Project - Not so Nice (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jon, I do not know how to fix your specific leak. But I will tell you to not be hard on yourself. I was upset over one leak or another with a build. Heather told me that she was surprised I did not have more start up issues than I generally do. She laughed a bit at me and stated, you take these things apart down to a bare frame and a bare body and put them all back together with a motor never intended for that truck. A couple leaks should be expected at first. Figure them out, fix them and drive the wheels off that thing.

Beautiful build!

Is it coming from the gasket (behind the cover) or through the bolt holes? It's been a while, but if those big bolts are through holes, not blind, then they should be installed with thread sealer. Don't have a 2F FSM handy to look at that page, but I do recall having to use thread sealant on some of those bolts.

I know the timing cover should be put on loose, followed by the harmonic balancer and then the timing cover should be tightened down last. That way the crank seal centers on the crank. Those who have not followed that sequence often find their new crank seal leaking right off the bat. Not sure what to say about the leak on the bolts except that Johnny most likely nailed it.

Is it coming from the gasket (behind the cover) or through the bolt holes? It's been a while, but if those big bolts are through holes, not blind, then they should be installed with thread sealer. Don't have a 2F FSM handy to look at that page, but I do recall having to use thread sealant on some of those bolts.

That's right JC - thread sealer on those bolts. There are so many different places that damned area can leak, I've had to tackle them all... and the crank pulley seal is still killing me.

I 'beleive' it is coming from those bolts and yes they are trhough bolts. I coated them with ultra black when installing but maybe that was wrong and should’ve used threadlocker instead.

I know the timing cover should be put on loose, followed by the harmonic balancer and then the timing cover should be tightened down last. That way the crank seal centers on the crank. Those who have not followed that sequence often find their new crank seal leaking right off the bat. Not sure what to say about the leak on the bolts except that Johnny most likely nailed it.

Yep. Did it exactly as you described. That’s what is so frustrating.

Maybe what happened is I didn’t tighten those bolts enough then they leaked a little then when I tightened them that broke the ultra black seal allowing them to leak but differently. Fxxx IDK.

Yeah, ultra black is not a thread sealant, nor is *most* loctite. Better pull those bolts off, smear them with thread locker, and reinstall.

It says it's a thread sealer, so yes.

Done...now fingers crossed it at least slows down the leak. It's definitely not coming from the crank seal but could also be the front oil pan arch seal. But the bolts leaking would drip down on that part of the pan to make it look like it was leaking too.

Nice man! I'm sure you did, but make sure to clean it good and proper to find any new leaks.

Driving it to the meet and greet this weekend? Do I hear a yes?

They look great. I put those same seats in our FJ Cruiser at about 8 months from when I bought it new. Great seats. Bolsters can be difficult at times but well worth it once seated. Great off road in combination with 4 point harness. Locks you in the seat and all your arms do is drive, far less arm fatigue.

Working on getting some tunes. @GLTHFJ60 remember these speakers, they're like NOS now!

Pair of Kicker KMT60 tower speaker pods and an older JL Audio 2 channel amp (jx360/2). I have no desire for a head unit so I picked up this cool gadget --> MBT-RX

Haha, that was a whole house ago! You and Steph are gonna go deaf with those right behind your heads, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom