Wanted PTO Winch Mounting Shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for a full set of mounting shims for PTO winch. Ideally located north of the border to avoid customs charges etc.

@pardion what ever happened to the shim/wedge project? There are more wanting these than available. Sadly many times when a PTO winch gets removed the shims/wedges go MIA. The lower small wedges are especially hard to find. Find them anywhere would pay shipping, customs fees and be happy to get them.

John, I have been frying bigger fish.
There’s an understatement! I don’t know what I would do if I had to empty out my place like you had to do.☹️

There’s an understatement! I don’t know what I would do if I had to empty out my place like you had to do.☹️
Thanks for the concern @65swb45.
So glad the Fire did not get here, and feel sorry for the folks that don’t have a home or anything to come home to.
Leaving a 45 at one daughters and the 25 at the other daughters until fire season is over.
as far as the winch wedge shims go, Ken found some off the shelf construction shims that would work fine.

These are the same washer types I sent you John.

I am also relieved to hear the fire didn’t get to you John.
I too rushed up there to Pollock Pines that Tuesday to get a bunch of vehicles out of my folks house.
Crazy day I will never forget. I actually saw your 45 SWB on a trailer. I was sitting on Pleasant Valley Rd and Missouri Flat (pulling a trailer as well) waiting for the light to turn green when you guys drove by me. My mom’s house was spared.
Moved her back in last Saturday but the two old Fords are sitting in Shingle Springs.

Thanks for the information for possible sourcing options. I will do some searching a building supply companies here.

My thoughts go out to everyone affected by the fires. It has been a horrible fire season.

Very glad to hear you guys didn't burn, was in the same boat a year ago today, not a fun experience, and a bit overwhelming to evacuate all the junk we seem to all have!

Very glad to hear you guys didn't burn, was in the same boat a year ago today, not a fun experience, and a bit overwhelming to evacuate all the junk we seem to all have!
I don’t mean to mess up this thread but yes, it was extremely stressful. My mom was out and really, that’s all that mattered.
We didn’t know how much time we had. When I left on the 2nd trip of hauling stuff and cars out of there, I just stood there and you realize, it’s just stuff. As long as nobody gets hurt, that’s the priority. Then when its all past, you think, why do we have all this stuff? And to John’s statement, “ until fire season is over”. Not sure if that’s going to happen this year or anytime soon. It’s so fricken dry up there, it’s scary! Even though the fire didn’t get to the house this time doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen tomorrow!

I'm still thinking about casting these from originals. Need that round tuit first.

I'm still thinking about casting these from originals. Need that round tuit first.
That would be interesting to see the step by step documentation on that. Would you use bronze?

Undisturbed shim picture…. care of @whitey45.
05C0584E-B6AD-42BA-B632-503CE17A5DE1.jpeg

I've got a good source here in phoenix that can do cast iron. Spoke with @pardion briefly and should be able to get a set to me sometime soon to use for the mold. If there's a demand I can get a batch made and just pass them on for whatever cost the casting guy gives me. I know I need a set myself, might as well get them to everyone else that needs them. Unless someone else already has this going? Don't want to step on any toes. @HelloKitty65 or @FJ40Savvy

@FJ40Savvy what are you making yours out of?

Also very thankful they've got those Tahoe fires under control, we were there in July when we thought the smoke was bad but it got so much worse. Its scary how dry everything is there, I'm sure the locals won't feel comfortable until they get some consistent precipitation.

Last edited:
Someone made a copy of my fj25 originals. Check the 25 forum.
Mike

I've got a good source here in phoenix that can do cast iron. Spoke with @pardion briefly and should be able to get a set to me sometime soon to use for the mold. If there's a demand I can get a batch made and just pass them on for whatever cost the casting guy gives me. I know I need a set myself, might as well get them to everyone else that needs them. Unless someone else already has this going? Don't want to step on any toes. @HelloKitty65 or @FJ40Savvy

@FJ40Savvy what are you making yours out of?

Also very thankful they've got those Tahoe fires under control, we were there in July when we thought the smoke was bad but it got so much worse. Its scary how dry everything is there, I'm sure the locals won't feel comfortable until they get some consistent precipitation.
Step away, and save me a set! I was going to try bronze just for fun, but the originals look cast iron.

Step away, and save me a set! I was going to try bronze just for fun, but the originals look cast iron.
The cast iron ones would be the best option to try and match OEM however way above my pay grade and skills. I'm making mine out of mild steel. I have a manual mill which allowed me to create the angle on them and dimension them as close to the original as possible. There are pictures below with a quarter for size reference. I still need to drill the holes and clean them up but that will have to wait until Louie is parked for the winter.

I have a lead on a CNC machinist that might be willing to make some. I have given him the dimensional information. He was going to let me know if he is interested in making them. Stay tuned.

Shim Machining.jpg

Large Shims.jpg

Small Shims.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom