Build Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those rav4 are nicely built and mostly built in Japan or at least ours was on the window sticker. It’s time for the Mrs to get something like a 250,550 or Highlander but I don’t like the new drivetrains as much as those. (And I don’t know if she needs a higher center of gravity vehicle.)
Your daughter should have a good introduction into Toyotas with that. Fun age.
 
Those rav4 are nicely built and mostly built in Japan or at least ours was on the window sticker. It’s time for the Mrs to get something like a 250,550 or Highlander but I don’t like the new drivetrains as much as those. (And I don’t know if she needs a higher center of gravity vehicle.)
Your daughter should have a good introduction into Toyotas with that. Fun age.
I seems to be a great fit for her. We just got back from a drive and she really loves it. The VIN starts with a “J”, so I’m pretty sure it’s built in Japan.

It checks a lot of boxes…4WD for the mountains where we live, great fuel economy, safe, great stereo (her only requirement), and of course, Toyota.

It’s my first hybrid. Got a few things to learn on how these work from a mechanical standpoint.

Nice interior too.
IMG_0870.webp
 
Very nice car for a hs age driver also. Updated stuff and good mileage. My wife’s has lane ast that gently pulls you back into a lane if you wander. Yours might also.
I think hers is a 17 model we bought in 16. Surprisingly has a nicer interior and more updated features than my 18 gx460 I use for work.

Only issue in 10 years of ownership is a small weap/leaking strut for back hatch.
Good size vehicle also. Reminds me of my pre 2004 Tacoma before Toyotas gotta alittle bigger.

She should have lots of room for a few friends, pets and books or stuff if she moves to college.
 
Last edited:
Very nice car for a hs age driver also. Updated stuff and good mileage. My wife’s has lane ast that gently pulls you back into a lane if you wander. Yours might also.
I think hers is a 17 model we bought in 16. Surprisingly has a nicer interior and more updated features than my 18 gx460 I use for work.

Only issue in 10 years of ownership is a small weap/leaking strut for back hatch.
Good size vehicle also. Reminds me of my pre 2004 Tacoma before Toyotas gotta alittle bigger.

She should have lots of room for a few friends, pets and books or stuff if she moves to college.
Absolutely.

This one has all kinds of cool little features that are more in line with the wife's LX than my Tundra. Impressive.
 
Something came home with me today.

Got a lead for this 1988 truck right down the road here in Divide. 141,000 miles, original owner, all records, etc. Looks sorta rough on those rear fenders but drives absolutely amazing. Always wanted one of these little trucks and couldn't really pass it up. Will be fun to learn more about the venerable 22RE.

IMG_0928.webp

IMG_0917.webp
 
Will be fun to learn more about the venerable 22RE.

The 22R family is one of the best engines that Toyota has ever made, IMO. The only real weakness is the timing chain guides; as they wear, the engine will still run just fine, but if neglected too long there is enough slop that the timing chain will saw through the alloy timing chest and connect the cooling system to the crankcase. The lesson here is, don't wait too long to inspect and/or replace the guides. The stock ones are plastic. There used to be a vendor that manufactured metal replacement guides, but that was 25 years ago. Let me see if I can find a bookmark or something that references him.

Edited to add: Pretty sure the original vendor that made these was DOA Racing Engines in Arizona. Here is their web site, but it doesn't look like they sell just the parts anymore, I guess you could call and ask. I did find several other vendors on the interwebs that advertise them; no idea how they compare to the original DOA ones that were a work of art.

https://doaracingengines.com/
 
Last edited:
The 22R family is one of the best engines that Toyota has ever made, IMO. The only real weakness is the timing chain guides; as they wear, the engine will still run just fine, but if neglected too long there is enough slop that the timing chain will saw through the alloy timing chest and connect the cooling system to the crankcase. The lesson here is, don't wait too long to inspect and/or replace the guides. The stock ones are plastic. There used to be a vendor that manufactured metal replacement guides, but that was 25 years ago. Let me see if I can find a bookmark or something that references him.

Edited to add: Pretty sure the original vendor that made these was DOA Racing Engines in Arizona. Here is their web site, but it doesn't look like they sell just the parts anymore, I guess you could call and ask. I did find several other vendors on the interwebs that advertise them; no idea how they compare to the original DOA ones that were a work of art.

https://doaracingengines.com/
Thanks. The previous owners were super meticulous and had it inspected or replaced, they couldn't remember. This one makes zero noise. Supposedly frequent oil changes make them last the life of the engine too.

Yeah from what I've read, the 22RE is absolutely bulletproof.
 
Thanks. The previous owners were super meticulous and had it inspected or replaced, they couldn't remember. This one makes zero noise. Supposedly frequent oil changes make them last the life of the engine too.

Yeah from what I've read, the 22RE is absolutely bulletproof.
time to update that signature line.
If you do a thread on it, please post here. Would enjoy following along.
 
time to update that signature line.
If you do a thread on it, please post here. Would enjoy following along.
Will do. I've got it parked over at the cabin for a few days while I get an action plan put together.

I removed the plow yesterday. She's glad to be rid of that heavy thing forever.

IMG_0938.webp
 
Came across something a little different.

My guess is a couple of old pups that loved exploring these trails back here with their owners. Great place for them to spend eternity.

Gave my dog a long hug after we left here.

IMG_0946.webp
IMG_0947.webp
IMG_0948.webp
 
I feel your pain! Dropped my boy off three hours ago. I’m an emotional wreck. Now I’m stuck with 3 (three) girls plus the mom. 😭
 
I feel your pain! Dropped my boy off three hours ago. I’m an emotional wreck. Now I’m stuck with 3 (three) girls plus the mom. 😭
I totally get it. Been a tough day.

CSU here. Where’s your boy?
 
Carson
We dropped our son off 8 weeks ago. It is so weird not having him home. Not sure how long it will take to be the new normal. I wish you luck. I am also outnumbered 2 girls to one guy.
 
Carson
We dropped our son off 8 weeks ago. It is so weird not having him home. Not sure how long it will take to be the new normal. I wish you luck. I am also outnumbered 2 girls to one guy.
Dropping my oldest off about broke me; his first Christmas home we were walking past each other in our narrower-than-standard hallway to the bedrooms and I realized that this house wasn’t big enough for two men.
 
When my oldest son was born I was in the delivery room. I cried as soon as I saw him and didn’t really understand my emotion at the time. The day we drove him to college I cried the whole way. I knew life was now different from what I had known for the previous 18 years. I knew he would never live in our house again and be there every morning and night where I knew he was safe. It took me until sometime during his 2nd year to realize it was going to be ok for me and him. I realized he was becoming his own man and things would never be the same and they weren’t. He is 35 now and I’m more proud of the person he has become than I could have ever dreamed back then.
 
Back
Top Bottom