Pulled a Ricky-Bobby, Prices to fix body damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well last night I slid off the road into a ditch. Managed to mess up the front of my dent free cruiser:frown:

I was wondering if anyone else had got damage like this fixed and about how much did it run you. Thanks for the help!

Bumper bar is $800 from Toyota (very hard to find used). Fender - used or reman - $200-400. Valence is $100-150. Including paint and other work, probably $2000-2500+

Looks like you got lucky. maybe this is the excuse you have been looking for for a winch style front bumper (ARB etc) as they run about $800 iirc. You might be able to straighten your now bent front bumper. The front end of the vehicle will probably have to come apart...this is something you could do in your garage....if you do the work to get things apart and then have a shop either paint replacement panels or fix your old ones you will save some money and be able to be sure that assembly/disassembly is done correctly.....body shops don't always have the best track records for the assembly side of things.

Looks like you got lucky. maybe this is the excuse you have been looking for for a winch style front bumper (ARB etc) as they run about $800 iirc.

I like your thinking! I'll probably take your advice and remove the panels myself. Which bumper do you all recommend? I've looked into the ARB and the 4PLUS but haven't seen any other options.

Ok. I have to ask. How did you end up in the ditch with the best off road/road worthy vehicle on the planet?

Did you hit black ice?

Did you not have it in 4wd?

Were you horsing around and smoking something?

Maybe you dodged a small animal. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Ok. I have to ask. How did you end up in the ditch with the best off road/road worthy vehicle on the planet?

Did you hit black ice?

Offroad tread tires are ok in the snow but definitely not snow tires ;) Looks like one of those ditches that you get a little close to and it sucks you right in....add a little speed and I can totally understand this scenario.

Did you hit black ice?

Yea I messed up really bad. Feel free to give me s*** for it. On my way up the road it was raining. I was going to do snow removal at my grandparents, by the time I had finished the temperature had dropped enough to cover the road in slush and bad black ice. 2wd and a bit too much speed was a recipe for disaster.

If you have to ask you can't afford it!
This is true as well. Just trying to find out how many extra hours Im going to need to work:rolleyes:

Offroad tread tires are ok in the snow but definitely not snow tires ;) Looks like one of those ditches that you get a little close to and it sucks you right in....add a little speed and I can totally understand this scenario.

Your exactly right on that ditch. As soon as I got a bit close there was no recovering. Maybe if I had 4wd engaged, such a small decision could have saved me all this trouble:bang: Well you live and learn I guess.

Buy a used fender and get it painted to match. Bolt the old one off and new on.

You can easily straighten that valence out...probably by hand no less. And once you put an ARB bumper on, you won’t even see the valance.

Biggest expense will be the bumper. Around here a fender is $150-$250, and getting a shop to spray it is about $100.

Buy a used fender and get it painted to match. Bolt the old one off and new on.

You can easily straighten that valence out...probably by hand no less. And once you put an ARB bumper on, you won’t even see the valance.

Biggest expense will be the bumper. Around here a fender is $150-$250, and getting a shop to spray it is about $100.

It turns out my dad used to own a 60 which he sold and is just sitting in a field. Ive talked to the owner who is a friend of my dad and he is willing to sell me the bumpers for very cheap. They are custom made from Proffits Crusiers, I have done some research and am think they should fit. He said I could try installing them and only buy them if they fit. Would the fender off a 60 fit on a 62? From a quick glance they look the same but maybe there is some small difference. If they fit there is a chance I could pull the fender of the 60 and put in on my 62.

There is a minor difference in how the headlight surround/signal fits. Very minor. Easily overcome.

As for the bumpers, most aftermarket (arb, etc) require the factory bumper brackets to be removed. These are riveted to the front each side if the frame. Grind the rivets off and remove the brackets. Keep them if you change your mind in the future.

I’ve only seen Proffit’s 40 bumpers, and those look nice. I think you’re probably on the right track.

There is a minor difference in how the headlight surround/signal fits. Very minor. Easily overcome.

As for the bumpers, most aftermarket (arb, etc) require the factory bumper brackets to be removed. These are riveted to the front each side if the frame. Grind the rivets off and remove the brackets. Keep them if you change your mind in the future.

I’ve only seen Proffit’s 40 bumpers, and those look nice. I think you’re probably on the right track.
Awesome thats good to know! Using these parts should save me a pretty penny!

The guards will work but if you want the light to fit nice you will have to swap the light mounts. Drill out spot welds etc.
Or you can bodge it by removing the bits of the 62 mounts that are in the way with pliers and use a self tapping screw to hold the headlight door on. Not pretty but it works in a pinch.

There is a factory chrome bumper on my local CL for $190 FYI. I could grab it if you want to go that route.

That looks like a part out to me buddy. Shoot me a PM and we’ll talk some numbers. :p

Really?? That would work super well! How much would you charge? I need to make sure I have enough money
Looks like the part is pretty close to me. I'm not looking to make any money on you, just offering to help out. Look into Mudship or get some quotes from Fastenal or uShip and I can pick it up and send your way.

Here's the link, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom