph and others say 100kmph. What's the Truth?!?! Of course i'm also looking for stats that pertain to the stock engines. And i guess more specifically the 2b engine since it's in the one i'm looking at.

Average of 20 us/mpg with my ex-BJ70 w/3B base on a 100 000km review (best ever 24.2)
Average of 18 us/mpg with my BJ42 w/3B base on a 20 000km review (best ever 21.0)

Gear ratio and tire size make a difference between these results.

You can get 120(+)km/h with a 40 serie Landcruise equiped with a B serie engine but 100km/h is more desirable since these rig are deffenetly not made to drive fast.

What are you going to use it for? Daily driver or just a weekend driver? RHD vehicles get a lot of attention in the US, but they are a bit inconvenient here. I like the uniqueness of my BJ41 since it is driven only occasionally, but I would hate it if it was driven everyday. In that case, a LHD would be a better option.

BJ41's are a little more difficult to find parts for since they are 24v, RHD, and the 2B is specific to Japan. If you want to keep it stock, it can make things a little more challenging. Having said that, I have been able to find most any part I want for mine, but I normally have to look to Japan to get it and shipping is a killer.

I can't speak much for fuel economy since I never really cared much about it, but I can say that 120km/h is about max for mine. It will do it, but it is much more comfortable at 100km/h.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a LHD 12v BJ42.

What are you going to use it for? Daily driver or just a weekend driver? RHD vehicles get a lot of attention in the US, but they are a bit inconvenient here. I like the uniqueness of my BJ41 since it is driven only occasionally, but I would hate it if it was driven everyday. In that case, a LHD would be a better option.

BJ41's are a little more difficult to find parts for since they are 24v, RHD, and the 2B is specific to Japan. If you want to keep it stock, it can make things a little more challenging. Having said that, I have been able to find most any part I want for mine, but I normally have to look to Japan to get it and shipping is a killer.

I can't speak much for fuel economy since I never really cared much about it, but I can say that 120km/h is about max for mine. It will do it, but it is much more comfortable at 100km/h.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a LHD 12v BJ42.

Yeah it would be my daily driver. But i'd be taking the car back to ohio, in an area where 65-70mph is the max you'll ever have to go. 90+% of the time i'd be going less than 55mph. Buying parts from japan doesn't scare me so much as the costs you've illuminated, can you expound?

Average of 20 us/mpg with my ex-BJ70 w/3B base on a 100 000km review (best ever 24.2)
Average of 18 us/mpg with my BJ42 w/3B base on a 20 000km review (best ever 21.0)

Gear ratio and tire size make a difference between these results.

You can get 120(+)km/h with a 40 serie Landcruise equiped with a B serie engine but 100km/h is more desirable since these rig are deffenetly not made to drive fast.

What he said ^

Yeah it would be my daily driver. But i'd be taking the car back to ohio, in an area where 65-70mph is the max you'll ever have to go. 90+% of the time i'd be going less than 55mph. Buying parts from japan doesn't scare me so much as the costs you've illuminated, can you expound?

Since many parts are not available from Toyota anymore, I usually have to search Japanese auction sites. This in itself is not bad, and most auction prices are reasonable. However, most sellers do not ship to the United States, so I have to use a proxy service to make the purchases. In short, their fees for shipment, package consolidation, and protective packaging are ridiculous. Even the smallest items usually cost a minimum of $30-$40 to ship. Most items I have bought cost around $60-$70 to ship. The most expensive shipping for a part was around $100.

If you aren't worried so much about OEM parts, you could probably avoid these problems. If you want to keep it Toyota, you will find it difficult to obtain the proper parts in the US.

I had to source pistons, liners, rings, etc. for my 2B from the Middle East. I haven't found anymore since, even on Japanese auction sites.

Things like power steering components can be difficult to obtain for RHD vehicles. 24V parts, such as an EDIC motor, radio, starter, etc. can be had, but aren't nearly as available as 12V.

It's not a bad thing to buy a BJ41, just know what to expect and be willing to accept it. Cruiser restoration is an expensive hobby by itself, and JDM vehicles make it even worse.

Since many parts are not available from Toyota anymore, I usually have to search Japanese auction sites. This in itself is not bad, and most auction prices are reasonable. However, most sellers do not ship to the United States, so I have to use a proxy service to make the purchases. In short, their fees for shipment, package consolidation, and protective packaging are ridiculous. Even the smallest items usually cost a minimum of $30-$40 to ship. Most items I have bought cost around $60-$70 to ship. The most expensive shipping for a part was around $100.

If you aren't worried so much about OEM parts, you could probably avoid these problems. If you want to keep it Toyota, you will find it difficult to obtain the proper parts in the US.

I had to source pistons, liners, rings, etc. for my 2B from the Middle East. I haven't found anymore since, even on Japanese auction sites.

Things like power steering components can be difficult to obtain for RHD vehicles. 24V parts, such as an EDIC motor, radio, starter, etc. can be had, but aren't nearly as available as 12V.

It's not a bad thing to buy a BJ41, just know what to expect and be willing to accept it. Cruiser restoration is an expensive hobby by itself, and JDM vehicles make it even worse.

Those prices arn't really that bad to me. But i also Don't mind buying OEM. Depends. Might get all autistic when i actually own it and want it to be original. The bj41 in question i'm speaking of also was swapped to LHD.

Iv'e got a BJ41 and if your doing 65 mph youv'e probably fallen off a cliff. Most engine parts are available from Aussie engine supplies and a full rebuild kit costs approx $850.00. The only thing Iv'e not been able to get is the 24v flasher relay.

Yeah it would be my daily driver. But i'd be taking the car back to ohio, in an area where 65-70mph is the max you'll ever have to go. 90+% of the time i'd be going less than 55mph

This is a vehicle pushing 40 years old. If you use it as a DD you will be working on it fairly regularly using imported part$. You would probably save yourself money, work and headaches by buying a beater and storing the 41 for occasional drives. At least when the parts are running late or you got sent the wrong ones, you can still get to work etc.

This is a vehicle pushing 40 years old. If you use it as a DD you will be working on it fairly regularly using imported part$. You would probably save yourself money, work and headaches by buying a beater and storing the 41 for occasional drives. At least when the parts are running late or you got sent the wrong ones, you can still get to work etc.

I bought two bj42 and a bj60. I drive one while I work on the other and camp with the 60. Problem solved!
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG

my BJ60 with a Turbo will cruiuse at 120 Kmh EASY ... not so much in the BJ42 with out a turbo

A 4spd bj42 with the stock tires is up there as one of the slowest vehicles known to man. There is good reason it doesn't come with a tach. You have to rev the crap out of them to be fortunate enough to be called slower traffic. Oversized tires and a turbo are a must just to make it driveable.

2B is not much different than a 3B the internal engine parts are different a lot of the external engine parts are shared with a 3B and there are a couple of parts that are similar to the B . The rest of the 41 drivetrain is the same as any 42 the body is the same as any 40 series other than being a RHD.
The flasher if still available for the BJ42 will fit a 41 ask Dan about availability he seems to be able to get diesel parts down in the USA he is the only one that I know of who has Toyota direct connections in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom