Purist Bone Stock FJ-55 - The next chapter!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @Dusten I take no credit other than I am writing the next chapter in this one.

And I started working on the wiring and realized I don't do enough wiring to have all the bits I need/want to finish it up. So I'll be surfing the net tonight for wiring supplies.

I decided I'd try to get started on the fuel pump... I'll be damned if I haven't misplaced my 3/8" Earl's hose clamps, so dead end there too... so looks like I'll be shoping on summit tonight too.

I did get the 4xinovations can holder primed, painted and assembled.
20220320_181002.jpg

I need to get some door edge trim for the edges to keep from scrapping the sides of the cans up.

After I dead ended on that I figured I'd work on my tank swap on the tow rig.

20220320_182312.jpg

I'm swapping a 33 gallon bronco tank into the rear of my old Ford. I'm sure looking forward to filling it up with some $4/gallon non-ethanol once it's finished up.

We have a ride the end of April, so I'll be in the shop in the evenings trying to wrap up all these projects ahead of that.

He's not really that old. 1997 F250. BB460 truck. I call him Bumble

0729181734_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Well the fan runs and holy hell does it move some air. Jumped it off the battery after getting advice from the SPAL application engineer. Guy knows his S and shot me straight when it came to sizing. Now just have to finish it up so I can move onto the fuel system

Electrical connectors ✔️
Crimp tool ✔️
Fuel Hose clamps ✔️
Pipe plug socket ✔️
50A fuse and holders ✔️

Amazon brought me all kinds of goodies today. I should be able to knock some things out this weekend.

Well, I knocked out the wiring for the fan today and got the temp sensor in the PS head. 5/16 pupe plug socket and the big impact made short work of the plug, then a little dope and the sensor went right back in.

20220326_140954.jpg

The wiring is as tidy as I could get it. The PS inner fender is pretty crowded. May have to look at a shelf or something if much else need to go in.

So after that I dove into replacing the fuel pump.

First thing was to get a shut-off just outside the tank. Just in case.
20220326_170827.jpg

Then all new Wilbro pump, new pre and post filters, and then tied back into the existing lines.

20220326_170919.jpg

I made a big dang mess, but all done and no leaks, so win.

20220326_170559.jpg

Victory was short lived I'm afraid. While the new fan and sensors seem to have taken care of any future overheating issues, the fuel pump has not helped my hesitation under acceleration issue.

Starts strong, idles a little high, then when you hit second at about half throttle its like it hits a wall. Lurches around and acts like it's starved for fuel. Let off, back to idle and it will putt along. I don't know alot about this motor, so I'm going to have to do some reading. TPI 350 is all I know.

Anybody got any ideas as to where to look. Fresh pump and it seems to run just fine. I don't think it's clogged at the tank. Should I be looking for a vacuum leak, checking the fuel pressure, .... im open to suggestions.

Thanks

Well, I knocked out the wiring for the fan today and got the temp sensor in the PS head. 5/16 pupe plug socket and the big impact made short work of the plug, then a little dope and the sensor went right back in.

View attachment 2963377

The wiring is as tidy as I could get it. The PS inner fender is pretty crowded. May have to look at a shelf or something if much else need to go in.

So after that I dove into replacing the fuel pump.

First thing was to get a shut-off just outside the tank. Just in case.
View attachment 2963379

Then all new Wilbro pump, new pre and post filters, and then tied back into the existing lines.

View attachment 2963378

I made a big dang mess, but all done and no leaks, so win.

View attachment 2963376

Victory was short lived I'm afraid. While the new fan and sensors seem to have taken care of any future overheating issues, the fuel pump has not helped my hesitation under acceleration issue.

Starts strong, idles a little high, then when you hit second at about half throttle its like it hits a wall. Lurches around and acts like it's starved for fuel. Let off, back to idle and it will putt along. I don't know alot about this motor, so I'm going to have to do some reading. TPI 350 is all I know.

Anybody got any ideas as to where to look. Fresh pump and it seems to run just fine. I don't think it's clogged at the tank. Should I be looking for a vacuum leak, checking the fuel pressure, .... im open to suggestions.

Thanks
Pre-pump filter can be low-pressure, yes? Like one of those clear plastic jobs that will let you see the flow?

Anybody got any ideas as to where to look.

Pre-pump filter can be low-pressure, yes? Like one of those clear plastic jobs that will let you see the flow?

Correct. I had a clear one in there before. Could swap one back in to see.

Thank you for the reference @J Mack

I'm going to pick up a fuel pressure guage this afternoon to check on that. I will check that link out and see what kind of info I can glean from it.

I'll keep you posted

Well the rabbit hole is deep. I'm learning. Like since the air filter is bolted straight to the throttle body, it is likely a 90-92 Corvette 350.

The fuel pressure guage doesn't lie. Right at 34 psi at idle, which is already below the 38 I've been able to find.
20220327_170257.jpg

But drops to 20 psi when you Rev it.
20220327_170302.jpg

I blipped it a few times and did a few second Rev, all consistently dropped to or below 20.

Also, as soon as I shut it off it immediately started dropping and was at 0 within a few minutes, so not holding pressure at all.

I'm kind of thinking that the reg failed first, which likely caused the last pump to fail.

Looks like I'm about to put a regulator diaphragm in and go from there.

I wouldn't expect it to hold pressure for more than a few minutes.

The regulator doesn't hold pressure anyways. That's in the pumps
Well the rabbit hole is deep. I'm learning. Like since the air filter is bolted straight to the throttle body, it is likely a 90-92 Corvette 350.

The fuel pressure guage doesn't lie. Right at 34 psi at idle, which is already below the 38 I've been able to find.
View attachment 2964218
But drops to 20 psi when you Rev it.
View attachment 2964219

I blipped it a few times and did a few second Rev, all consistently dropped to or below 20.

Also, as soon as I shut it off it immediately started dropping and was at 0 within a few minutes, so not holding pressure at all.

I'm kind of thinking that the reg failed first, which likely caused the last pump to fail.

Looks like I'm about to put a regulator diaphragm in and go from there.

That's good to know. Still learning about these fancy fuel injection systems 😆

That's good to know. Still learning about these fancy fuel injection systems 😆
Your on the right track with the fuel pressure, no amount of other work will make it right without enough pressure at the injectors.

Well, was out of town this weekend so when we got home after some work on the tow rig, I pulled the upper intake to get ready to install the new regulator.
20220403_183756.jpg

All this to get to the offender...
20220403_183811.jpg

Nee diaphragm and gaskets should be here on Tuesday, then I'll get it swapped and we'll see how well it holds pressure.

Figure I'll get a fresh set of plugs in there while I got it torn down.

Well, was out of town this weekend so when we got home after some work on the tow rig, I pulled the upper intake to get ready to install the new regulator.
View attachment 2970874

All this to get to the offender...
View attachment 2970875

Nee diaphragm and gaskets should be here on Tuesday, then I'll get it swapped and we'll see how well it holds pressure.

Figure I'll get a fresh set of plugs in there while I got it torn down.

"While I'm in there"

Famous last words

Lol, yeah. But I'm on a deadline so not go8ng too far down that rabbit hole if I can help it.

If regulator does not seem to solve your issue, might want to investigate an in tank option. In line pumps don’t lift much. Looks like you have a high point between the suction end in the tank and the suction side of the pump. Air accumulates. Also when off camber on the trail there is a chance you will not get fuel to the pump. You may have already mentioned why an in tank option was eliminated. Sorry if so. @FJ60Cam does sell a move in tank kit. My son put one on his 40 LS swap and it works like a charm!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom