Project Snowball: my 4runner is overheated and is leaking coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my spare 37 from Treaddepot because their prices were good and they would ship a 37 UPS vs freight.

well, bit of an update:

I had some time today to work on the 4runner for a bit.

Figured out why i have an exhaust leak before. My exhaust manifold and exhaust connection had only one nut connecting them instead of three. The doughnuts were pretty crispy too.
Just wondering, but would a leak here cause my O2 code to pop up at higher highway speeds(above 70mph)? My O2 sensor is right there at that junction.

The head is ready to put on just as soon as i clean up and tap the block for the head bolts, which i plan to do tomorrow. I've heard that its easier to put the head back on with the lower part of the intake and the exhaust manifold on. I'll just need a friend to help me lift that heavy assembly of metal.
I plan to have the major engine stuff done tomorrow!

This morning i picked up some more parts too!

A rear view mirror with the build in lights. Fancy
2nd gen stock brass radiator to replace my radiator barn rad with corroded out fins. Needs an acid soak and rinse.

V6 Brake MC, dual diaphragm booster, and some v6 4big piston calipers.
This should help me stop mo-betta with the 33s(which are still not in stock:frown: )
IMG_20120331_145911.jpg

a bit rusty, but i'll clean them up and see if they work. If not, core charge!
IMG_20120331_145924.jpg

two 2nd gen roof racks to span the entire length of the roof.
IMG_20120331_145803.jpg

IMG_20120331_145749.jpg

oh yea, I got this in the mail yesterday!!!
IMG_20120330_153206.jpg

i'm gonna order some TG sliders. Want to help me weld them on?

Yeah, we can do that. May not be too pretty, but they won't budge.:hillbilly:

Looks like with the upgrades, you've put more $ into it than what you paid for the truck itself. I like that!

Lol. yup. New shoes will be almost double what i paid for the truck. The otherf add-on's so far are more than double what i paid for the truck... :)

I'm still pretty stoked on the deal that i got on this truck. I paid at least 1k under market value for what it came with from what i can tell with all the threads i've read on the interwebs.

Still SOOooo much cheaper than mods to the cruiser...which are also planned.

well, that didn't go to plan.

I've got the timing cover mostly back on, but the two oil pan bolts that attach to the bottom of the timing cover are slightly misaligned by maybe 1/16 to where i cannot get the thread started because the edges of the oil pan bolt holes are in the way
This could be because i'm using a new timing cover and the alignment might be off a hair. I already have black rtv that is now cured inbetween the oil pan and bottom of the timing cover.

Is there any foreseeable problem with opening up these two oil pan bolt holes a tad? I don't think this will affect the sealing surface, but wanted to ask and see if this is something that i should not do. I'll likely use a dremel tool with a die grinding bit.

figured i'd do a little update. I haven't had much time to work on the runner as its the end of the semester.

well, i had everything ready to put the head on and was motivated to do so, then realized that the crank pulley was off by 12degrees. I tried rotating it manually and it would only move counter clockwise about 5 degrees. I thought the chain was binding on something, as the timing cover was glued and bolted in place. checked to see if the truck was in gear, quick check revealed nope.
so i had to remove the accessories and timing cover to investigate.
after wrestling with a freshly set rtv'd cover i finally got it off.
no chain bind, but pulley would still not move clockwise.

I thoroughly checked if the truck was in gear...and yup. 1st gear. Truck must have rolled back a little bit to throw the timing off.

instead of moving forward, i've gone a step or two back.

word of advice, don't stack crap in the drivers seat that will impede you from jumping in and checking things out.

thought i'd share my frustration. I'll be working on the truck tomorrow and start it up this weekend.:steer::steer::steer:

He contacted me by email so I sent him that link already; there's a bunch of good 'Zuzu videos on Isuzu Van's page (youtube user name). I know, I know, they aren't Cruisers; but for anything less than a TLC, these are tops!
CLCCdecalVER1-1.jpg

as an update to this overly long project

I've lost a few pieces, but these in particular
Untitled.jpg

They are the little lock clips that hold the electrical connectors for the fuel injectors and some other connectors.
The parts stores look at me like i'm crazy when i ask for some.
Do i need to go through toyota to get these? They seem simple enough that it shouldn't be a Toyota only part.

I need 6 of them to hook the connectors back up. I'd rather not make them if i can buy them or use something else in their place.

Paperclips and duct tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom