quarter panel install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Getting it back together....

20160331_170428.jpg

20160401_132356.jpg

20160401_132410.jpg

20160401_112901.jpg

Nicely done. I recently bought a welder and will be attempting that myself...

After 6 hours of grinding and drilling out old spot welds and removing extra metal, it is nice to have the panel flush. sorry about the blurry cell phone pics. I will try and get some better ones. Pictured is my mentor and friend Charles who has a deep understanding over everything mechanical as well as body work. it's nice to have him to guide me along. Install of the quarter and wheel well and door well in one piece is a bit tricky. The factory made bottom of the "C" post curves out and is wedged between the outer wheel well and the quarter then all three pieces of sheet metal are spot welded from the bottom of the wheel well. I cut out the spot welds on and removed the "c" post bottom off the donor piece. I Wedged the C post on my truck into the slot between the wheel well and the quarter panel. I may try self tapping body bolts to hold it all together rather than try and tack weld upside down. I left a small section of wheel well metal just under the foot of the C post to have extra metal to attach. Didn't seem to affect the piece from flushing up. The old piece of tail light was used to make sure the metal around the tail light lens will be right and that the tail light will fit. We used vice grips and self tapping sheet metal screws to hold the piece tight. Finally Charles used a body hammer to conform small tight corner areas before spot welding. Have to remove the fuel cap before removing the piece and remember to reinstall the fuel cap before grinding and welding!!! We prob fit it 4 or 5 times before we got it right, but I don't think that was bad. I could see having to do it 5 to 10 times if you were running into issues.

Great job on the dogleg, that is a tricky metalsmithing skill.
Charles is good people, we need more like that.

Looks a lot better on yours than what it came off of!! Nice work!

Right on!! More welding today. Some fiberglass and filler and ...Ooopps!! Ran a couple of body bolts up thru the door well. Those were some of the body bolts I used to hold the C post base to the outer wheel well. No problem. Just cut, grind and weld. A little body filler and no one will know. ;)

20160404_142256.jpg

20160404_150947.jpg

20160404_101314.jpg

20160404_102533.jpg

Looks like a really nice job. I've got a quarter panel replacement coming up, hope it looks as good. J

More body work done. Decided to paint the entire vehicle since going this far to prep and paint 2 doors and a quarter. Hopefully will be done by the end of the week. Painting the same color.

DSCN0204.JPG

DSCN0205.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0208.JPG

Purty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom