questions about the 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will take that as a yes :rofl:

Well, I have a 2FE (stroker 3FE) under the bonnet of my FJ40. 2F block + 3FE head and injection. Desmoged. Balanced, blah, blah, blah. That engine is a torque monster, and is quite peppy in my light 40. It's pretty too, or at least it was. :cool:

IMGP3582-sm-crop.jpg

..I have read the auto trans in the 22re is problematic, is this true. I found a good deal on one, it has an auto, if this is true, what are the issues?
Thanks

Aren't all autos problematic?

I've never heard of a 4x4 Toyota pickup with 22RE and auto transmission. 4Runners, yes.
The motor is gutless. A T-100 with 3.4 would be far peppier, IMO.

My 89 pickul has a 22re and A340H. Didnt have it long enough to see any problems so I can't make a judgment call on that

I've never heard of a 4x4 Toyota pickup with 22RE and auto transmission.

I've parted out a couple. Lots of them around. That A340H is HEAVY, and like the infamous A440 in the FJ62, if it goes bad, it is uber expensive to have repaired.

It is a little slow to get going but i can keep up with traffic no problem. If you dont tow or haul anything i would say go for it, you just have to drive it like you stole it.

There can be issues with aftermarket thermostats and many swear by the OEM dual stage thermostat. Only overheating i have had was when the timing chain ate through the cover and created a milkshake.

is the 22re prone to overheating as bad as the 3.0 or 4.0 ?

Can't say they're prone but they definitely can blow head gaskets. I bought one in that condition and sold one that blew on new owner after 10 years. He drove the hell out of it though and never changed the oil. That's right, 10 years and no oil change. :doh: Local shop told me that they got a fair number of them coming in for that repair and they no longer would do it because they don't do head work and frequently the head would be warped.

Thanks for all the help here. I am just trying to make a semi-sound decision and not end up in a money pit.

So, here is another question.
I read that AC was an option. This truck has the deluxe package, so it has Heat and Power Air but not cold AC. I know you can add AC to trucks. I am wondering what it takes to make it happen.

Yup. I think Will is still cursing me for taking it out years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom