Project advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow cruiserheads!

This weekends project is replacing my master and slave clutch cylinder on my 85 fj60 and being fairly new to turning wrenches on my rig I was hoping to get advice/ tips!
From what people say, it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward job but I am having a little difficulty finding the location to the slave cylinder and I am a bit concerned about accessing the bit of the master cylinder behind the firewall.
I will be replacing both parts with Aisin parts.
Anyone know of or have a good video that would help walk me through this?

Thanks!

Have you downloaded the factory service manual?

Thanks for the input all! I do have the FSM, ill give it a read through tonight

If you do not have flare wrenches purchase a set. If using a regular wrench on the hard line fitting at the master cylinder you stand a good chance of rounding off the fitting. Flare wrench is designed to reduce the likelihood of rounding. Takes a 10 mm at the master cylinder and IIRC a 17 mm at the slave.

You are just lacking a little confidence brother. Don’t worry. Be fearless when wrenching on these trucks. They’re not like Humpty Dumpty. You can tear them down to the last bolt and put them back together again. If you get stuck, the entire forum is behind you man. Good luck!

@CaptClose Hit it on the head! You gotta go after it and learn, these rigs are very simple and easy to wrench on! You just gotta take the leap and start tearing stuff apart. one thing that helped me in the begenning was taking pictures of EVERYTHING. No matter what youre working on sometimes you can loose track of things and forget how it goes.

Between this forum and pics. Take the challenge. Save the money by DIY, and you get to know your 60.

Let us know how it goes. I bought my flare wrenches at Harbor Freight for @ $20.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom