Public Service Message - Check Your Nuts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elkaholic

Left turn ...freakin wipers!
SILVER Star
Threads
At the risk of having the PO panic, I am posting this ...

I was installing 1 1/4" spacers on the rear of my BJ74 today to match the spacers that are on the front of the truck. Install was going smoothly ... I was on the first spacer and had the tire back on with the lug nuts finger tight. I started torquing the nuts to spec and on the second nut, as there started to be some resistance (maybe at 30-40 lb-ft), the resistance suddnely went to nothing ... WTF?

Then the head of the nut came off :censor:

These are Toyota mag style lug nuts and AFAIK, they are original. I have never seen a lug nut separate like this, but I can tell you that I am replacing all of them ... see the pics.

Soooo ... the moral of the story is this: on our 20+ year old trucks, check your nuts ;)

Bad Nut 1.jpg
Bad Nut 2.jpg

PS ... Charles .. no need to apologize for this please ....

image.jpg
If you'll check section H-7 of the fine print (paragraph 8, subsection 3B) you'll notice that the warranty does not cover any nuts below the roofline.
Glad you discovered the issue.

So that's what is in the microdot on the contract! ;)

Sam -

That's what you get for trading in a perfectly good LHD 73 for a RHD 74 that needs work.

My nuts are just fine - I check them regularly, but they don't last very long.

Definitely not original to the 73.

upload_2015-9-20_14-30-44.png

Seriously, I replace the lugs when I buy a new old rig as a matter of policy.

Last edited:
So that's what is in the microdot on the contract! ;)
I may have had my thumb over that section when you signed the documents. :)
My bad .....

:lol:

In all seriousness, I have never seen a lug nut separate that way and considering it is the shoulder that holds the wheels on, I am glad this one and more did not separate at 75 MPH about 11:30 last night .... That would have been an interesting ride :eek:

:lol:

In all seriousness, I have never seen a lug nut separate that way and considering it is the shoulder that holds the wheels on, I am glad this one and more did not separate at 75 MPH about 11:30 last night .... That would have been an interesting ride :eek:
I wonder if it suffered from being over torqued at some point.

I think so ... Most of the studs had some anti seize residue on them which makes it very easy to over torque the nuts ....

All new hardware ...... But I'll readily admit I was going for "shiny" as much as I was going for structural integrity.
image.jpg

The reality is that every time you torque down a lug nut, the bolt stretches a tad. Over time they will metal fatigue. Having them over torqued by air wrenches all the time speeds this up. Replacing them is always money and time well spent. Glad you did this in a shop and not on the road.

Welp ... went to install the lug nuts that arrived yesterday from Amazon ... see anything wrong here?

P9230593-small.jpg

Both bags in the picture are the same part number, but only the ones on the right are correct. I ordered 5 bags of 4 and 4 of the 5 had been opened and repackaged. Furthermore, it appears that the packages with conical seat nuts contain used lug nuts .... :censor:

NAPA will have me fixed up tomorrow, but that means some wrenching before I load up for the Cullman event ....:mad:

I would have, but the local parts slinger (not Onur) wanted $10 each for the damned things ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom