Prinsu Design 100 Series Full Roof Rack System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't bother with the noise reducing trim.
More importantly, beautiful FJ-40!

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. Looks great. And function is awesome. Ordered it through Truck Brigade. They offer free shipping. Saved about $90. Decided to get the 40" light bar cut out. Cut out is actually about 43". I purchased an inexpensive 4WDKING light bar off Amazon for $105 and wire harness for $25. Don't have the light bar mounted but it looks like it's pretty decent. Will take some more pics once I have it mounted.

Rack is very quiet. I had a Yakima with fairing set up on there before. This rack is way quieter and I have not even installed the noise reducing trim.

My concern about rubbing the paint above the windshield is a non issue. Just moved the fairing up a little as @PNWLX said.

Ordered on May 19th. Got the rack one week later. Removed factory rack and installed the Prinsu in less than 2 hours. Pretty simple install.
View attachment 2332291

Im looking at buying a prinsu rack i know these (piece labeled FR) have to come off, but they seem attached pretty well. Are the just glued and need to be forced off?

2599C0F4-BA8D-4BEC-A298-C163506E64C8.jpeg

I do, you'll need to make some modifications, the LC have 3 mounting points per side and LX has 2, so you'll need to remove the gutter guard piece to expose the 3rd mounting part near the front. I drilled a few holes in the gutter piece and kept it on there instead of removing it, a lot of work but aesthetically pleasing.

48910827883_be5e6ef3ec_h.jpg

So you had to drill the roof? That’s deterring. My LX would identical to this! 😣

Wait, I went to look at my roof and it has 3 plastic covers along the gutter

View attachment 2506121
The LCs have three attachment points for the OEM rails. The LXs only have two. Trimming your LX's gutter trim with tin snips gives you the opening you'll need to make contact with the hard points.

Im looking at buying a prinsu rack i know these (piece labeled FR) have to come off, but they seem attached pretty well. Are the just glued and need to be forced off?

View attachment 2505292
Those pieces are glued but with a little persuasion, once the bolts are removed, they pop right off. I used a plastic trim tool removal pry bar and mitigated paint scratches.

Cheers mates,
G

The LCs have three attachment points for the OEM rails. The LXs only have two. Trimming your LX's gutter trim with tin snips gives you the opening you'll need to make contact with the hard points.
On my lx470 there are three plastic cover pieces equally distanced apart along each gutter. These would be the attachment points correct? I didn't pry off the plastic yet to see if there is mounting points below them, but I'm assuming there would be. Why would they have plastic covers if there's no mounting points? Trying to see if the Prisnu would fit on my 2001 LX470 with little to no modifications.

Got mine installed today, very easy and very well built. This part sucked.

PXL_20201204_173909016.jpg

Somehow water got in the center mount and ate away the torx bolt head. Cut a groove into with a die grinder, plenty of PB plaster, and voila. Question I did have, if you look at the other pics of where the rack mounts into the roof, removing the stock rack opens up a cavity around the mounting point. The stock rack certainly wasn't water proof around the base, but I'm a little concerned now that bigger debris can get stuck in that space. Anyone found a good solution short of just filling the space with foam or silicon, lol.

I used a lot of silicone on every bolt that goes into the roof, then i used silicone around the aluminum spacer pieces, just lots and lots of it. Been a year through many carwashes and rain storms and hasn't seen any water in the headliner yet.

The stock rack certainly wasn't water proof around the base, but I'm a little concerned now that bigger debris can get stuck in that space. Anyone found a good solution short of just filling the space with foam or silicon, lol.

Multiple Inmates advised not to be afraid of the silicon... I went the extra mile, I think, by using the Marine Grade silicon for good measure. Nobody but us know we used copious amounts to protect against/mitigate water and debris infiltration. Once on, the silicon blends right into its surrounds. :banana:

Also keep in mind it's much easier to apply with the roof rack off... :rofl:

Cheers mate,
G

Can someone please confirm this rack will work
With LX470 without modifying (except the plastic trim)? I opened my center plastic trim and there are 3 bolts equally spaced. Funny that Prinsu will not give you an answer on this. How hard is it to bring an LX470 and fit the damn rack on it. I’d imagine a good portion of the 100s out there are LXs.

Can someone please confirm this rack will work
With LX470 without modifying (except the plastic trim)? I opened my center plastic trim and there are 3 bolts equally spaced. Funny that Prinsu will not give you an answer on this. How hard is it to bring an LX470 and fit the damn rack on it. I’d imagine a good portion of the 100s out there are LXs.

Read through this thread, there are several LX's, including myself with this rack. Just pull up on the trim piece to reveal the 3rd mounting point towards the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom