Quad Cab - 4 door coil sprung shortened troopy/extended swb build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1VD, coils, 5 speed, air[??], steer[??] in a '45?? s*** man that's the ultimate truck! Holy looking forward to this batman.

That 79 has seen better days..

Sorry to here you have changed from full four doors to extended cab. Would have been much cooler, IMO, to be a full four door UTE. You are fortunate to have so many donor vehicles available in your country.

Thats the great thing about the 40 series I guess. Given their ease to build if at some stage down the line, I can change the body. The hard part is the suspension bits, so if I get a troopy body at some stage I might just change it on the chassis. After all its a few bolts and some wires isn't it?.

Depends if the kids want to come out!.

Well I got a bit more done today. Needed to as I have a deadline in 4 weeks where the guy who will be welding the brackets onto the chassis for the suspension and engine has a break so he can do my work. I wouldn't even contemplate doing this fabrication work as my welding skills are okay but as for major componentry, I'd rather pay people who know what they are doing so not to have it fail at some stage down the track.

During that time, I have to get down to the bare chassis, clean it and get rid of other brackets that aren't required for the coils. I also have to get the 1VD-FTV engine out of the 79 series as that will need to go at the same time and have those engine mounts welded onto the chassis. I hope to have the diffs out tomorrow and then start by dragging the chassis outside and give the thing a clean, then will assess the best way to get rid of the rest of the rubbish there, sand blast or some other medium I feel.

Anyway, more progress shots from today.

Engine and gearbox coming out.

DSCN3151.JPG

Engine is a good strong runner, so it will go to a home at some stage. Didn't blow any smoke to worry about.

DSCN3172.JPG

I will use the handbrake part of this old gearbox on my yellow car as the disc brake hand brake don't work that well.

DSCN3173.JPG

Diff out tomorrow then start to get rid of the riveted brackets that will not be required on the new coil sprung chassis.

DSCN3174.JPG

Here's the video of the 2009 79 series running. It will run a few more times in this car then will be pulled out and put into the 45 chassis. Should have this done by the end of the year then onto the body work. Will be using the LX interior panels I have at the rear as they are just sitting here doing nothing so I might as well make a use for them. They are the wrong colour so might look at either painting the plastic, never works, or get some new plastic ones cast up after I have tidied them up. Well see what actually happens.

Last edited:
what i would do for that engine.... the 4.5L v8 diesel is perhaps my most coveted thing in life. i want one for my 45 so bad.

nice enigine there man, and nice build. :D

Well, the planets aligned again today and I got 7 hours in a row on the project. All that means is that I won't have any more time for another 2 weeks probably.

Got the diffs out and also started to get rid of the brackets that I wont be requiring in the new suspension set up. Pretty much down to the bare chassis now so soon I will be cleaning out the years of mud and stones and other wonders then getting some sanding disc onto the chassis to make it look nice.

I will put the chassis on it's side and clear out the other brackets and have it ready for the fabrication in about a month. After I have done this, I will then drive the 79 series into my shed and start striping that out and cutting the cab down. As there is a bit of damage on most of the panels I will be pretty much ripping into it without too much concern for scratching panels etc.... as I want to get the cab off so I can then get the engine and box out.

Then I can start on the BJ42 dismantle so I can use the body to make the rear 3/4's of the total body.

DSCN3217.JPG

DSCN3213.JPG

DSCN3212.JPG

Need to cut out hooped x member to allow the new x-members to be added in the correct place.

DSCN3210.JPG

who knows where this 45 has been and what stories it could tell. It will be able to tell new ones soon enough though.

DSCN3202.JPG

Anyway, the project is coming along nicely. In a month or so I will be working on the body. That will create it own set of interesting challenges. But first I have to strip the BJ42 as that is the rear bit of the quad cab. I'm sure I'll find some rust there as in the ute cab there hasn't been any.

what i would do for that engine.... the 4.5L v8 diesel is perhaps my most coveted thing in life. i want one for my 45 so bad.

nice enigine there man, and nice build. :D

Thanks for the comments, I just hope it comes out in 12 months time as I planned it to!.

It is a great engine, pretty sure people will say just use a 6.5L chevy or new Ford thingy, but we don't get those down under like they do in the States and the cost new here would be quite a bit, probably more than my budget for the whole car. So I have used what is available locally so I can grab parts wherever I am easily enough.

I will also be retaining as much of the Original stuff from the 79 as possible as I know the Toyota engineers worked very hard and long to ensure it doesn't overheat or other things.

mate

you have taken my dream to the next step would love to see a quad cab making its tracks around the place as like you know there are none in australia would love to do a quad cab ute but its hard to find them around these days

bravo zulu mate can't wait to see more pics of the project

Got a bit more done yesterday. Now only have a few of the old suspension brackets on the chassis. Been a day of grinding, (with a 9" grinder and it takes about a minute depending on whether or not you can get the blade in there, you can on most rivets), then a center punch in the middle of the flattened rivet then a small pilot drill and then onto a 9.5mm drill bit. Then a few wacks with the hammer and off comes the bracket. Then punch out the remainder of the rivet and presto.

Used the engine hoist again, has been a great addition to the shed and worked my way around the chassis rotating it so I was working on a horizontal surface. This made it a lot easier as a 9" grinder is quite a heavy thing after a while.

Some more progress pics. Soon the chassis will come out of the shed and I'll drive the 79 series in there and start the dismantling process on that. I'll have to label all the plugs so I can put it back together again in 8-12 months time.

I have had a few people ask for these to fix busted ones, so everything off this car is going to be used somewhere at some stage I guess.

DSCN3224.JPG

a couple of mm off with the pilot drill aim there. The old rivet holes will be filled with a plug weld to retain the strength of the chassis.

DSCN3220.JPG

DSCN3218.JPG

over we go so I can do the rivet heads on the side of the chassis.

DSCN3219.JPG

then the ones underneath.

DSCN3227.JPG

started the de-construction process on the 79 series today. A bit like the 40 in most panels are bolted together so the rattle gun should have it's work cut out for it in the next few days providing work stays quiet.

Have cleaned the 45 chassis and it's outside under the lean too waiting for the guy to be ready for it. In the meantime I will crack on with this and then get onto the Nissan Patrol suspension brackets that I plan on using and cut them away from the old chassis I have.

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

I was moving the body yesterday and the saw horse that it was on got stuck in a crack in the floor. Well, body fell off and landed on the front RHS and bent it back. Being a 40 though I pulled it back into line and then whacked it with a hammer. Will leave fine tuning for later.
DSCN3241.JPG

some of the Nissan Patrol suspension brackets ready to be cut away from the chassis.

DSCN3240.JPG

Nice washed chassis now free from layers of mud.

DSCN3231.JPG

Looking good mate

This is going to be good...
I have wondered why someone hasn't put a 1VD in a #J4# before now. Looking forward to how this turns out.

Got some more time in the shed today so pulled most of the dash out.

Will be leaving the wiring until the last thing as I want to check that the thing still runs with all the pulling of stuff I am doing.

Anyway, it's coming apart nicely. Was a bit iffy with the airbags but found the controller and disconnected that and then pulled the plugs near the airbags and kept my fingers crossed that they didn't go bang on their own accord.

79 series Passenger airbag
DSCN3249.JPG

Dash pretty much down the a few things. The dash is 50mm wider than the 40 dash so with some mods it can be fitted but I like my late model dash as it is.

DSCN3251.JPG

Nice update are you going to lengthen the chassis to suit the extended 45 cab or run a shorter style tray.

Wheelbase will be 120" so hoping that it will all fit there nicely.

its going to be like a troopy with 4 doors. I called it a quadcab and should be able to seat 7 in 2/3/2 arrangement. As I have a few 40's here I thought I'd amalgamate them into something I can take the family away in.

No tray as such like a dual cab.

A bit like this but will have a roof.

DSCN3057.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom