Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 40 is (over)due for new tires. One won't even hold air for more than a couple of days. Thinking about going the super-cheap route with GY Wrangler Trailrunner AT in 235/75-15. They're under $130 per with $80 rebate. So that should be under 7 bills for all five. I'd love to go BFG or Toyo, but finding it hard to justify it on a truck that gets driven a few times a year.
I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT in 31x10.5 with about 500 miles on them. The just came off of the 40. Selling the wheels too.

IMG_7417.jpeg

I'm not looking for anything aggressive. I live on a gravel road, so rock pickup is a problem. And the noise from MT-type tires really stirs up my tinnitus.

My 40 is original/stock so small tires are fine. She's wearing very old GY Wrangler Radials now. And I've defeintely gotten used to the "mail truck" vibe of them, though OWL isn't really my thing.

20220501_132209.jpg

Last edited:
rotated my tires; replaced the passenger hvac vent with one that actually opens/closes so my wife will be happy; rebuilt the dash-mounted, broken hula dancer (turns out she just needed a new dollop of epoxy to reconnect the torso to the wiggly bits); and did a thorough scrubbing and pressure wash of the underside (of the truck, not the hula dancer you weirdos).

T'was a good weekend!

I caught up with Professor Ed @emorth today and had some fun with Anderson connectors. One set for each battery, one SB50 on the Puma compressor and we cut this 20ft set of #4 jumper cables so they can be used to supply auxiliary power to whatever needs it. Also made a SB175 to dual SB50s and put an SB175 on the winch. Good times!

PXL_20220516_220807873.jpg
PXL_20220516_220813352.jpg
PXL_20220516_220818784.jpg
PXL_20220516_220921305.jpg

I caught up with Professor Ed @emorth today and had some fun with Anderson connectors. One set for each battery, one SB50 on the Puma compressor and we cut this 20ft set of #4 jumper cables so they can be used to supply auxiliary power to whatever needs it. Also made a SB175 to dual SB50s and put an SB175 on the winch. Good times!

View attachment 3010492View attachment 3010493View attachment 3010494View attachment 3010495
Nice, I’ve got my puma set up in a similar fashion. So much slicker with the Andersons.

66187299-BB3E-47A0-AA73-AFD4C0523EF1.jpeg
C4E92425-9A59-457A-B1D1-EE9A9C2E3B0B.jpeg
D57EF5BA-E948-4701-8558-ACB4B95C58C8.jpeg
21930278-7B6C-4B34-AF6A-42D49927AC3A.jpeg

That's pretty slick. Nice work. Can you tell me about the mudflap set up? looks great... I assume you added them after removing the running boards. Are they OEM?

They’re OEM and specific to the 100 just for non-USA/without running board trucks. I think it was about $60-$75 in parts.

They’re OEM and specific to the 100 just for non-USA/without running board trucks. I think it was about $60-$75 in parts.
Do you have a part number?

Do you have a part number?

You but a 100 and not tell? 😂

You but a 100 and not tell? 😂
I'm always asking myself which land cruiser and when... I like this setup with those OEM mud flaps a lot, so a 2007 with AHC is now more solidly on my mental list.

Hmmm... 80, 100, back to a 120, a 200... choices choices.

Or use a tiny fraction of that money for a few more mods for the 150 series you have and wheel the s*** out of it. Rob seems to have no issues with his 4runner while keeping up with Paul's triple locked 100...

Or use a tiny fraction of that money for a few more mods for the 150 series you have and wheel the s*** out of it. Rob seems to have no issues with his 4runner while keeping up with Paul's triple locked 100...
Yeah- I do love the 4Runner but two issues:

1) I need a third row. That was my biggest oversight with the 4Runner.
2) I'm working on moving to the suburbs and we're gonna need 2 cars.

Selling the 2021 4Runner with <10,000 miles on it will fund the purchase of 1 used land cruiser and a second car for the wife lady. I just need to quit dragging my feet and make a move.

Last edited:
If you legit need to use your 3rd row seats and need it to daily then its a no brainer to get a 200. An 80 is to old and unsafe to daily with kids IMO, the gas mileage of all of them is equally terrible, and the 120 has an unusably small 3rd row seat and literally no cargo space when you use them. Also finding a low or even lower mileage 80, 100, or 120 without multiple owners is going to cost you dearly. You can pretty easily find 200s where the first owners are selling with all service records and they don't have a huge amount of miles.

If you legit need to use your 3rd row seats and need it to daily then its a no brainer to get a 200. An 80 is to old and unsafe to daily with kids IMO, the gas mileage of all of them is equally terrible, and the 120 has an unusably small 3rd row seat and literally no cargo space when you use them. Also finding a low or even lower mileage 80, 100, or 120 without multiple owners is going to cost you dearly. You can pretty easily find 200s where the first owners are selling with all service records and they don't have a huge amount of miles.
The third row in a GX is adequate for 2 people who are at or near 5 ft tall (that includes all of my wife's family lol) and for kids- I also managed to keep my two duffel bags of recovery gear and tools behind the 3rd row in my GX and that third row is an amazing changing table. I can get back into a nice GX for $12-15k but a 200 series is going to be two or three times that cost at $30-40k. A nice 80 comes in around $12-20k, as does a decent 100 series. So, money wise, if getting a second car- an 80, 100 or 120 makes the most sense. I think an 80 is plenty safe enough for what it is. I also plan to keep working from home, so it won't be a full daily driver.

The third row in a GX is adequate for 2 people who are at or near 5 ft tall (that includes all of my wife's family lol) and for kids- I also managed to keep my two duffel bags of recovery gear and tools behind the 3rd row in my GX and that third row is an amazing changing table. I can get back into a nice GX for $12-15k but a 200 series is going to be two or three times that cost at $30-40k. A nice 80 comes in around $12-20k, as does a decent 100 series. So, money wise, if getting a second car- an 80, 100 or 120 makes the most sense. I think an 80 is plenty safe enough for what it is. I also plan to keep working from home, so it won't be a full daily driver.
Here's this nice seeming 100-series on Facebook Land Cruiser Marketplace group -

Fair...100 vs 120 is a toss up depending on what you want. 100 for sure has beefier components but everything is also older since it was designed in the early 90s vs the late 90s for the 120. Also if you get an LX470 be aware that aftermarket support for parts not shared with the land cruiser is pretty limited. Could also consider a GX460 since lots of those have a flat folding 3rd row.

Uh oh... accidentally stumbled into this craigslist posting for a 2008 LC. Price is right and it's got those sexy OEM non-tinted windows. Might go take a look and see if it's rusty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom