Question for 5-speed 80 owners. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright you lucky bums. :)
Just wondering, at about 100 km's and hour what is your RPM.
I was told a 5-speed has a much higher RPM on the highway and I am trying to confirm that.

My auto HDJ81 at 95kph on the speedo (103kph on the GPS) is about 2300 RPM.
Tires are 285/75/16

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
H151F gear ratios:
1'st - 4.081
2'nd - 2.294
3'rd - 1.490
4'th - 1.000
5'th - 0.881

A442F gear ratios:
1'st - 2.950
2'nd - 1.530
3'rd - 1.000
4'th - 0.765

So, when your auto tranny locks in O/D, your RPMs will be lower than the guy beside you (same speed, tyres, diff) with a 5 speed manual.

-Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

So according to those gear ratios a 5-speed going the exact same speed as mine with the same tires would have an RPM of about 2650.

I wonder why toyota made the final ratio different?
I can see a little different, but an extra 350rpm is alot over the life of the truck.
Plus that would result in WORSE fuel economy, not better.

How do 5-speed owners feel about thiers?
How do you like it?

I am a 5speed fan, but I am not sure about 350 extra rpm.

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
Thanks for the info Steve.

I wonder why toyota made the final ratio different?
I can see a little different, but an extra 350rpm is alot over the life of the truck.
Plus that would result in WORSE fuel economy, not better.

Cheers,
Nick

Why would it be worse, overall maybe on the highway only, but take into account it is a closer ratio, with lower first to get a big truck moving with less effort, should result in better economy.

I always smile when I see the reference to "lucky 5speed owners " I was hell bent on getting a manual 5spd, now I wish I had have just got an auto, I know this is controversal but a MT 80 H151F is not your average MT, it was nothing like any other MT I had driven before it takes some getting used to! The thing I hate the most is trying to get 2nd when the car is cold, and the hard right into 5th, synthetics helped a bit. Back to the question I would prefer lower revs in 5th for speeds of 120kph, my old man has an 95 auto and the OD is more comfortable and easy going,,
I'l say this though mine is a diesel 1HDFT with intercooler and 5th on the hills is sweeet, I have been fully loaded and not even changed down at 100kph I always enjoy cruising past the guys that normaly pass me on the flats. I havent been able to make a proper comparison with Dads auto as we have differnt tyres

If you give a free swap .. my auto tranny for a 5speed .. JA ! now or yesterday .. ?

Don't get me wrong the H442F is a great tranny .. so comfortable, and for city driving, is simple awesome .. but sometimes I need to get the control ..

But for now my HDJ-80 is a queen .. so no off road, and it means maybe no MT for now .. :D

Tapage said:
If you give a free swap .. my auto tranny for a 5speed .. JA ! now or yesterday .. ?

Don't get me wrong the H442F is a great tranny .. so comfortable, and for city driving, is simple awesome .. but sometimes I need to get the control ..

But for now my HDJ-80 is a queen .. so no off road, and it means maybe no MT for now .. :D

For a second I thought you wanted to swap a manual tranny for an auto.
I would probably take you up on that offer if it was real. But then I realized I miss read it. To bad.. :(
In fact I have considered swaping my Auto for a Manual. This thread was kinda a feeler.
The swap would not happen for a long time. It would probably wait until I drove down to Guateamala to visit cruiser_guy. I thought I could of meet you there. But I am sure I could get a 5-speed (and everything I would need) cheap from a wrecker down there.

Persoanlly, I would like to get a 35" skinny at some point.
I would have no problems running 35's and a manual tranny, and would probably prefer the gear ratio's. RPM on the highway would only be about 2400 or so. According to the math. :)

Cheers,
Nick

no one mentioned that the auto and the 5 spd have different diff gears to add to the equation...
someone correct me if i am wrong but i do beleive the auto HDJ81 is 4.1 and the standard HDJ81 is 3.7... no? i "think" i read this somewhere... (on a ID tag on one of the 5 speed units i brought in, maybe?)

nickw said:
Alright you lucky bums. :)
Just wondering, at about 100 km's and hour what is your RPM.
I was told a 5-speed has a much higher RPM on the highway and I am trying to confirm that.

My auto HDJ81 at 95kph on the speedo (103kph on the GPS) is about 2300 RPM.
Tires are 285/75/16

Thanks,
Nick

The gearing in top on the 5sp is just slightly higher.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=846

Definately here in central america or south we have better ( in price ) manual labor than you in NA, but those trannys aren't easy to find .. and cheap . ? I'm not sure.

Here in Panamá a manual tranny H151 at least 1500 USD .. I hope you can find all that you want .. pedal, flywheel, etc etc etc ..

And my HDJ-80 comes with 4.11 Wayne .. I'm not sure about 81, coz here haven't much of those.

I looked for a 5spd when I was shopping for mine, but was not sure how I was going to like driving it in Japan, with many, MANY traffic lights.

After driving it for close to 9 months I still love it, stop-and-go, hill start and everything. It's not just with the Cruiser, but I just enjoy driving vehicles with manual trannies. I just like having the extra control while driving: keeping it in the gear while cornering, extra stopping power to assist the not-so-great brake system, etc...

I cannot recall the rpm at speed, but it is a little higher than I would like. But after crusing on the express way I hardly notice it. Besides, I do not have any problems with running the engine at higher rpm as long as it was not in the red zone.:D

tmarx said:
Hi gents.
Does anyone have the ratios for the R151f box to compare to the auto, please ?

R151F 5th gear is 0.838:1

crushers said:
no one mentioned that the auto and the 5 spd have different diff gears to add to the equation...
someone correct me if i am wrong but i do beleive the auto HDJ81 is 4.1 and the standard HDJ81 is 3.7... no? i "think" i read this somewhere... (on a ID tag on one of the 5 speed units i brought in, maybe?)

Wayne, here in Australia ALL our 80 series used the 4.1:1. Top gear on std tyres with H151F (or H150F) should be 2450rpm. I do believe as you say that other markets used the 3.7:1 diffs though.

In the HZJ105, they dropped the diffs to 4.3:1 but the taller 5th of the R151F again brought it back to 2450rpm.

My HZJ105 with 1HD-FT and H151F now does 2575rpm @ 100km/h :-(

hdj105 said:
R151F 5th gear is 0.838:1

Thank you.:)

I am batteling to get my hands on a H151F and will initially be forced to use the existing R151F.Some people claim they are not that weak?:eek:

crushers said:
someone correct me if i am wrong

OK, I like doing it but don't know if I can keep up.

All the Japanese 80s with the exception of the FZJ80 from May of 1993 to August 1996 have 4.10:1 gears in the axles.

The above mentioned FZJ80 must also have swing out back doors to get the lower 3.727:1 gears.

Also I is spelled I and not i.

Is that enough correcting for this morning?

:)

Last edited:
hdj105 said:
In the HZJ105, they dropped the diffs to 4.3:1 but the taller 5th of the R151F again brought it back to 2450rpm.

This is a nice notice .. it means that we can search for used R&P from 105 and swap in 80 series with 1HD-T .. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom