PTO Winch Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You seemed to have already have a good grasp on what the problem was just not what was actually causing it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple that you were overlooking. Hopefully my post will help someone later on that needed the info.

I really am curious to know what exactly is causing your problem. I am leaning towards a mix of parts from different years and a PO who did modifications to the original setup. It always helps to actually fix a problem instead of jerry rigging something to work. Unfortunately many PO go for the quick fix instead of the real fix.
I’m hoping that with in the next few days I’ll be pulling the pto out and see what’s going on with it. I’ll post what I find.

Good morning. So I pulled the pto yesterday. I’m sure there is something I don’t understand about how this work...here’s what does make sense. When the lever is in the middle position the lower gear is not engaged with the output gears, when the flat level is pushed forward the reverse gear is engaged with the larger out put gear, when the flat lever is pulled all the way back the reverse gear is moved directly under the smaller output gear. But because irs smaller the two gears do not mesh/engage....what I’m I missing? Thanks!

AF9A5380-3F48-4C05-8D63-9C239C101417.png
I have been doing a bit m research, and may have found something

@Billsboat
Your PTO unit looks like mine. In your picture, let's assume the actuating lever (the flat bar sticking straight up, with the hole in the top for the shifting linkage) is in neutral, so the input gear (that meshes with the transfer case) is free wheeling, not driving the PTO unit).

If the lever is pulled forward with the linkage, the output gear is engaged directly to the large input gear, and the PTO drive shaft turns in the opposite direction as the input gear.

If the lever is pulled backward with the linkage, the output gear engages with the "reverse idler gear", and the reverse idler gear is constantly engaged with the small input gear. In this case, the PTO drive shaft turns in the same direction as the input gear.

I believe that your shift linkage (or the hole in your transmission tunnel cover) has not been adjusted to allow you to shift into the forward or backward position, which only provides you the result you are observing.

EDIT: There is also the possibility that someone removed the reverse idler gear, in which case, pulling the lever backwards will just disengage the output gear.

Also, FYI, if you don't have one yet, I think the boot for the lower shaft is still available.
So if I’m understanding you right, there should be two input gears ( the lower gears) ? If that’s the case, that is my problem. I only have one lower gear...the reverse(?)

@Billsboat

"when the flat lever is pulled all the way back the reverse gear is moved directly under the smaller output gear. But because irs smaller the two gears do not mesh/engage....what I’m I missing? Thanks!"

ANSWER: the "reverse idler gear"!!!!!

Once again, since your page back button isn't working,

INPUT GEAR: the two gear combination that face the transfer case when installed.

OUTPUT GEAR: the single gear on the shaft that drives the driveshaft that goes to the winch, that the lever moves back and forth when you shift from WIND to UNWIND.

REVERSE IDLER GEAR: the gear that the smaller of the two input gears is engaged with, that when you shift into WIND, will turn the output gear in the direction that winds the winch. IF YOU SHIFT INTO WIND AND NOTHING HAPPENS, THIS GEAR IS EITHER MISSING OR NOT IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!

FROM POST #121, ABOVE, A WEEK AGO:

"If the lever is pulled backward with the linkage, the output gear engages with the "reverse idler gear", and the reverse idler gear is constantly engaged with the small input gear. In this case, the PTO drive shaft turns in the same direction as the input gear.

EDIT: There is also the possibility that someone removed the reverse idler gear, in which case, pulling the lever backwards will just disengage the output gear."

The smaller of the two input gears (that stick into the transfer case when the PTO unit is installed) is supposed to drive the reverse idler gear, which then drives the output gear that is moved back and forth by the lever when the lever is in the right position. IF there is no IDLER GEAR between the input gear and the output gear, the PTO unit will not WIND the winch.

73fj40,

Thanks so much for the information and more importantly, your time! Your clearly an empathetic and patient person.

Last edited:
F25634FE-E65F-4298-B8E4-646E952ABF84.jpeg
CC4ADA23-EFA2-4FEA-BA78-D01A57731CAF.jpeg
@Billsboat

Not really, just tell me you understand the PTO unit's operation and let us know what you find out, with pictures!

Thanks.
Your last write up is what did it for me. Well that along with the service manual u posted too. Again, thanks for your time and effort! As u suspected the reverse idler gear and spacer are missing.

So now the question is, how hard will it be to find just the gear and spacer. I’ll post “wanted” in the classified and see what I find

So I’ve had a want ad up for a number of days now, and so far I’ve got two guys wanting to sell me the hole gearbox. I’ve got a price on one for $350 plus shipping . The case itself is beyond repair, so I’d salvage all the gears. Not sure if I could recoup anything on selling the rest of the gears. Any suggestions, or leads on where else to look. Thanks for any input!

PTO winch parts are higher than a cats ass....
Depends on how bad you want it to work properly. The only chance of cheap parts is a seller who doesn’t know that he has.

hOOter

Hello

do you know if the complete joint 37420-60020 or 37420-60031 is available in aftermarket parts ?
Do you know the sizes reference of these parts ?

I am looking for one for my BJ46 , the one just after the wich is missing

Thanks in advance
Laurent

I think it is very difficult , or almost impossible to find as second hand .
Even as a new spare part it could be very difficult , and expensive .
Why not consider to make one .
if you are not in a hurry , and know some millers they can

Hi all, I’m putting out some feelers. What are the chances of finding oem chain and hook for the oem winch?

Renago, thanks for responding! I thinking ur probably right, but I figured it would not hurt to ask. Maybe someone will see this post who knows about one.

if you want to have a perfect OEM hook and chain , that's ok .
for a lot less you can easily find after market hook and chains , in any good work shop

if you want to have a perfect OEM hook and chain , that's ok .
for a lot less you can easily find after market hook and chains , in any good work shop
I agree, in fact I have a hook and chain I was thinking of using if my search comes up with nothing or comes up with something I can’t afford. Thanks for your suggestion!

Hi all. Question, did the winch come pre-loaded with cable from the factory when new, and if so what was the length and diameter. Thanks for any insight! Bill

Hi all, I’m putting out some feelers. What are the chances of finding oem chain and hook for the oem winch?

Believe if your willing to pay the freight you can still get the hook and chain new from Japan. Problem is Toyota sells it as part of the cable and shipping that would be very expensive. Thought I had a trade worked out for another rare parts. Took a month in the mail to get here. When it did it was a empty flat rate box that had come open.:bang: So years later still looking for one. I've had better luck acquiring two direct split transfer case PTOs then the hook and chain.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom