Project - Not so Nice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great, Jon. Are those tires too heavy for you to roll around, or are they not perfectly round??????? :lol:

31219618524_02d1c6aeaf_z.jpg

You going to go through the rear bed for shocks?

You going to go through the rear bed for shocks?

Not sure but hoping to not need to. I do want to avoid having such an angled shock though. I'm going to tackle it last once everything else is done and I can flex to measure. Might even attempt to go shorter travel and limit up travel with bumps....just not sure yet.

Last edited:
Know what the worst part of body work is...............doing body work!

Spent pretty much all day yesterday and today working out dents, patching rust, test fitting, more straightening panels, doors, blah blah blah. No real pics of progress though.

Also ordered tons of engine pats from @beno...just waiting for a decent day to power wash all the crude off before installing new parts.

Got the following done recently:
- swapped out my '75 and later OEM soft top b pillar with a guy that had realsteel b pillars. OEM soft doors fit much better now. Amazing what a slight inward slant (ones I had) vs straight (ones I traded for) can do for an appropriate fitment.

- shortened the OEM sot top c pillar by 1", for some reason mine were too tall compared to Toyota. Cut out an inch, sleeved them, welded and ground smooth. Also had to fix a slight bend from what I assume was shipping damage en route from Pakistan.

- finished connecting steering wheel to scout box. Used the a couple pieces from Kurt at cruiser outfitters (firewall plate and bronze bushing) and the rest from Luke at 4x4 labs (ujoints, hex bar and spiecer bits). Drilled and keyed with grade 8 bolts for some joints and welded others. Will need to safety wire the bolts so they can't back out.

- did a quick refresh on an older model 4Runner steering wheel. It was gray and nasty...now black and cleaner. Needed a smaller wheel due to my seat mounting being so freaking high. I'll eventually redo it but it will suffice until I finish the rest of the truck.

- worked on finishing front fender liners. The shock hoops make it a huge pain to fit the front portion. I'm thinking I'll cover the rest with some sort of rubber. All I'm shooting for is to keep dirt and junk out.

One thing I'm struggling with is the s***ty job I did on the passenger fender. Was like 4 years ago and might have been drinking... Wonder if I could cut some slots in the underside of the tube and bend it, making the outside lower and level? Thoughts??

You've been moving!!

For the fender, is the whole thing tilted up or just the outer tube or?

You've been moving!!

For the fender, is the whole thing tilted up or just the outer tube or?

It's kinda the entire thing. There are 3 sections that run away from the apron toward the tire 1)front section, 2) mid section and 3) lower section near the door. Figure 3 relief cuts and bend...or just say screw it and move on to other things. It actually would be easier to probably order a replacements and redo.

Looking good Jon. Came a long way since I saw that tub on the trailer at Northern Tool that day. Digging it.

Got the following done recently:
- swapped out my '75 and later OEM soft top b pillar with a guy that had realsteel b pillars. OEM soft doors fit much better now. Amazing what a slight inward slant (ones I had) vs straight (ones I traded for) can do for an appropriate fitment.

- shortened the OEM sot top c pillar by 1", for some reason mine were too tall compared to Toyota. Cut out an inch, sleeved them, welded and ground smooth. Also had to fix a slight bend from what I assume was shipping damage en route from Pakistan.

- finished connecting steering wheel to scout box. Used the a couple pieces from Kurt at cruiser outfitters (firewall plate and bronze bushing) and the rest from Luke at 4x4 labs (ujoints, hex bar and spiecer bits). Drilled and keyed with grade 8 bolts for some joints and welded others. Will need to safety wire the bolts so they can't back out.

- did a quick refresh on an older model 4Runner steering wheel. It was gray and nasty...now black and cleaner. Needed a smaller wheel due to my seat mounting being so freaking high. I'll eventually redo it but it will suffice until I finish the rest of the truck.

- worked on finishing front fender liners. The shock hoops make it a huge pain to fit the front portion. I'm thinking I'll cover the rest with some sort of rubber. All I'm shooting for is to keep dirt and junk out.

One thing I'm struggling with is the s***ty job I did on the passenger fender. Was like 4 years ago and might have been drinking... Wonder if I could cut some slots in the underside of the tube and bend it, making the outside lower and level? Thoughts??

Looks awesome. Digging the fenders!

nun.jpg

Last edited:
The Flying Nun, Sally Field starred

It's kinda the entire thing. There are 3 sections that run away from the apron toward the tire 1)front section, 2) mid section and 3) lower section near the door. Figure 3 relief cuts and bend...or just say screw it and move on to other things. It actually would be easier to probably order a replacements and redo.

You've got bigger fish to fry. Move on to other things for now, then come back to it if it still bugs you later.

Also, you could use a tree to straighten it out down the road :lol: This will be a wheeler after all!!

I know you too well to advise you to leave it Jon. Make the relief cuts and bend it down - you'll wind up tearing the whole thing down to the frame again in 6 months if you don't ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom