Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love having a tailgate, but I also like the period-correct look of the square rear windows on a late-model hard top. So, I decided to take the road less traveled and find a set of bottom-rusted amby doors that are candidates for something along these lines:

I'll be tackling this project over the next couple of months. Here's a set that are on the way over from @JVZii, since even the uppers on mine were too trashed to work with. Interesting that it is a mustard 40 with Mississippi plates.

Definitely following this with interest. I just purchased a set to do the same thing. My original doors are in too good of shape to hack up so I was thinking I'll keep them and have the option to run those or the half doors and drop down tailgate.

I really like the hybrid rear door idea....seems like it would make much more sense with a rear bench too! Hoping i can find a top soon for 'ole red... By the way, really great speaking with you yesterday!!

Great speaking with you as well. I'll keep an eye out for a hard top for that pretty red 40.

As a side note, @complacent one owns my former 1979 FJ40 from years back. Really fun to reconnect with an old rig and make a new friend.

Electrical progress. @Drewk gave me a clean used fuse block to try out and tinker with. Nearly everything has come to life after some light sanding and cleaning around the connectors at the block. My original one looks as though moisture had gotten the best of it over time.

However, I am still going to install a new one from @Racer65 to make it all new again.

First run with new cable and Dewalt drill. Besel is not yet permanently installed.

I like how turned out. At one point I wanted to update odemeter to white mat instead of the original only because it was hard to see. I also seen the the wrap around LED mod which look good but I wanted closer to original. Anyhow, at end I intalled some bright LEDS and painted backside white to reflect the light to the front. I also used the bright neon orange model paint at Wal-Mart to paint the needle. After ten years paint still looks good. I wish mine had the pin strips though.....and the soft top. Your rig looks really nice. Keep the upgrades coming.

Broke the 1,000 mile mark on Project Pikachu today on the way to the Denton Airport. Sitting at a little over 66,700 miles now.

As we often do, my son and I flew to Fort Worth to a great little burger joint, then came back to the home field, put the plane away, and spent some time with the air traffic controllers in the tower. It is quite a vantage point, and these guys really piqued his interest in radar screens and the choreography of aviation.
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG

My windshield wipers have not worked correctly since I bought this rig. I always assumed that it was the linkage, but haven't really driven this rig in the rain yet, so I didn't worry much about it. But, I'm starting to plan some real trips in the coming months and I need stuff like this to work.

So, I pulled the defrost vents off today and exposed the linkage and 40 years of dust and debris inside the window channel. Linkage appears to work just fine. Turned out that I didn't have the wiper arm nuts cranked down tightly enough. Added a couple of washers, tightened things up, and now we are in business.

I love the small victories.

Before:

After:

Broke the 1,000 mile mark on Project Pikachu today on the way to the Denton Airport. Sitting at a little over 66,700 miles now.

As we often do, my son and I flew to Fort Worth to a great little burger joint, then came back to the home field, put the plane away, and spent some time with the air traffic controllers in the tower. It is quite a vantage point, and these guys really piqued his interest in radar screens and the choreography of aviation.
View attachment 1641821 View attachment 1641823

Good job Dad 40's and flying memories!

Although it may be a few weeks before I start cleaning up the hard top, things are happening.

Rear hard top kick vent window showed up today. The current one is plexiglass. Must've been some sort of field overhaul many years back. I want to replace this sort of stuff with original OEM while it's still sorta easy to find on the used market.
IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2042.PNG

So the Super Swampers on my HJ47 were due for a tire rotation. Decided to swap shoes with Pikachu while I was at it. I'm kinda digging it. In fact, the 10.50s look better proportioned to the bigger HJ.
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG

They also pay homage to my former mistress, coming full circle.
IMG_1086.JPG

Here is a product worth looking at.

Pikachu came with crusty old seats and gray headrests. I replaced the seats with a nice used black set, but the old headrests didn't match. Well, I know this is a camping rig, but I still love the little improvements.

Did some research and found this paint, which is made for vinyl and supposedly very tough. About $8 on eBay.
IMG_2057.JPG

Cleaned up the old set of headrests and it all turned out quite nicely.
IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

Drove across town today and suddenly started having intermittent brakes. Eventually, no power brakes at all and hissing from the booster. This was my last drive before heading down to LSLC Roundup next weekend. Vacuum hose to booster looks fine.

Drove across town today and suddenly started having intermittent brakes. Eventually, no power brakes at all and hissing from the booster. This was my last drive before heading down to LSLC Roundup next weekend. Vacuum hose to booster looks fine.

New booster on order?

Enjoying following along on this thread! Neat to see an old cruiser resurrected/improved. Can you share some data about the rear seat set up you have? Looks interesting to me. Thanks! PM if you don't want it all out there ;)

Cheers!

Funny you should be having this issue, as I just started asking the question about
@Racer65 brake boosters...

City Racer Brake Booster

Lots and lots of really positive comments.

Actually, this brake booster is a City Racer booster that I installed a year or so ago. He is expediting me a new one to swap out. Perhaps it is something caused by my installation that has created the issue, but he is graciously covering it under warranty. I hope to swap the new one in this week.

I've been nothing but pleased with their products and support and would recommend them for sure. Great place for obscure parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom