Builds Putting the rust demon at bay (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

repairing the rust demon is not as hard as you may think, just time consuming. Though a 3/4 may be the best option.

I agree that with enough time I could possibly get a good tub out of this thing. I don't feel I have the time that it requires to make it right though. On top of the tub, I need to finish the 350 conversion, fj60 power steering and anything else I stopped working on 12 years ago.
I could use the practice on the welder though- I was looking at the drivetrain mounts I did way back when and I'm beginning to wonder about those....

congrats.

I know this is a bit off the original topic, but I want to make this my build thread to keep me motivated-
I have done the mini disc swap and have a FJ80 power steering box and related linkage on the way. What will it take to make this mini knuckle/FJ40 linkage(?)/FJ80 steering box marriage come together. I think I can manage mounting the box, but the money is flying out the window and I'm trying to make it slow down. So what are my options on creating a happy marriage with these parts?

Good to hear parts are on the way. I'd lay a big bet down that you will finish this project. I've been keeping a close eye on the classifieds here on Mud. There have been some really good deals struck lately. Now that you have plenty of parts to install, it might behoove you to search for deals on future needs! Keep the "pedal to the metal!"
This guy @Mace can perhaps give you help with steering.

Cheers!

You did order the tub, right?:)

What parts do you currently have on the way for the "marriage"?

What parts do you currently have on the way for the "marriage"?
I have all the 40 stock steering parts, minus the outers. These are currently off the vehicle. On the truck- mini outers, discs, calipers and "j" steering arms. Next week, I'll have the 80 box, pitarm, draglink and tie rod. Assuming the 80 stuff is in good shape, what do I need to connect all this together? I did a little surfing and found mini steering arms that take 80 joints. Is this a worthy upgrade over the j arms?

J arm will not be used. You can cut the J part off and reuse the arms tho.

I'm assuming spring under? If you are Spring over, you are going to need new arms anyway.

The mini arms are not the diameter you need for the 80 series stuff. But 60 series TRE's will work. What you need is a custom drag link and Tie rod. You can easily have the Tie rod fitted with 80 series on one end and 60 on the other.

40 series parts won't work on the conversion. they are too small.

Yes my lc is SUA.
I read some where that the J arms are weak, but I think they were referring to the "J" portion. Is this correct?
Would the aftermarket arms be worth it in terms of strength? They use the 80 TRE's and they are stronger, correct? This would allow me simply shorten the 80 drag link( I don't have it in hand, but in theory it sounds good). This would also get me into "newer" parts, making them more likely to be sourced in the future.
Thanx for the advice.

As a SUA I would not do aftermarket arms. It'll cause more trouble than they are worth. I run 35's on my 60 with Hydro assist and am locked up. Stock, FJ60 low steer. The arms have never loosened up on me either (a standard problem with hysteer systems).

60 TRE's are likely stronger than the 80 tre's. 80 stuff is also designed to have the Tie rod behind the axle. So there is no mount on the PS TRE for the drag link. Aftermarket has already stepped up for 60 stuff. So "newer" is not as big a deal.

Here's another thing I was considering getting: a nut and bolt kit. FJ40 RESTORATION MUST HAVE JIS YELLOW ZINC FLANGE 8.8 BOLT/NUTS 850 PCS FULL KIT
This may seem to go against what I said about slowing the flow of money, but where I live is somewhat remote and the store are closed(and limited inventory) on Sunday's. So this would be lifesaver for me. So has anyone bought this or something similar?

I used the place @GA Architect posted up. The lady who runs the office was very nice and sent everthing in a storage case. Here's a link:
Stainless Steel or Yellow Zinc - Nut & Bolt Kit

This kit has been very handy. I got Stainless. I would get more m6,m8 & m10 flat washers if I had a do over.
image.jpeg

I bought in bulk from Zoro for stainless hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom