PTO Winch Information (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Believe if your willing to pay the freight you can still get the hook and chain new from Japan. Problem is Toyota sells it as part of the cable and shipping that would be very expensive. Thought I had a trade worked out for another rare parts. Took a month in the mail to get here. When it did it was a empty flat rate box that had come open.:bang: So years later still looking for one. I've had better luck acquiring two direct split transfer case PTOs then the hook and chain.:(
Thanks for your insight. I may look into figuring out what the cost would be to get it to Texas. Humm when u say get it from Japan, I’m assuming from Toyota?

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight. I may look into figuring out what the cost would be to get it to Texas. Humm when u say get it from Japan, I’m assuming from Toyota?

Just Google 38340-60010 that is the part number for wire with chain. Shows sub of 38340-60050. Wire with chain for the electric winch for the 40 series is 38340-60040. Price of the part itself is enough to make me pass.

Hey fellow mudders. Need to revive this thread a bit.
I have a PTO winch on my 61. After a year of vehicle ownership I’m finally getting around to checking it out. It definitely needs servicing so I want to remove the winch to clean it up and get it working again. Is there anyway to leave the transfer case and drive shafts alone.....and just remove the winch at the bumper? Meaning leave everything in place and just disconnect one of the U joints? Or where the driveshaft meets the winch?
Or.....do I have to literally remove the entire winch with driveshaft and gearbox to disassemble the winch from the shafts?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Jay

You should be able to remove just the winch, separating it from the driveshaft at the slip joint. You'll have to remove the shear pin first.

ok thanks. i'll give it a try. I'll heavily spray the slip joint with blaster. are there any other tricks to loosening that joint?
heat? something other than blaster?
thanks
jay

I have done exsacltly what Scrapdaddy said .
You just need to tie the shaft to the teme o something else , in order to avoid it bumping around

My experience

My winch had seemingly never been removed. Slip joint was rusted solid. Fortunately, Ihad a rusted front cross member that needed to be replaced. After I took out the pillow block, I had to cut the bottom of the cross member and drop the slip joint out the bottom.

It took a shop press and ye old smoke wrench to loosen that slip joint and free it up.

Good luck, I hope yours comes out without event.

Well I got super lucky. The sheer pen came right out. I unbolted the sub frame that holds the winch and the whole thing came right off pretty easy. Is there such a thing as a PTO winch Rebuild kit? There’s a little bit of gear oil leaking out where the slip joint was. But also wanted to just take every thing apart completely, clean and blast everything, then repaint it and put it back together and reinstall it.

I don’t think your gonna find any rebuild kit, but I think for peace of mind alone it’s well worth taking it apart cleaning, and painting!

Good luck!

I have rebuild a couple of PTO winches , it is not difficult ,
Basically you just need to take all apart and
change gaskets ( home made).
Bearings , 2 for worm gear ,
Oil seals , 2 for worm gear shaft,
New oil , important GL4 , for yellow metal .
And a nice coat of painting , for a 40 year great exsample of engineering.
And you are done .

Ok that’s good info. So:
- how do I make gaskets? Never did that before. Just use liquid gasket maker?
- where do I buy new oil seals and bearings? Are they some standard size?
Copy on the GL4
Thanks for the info!

Well I just did a basic google search and realize I can find bearings and seals online somewhere. Or do you have a reliable vendor you’ve used in the past?

I live in Milan Italy, so quite far from your place.
We have no problem in finding metric bearings , any hardware shop may have them .
I don't know in your area how it works.

I appreciated one of the early postings in this thread that had a scan of the mechanical winch instructions in it. They were a little hard to read so I thought I would scan the instructions I found in the owners manual for my 1991 diesel pickup HZJ75. I think it may apply to all 75 series.
1580830572485.png

1580830589805.png

1580830611155.png

1580830639070.png

Does anybody know if one could operate the winch manually? (without help of engine, turning it by hand).Turn it with a lever like the oem jack for example? I can see the worm gear shaft sticking out the front of the winch (bumper bar side). it is round shaped with a slot machined into it. but there is no hole in the bumper bar to operate it with a lever.
Searched all over the forum couldnt find any info on this topic, help would be very appreciated.
TIA

Reactions: flx
LandHJ45Cruiser, I don't know which car and Winch you have , but as a general rule :
old winch models ,like the Bj 40 series have a protruding shaft on the worm gear .
and you can attach a rotating handle to make it turn .
if you have a more modern winch , like the ones on the 80 series , unfortunately this shaft is missing .
so you can't manually operate the winch .

Thank you for the reply, it is a 1977 HJ 45 LP KW, how do you attach the rotating handle to the front of the winch wormgear shaft (bumper bar side)? There is no hole in the bumper bar to reach the shaft with a handle, was the handle included with the vehicle from factory?

if I remember correctly the out come of the worm gear shaft is under the level of the bumper .
I personally never saw the OEM handle to turn the shaft , or ever heard of any one doing it , nor knowing if the force required .
but the possibility is there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom