Purist Bone Stock FJ-55 - The next chapter!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where's your pump located??😏🤔🤔

Frame rail just behind the front of the rear spring mount. Pump is lower than the tank.

20220326_170919.jpg

Rear filter has been replaced with a clear low pressure unit. Front filter is the one I have had apart.

Hot springs 1 - WarPig 0

Not sure what I'm doing wrong... fuel issue is not resolved. 1 trail run and it died about 100 yards from the exit... finally got it running and once I got out, stopped on an incline and have gas running out the seam in the tank on the PS. Nursed back to camp and when I rolled in i am pretty sure the fan started doing the exact same thing it did last time it pooped the bed....

So we are back sitting nursing my pride with a cold beer and a stogie and trying to work out my next move...

Sorry to hear that, thought you might of solved it.
Me too, but I was determined to bring it and send it. I tried, now I'm just going to hang out and visit with my extended family for a couple days.

Proof it did run for a minute. And when it did, it ran strong and well.

30166523432653.jpeg

30166523663146.jpeg

Guess we are ripping out the whole fuel system this winter and starting over. We will return for the next wheeling season.

I wonder if whatever was clogging that screen filter is still in your tank...
We'll find out I guess. I'm going to us a 12v battery and pump the tank out. Figure double filtered it can go back into the gas cans for re-use.

Then gonna drop the tank out.

Plan currently is to drop the old tank out and see what kind of shape it's in, but regardless of that, I'll have the spare tank dipped. Then in will go the new tank. Along with a fresh pump and filters and new 3/8" supply and return lines from tank to fuel rails and back again. That and a proper vent system and I believe I'll have it sorted. Won't know what fixed it exactly but as long it's fixed.

The theory(s) behind all that 1) there is likely trash in the tank 2) the return line may be too small for the return flow 3) the tank may not have a good vent. All these or some combination there of are causing the pump to get hot and potentially boil fuel, which is starving the motor and explains the hard starts when it's hot. If the return is too small, or partially blocked on the tank end, it would also contribute to the pump "dead-heading" which is also gonna cause heat build-up. And the tank is clearly junk. So all said, seems like a do-over is the answer for this. Talked to @fountainhead about it this weekend and we surmise that they knew this was going to be an issue, hence the reason a new tank with a sump and AN bungs came with it. Once I get that sorted, we'll see if the cooling fan issue shows back up.

But before all that, ima learn to make new brake lines for my 80...

From a ‘75?
Yes, I believe so. I am not positive as I haven't been able to find any of the original build information, but im guessing it is the original tank

Thank you @PabloCruise I appreciate the offer, but the Pig came with what looks like a d@mn near new, or at least very well preserved replacement tank.

20221011_191646.jpg

It's been sitting and I broke one of the five screws off removing the sending unit.
20221011_191717.jpg

But I think this sending unit probably will work if I want to install a guage.
20221011_192257.jpg

The inside looks new. But I'll have it cleaned and dipped for good measure. The visible rust I believe is from sitting for the last 7 or 8 years.
20221011_192108.jpg

20221011_192058.jpg

Sump with AN fittings already installed in the bottom.
20221011_192635.jpg

I would have put it on the opposite side from the exhaust, but it looks to be far enough away. (Taped a CAD mockup in place to see)

20221011_193958.jpg

Just enough room for the lines to tuck right under the rear body cross-member and be protected by the rear "bumper"
20221011_194123.jpg

So plan is to drain and drop the old tank and rip out all the existing plumbing. Install the new old tank in its place. New 3/8" supply and return (return will be plumbed into the old fill and return fittings) all the way. And just because I tend to over-do everything, the rear pump will be a "lift pump" to fill a new sump that I'll mount in the engine bay.
20221011_195337.jpg

Oil filter mock-up. I'll relocate the two relays on the fender and mount it to what's left of the old inner fender. Then plumb that into the feed and return on the rails...

I'll have no idea what actually fixes it, but it should be fixed...

Now to start squirreling away parts for the overhaul.

And I have these laying around and since the lighting leaves a little lacking, so probably some new headlights and then these inset behind the grill.
20221011_203102.jpg

Or something simialr.

Looking at things, the tanks are different. Not sure what year is what, but the tank in the truck has the current pick up and return coming out on the passenger side front.
20221011_205924.jpg

And has a plethora of lines on the drivers side that are looped off.
20221011_210028.jpg

The other tank only has 2 lines on the drivers side and nothing on the passenger side. And also doesn't have a vent for the filler neck.
20221011_210126.jpg

It also has this plugged hole in the passenger side corner.
20221011_210152.jpg

Wondering if the tank with the sump is an older tank and the other one is a newer tank that would have had more hoses connected for smog purposes. Have to do some investigating. I don't necessarily need the extra holes, but the filler vent seems like it would be good to have.

a plethora of lines on the drivers side that are looped off.
Those 4 lines are factory routed to a vent in the inner fender, then forward to a charcoal canister, looks like other than possibly your cap you’ve had no vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom