Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my MC Designs hinges for my 40 doors. Also the 40 goes to @OTRAMM tomorrow for ARB lockers.

D5A5FDFB-BDCA-4710-8664-3D853614D8D1.jpeg

01DAF283-7646-49EE-9BD1-16D933FED34B.jpeg

Just ordered a new coolant temperature sensor for the fj62. Any tips on removing or installing the old one?

The sensor is brass and threads into the aluminum thermostat housing. A little bit of anti-seize in the new one or should it be straight forward out and new one in? It looks pretty crusty.

One of the guys from the local off-road group spied it being taken down to the port!View attachment 2394839
Just ordered a new coolant temperature sensor for the fj62. Any tips on removing or installing the old one?

The sensor is brass and threads into the aluminum thermostat housing. A little bit of anti-seize in the new one or should it be straight forward out and new one in? It looks pretty crusty.
that would be a good candidate for a induction heater. You can’t put too much moxie on brass before it starts bending.

@1MOA those hinges are nice! If I didn’t already have a set of FST hinges I would have gone with a set of those. They look more beefy then the FST hinges.

LMK if you want to borrow my induction heater.

Did you see what you have to do to get to the body side hinge bolts? I looked at those for about 30 seconds and decided it was going to be a PITA before nixing those as an option.
Yeah the only one that really concerns me is the upper drivers side one because of all the electrical stuff right there and no room.

Yeah the only one that really concerns me is the upper drivers side one because of all the electrical stuff right there and no room.

Have you guys seen Project Wrong Way on YouTube? Ben is documenting his garage resto of a 40. He installed a set of those on a recent episode. They did look like a pita but he got there. I forget if there were any specific tips he ended up having.

Perfect for your restoration project, Haynes service manual for sale:

799F1B42-ECC1-4009-8ECE-C690EEEEBBF2.jpeg

The AC in my GX has been pretty meh this summer and was blowing lukewarm in traffic. A little foil duct tape to seal the 1" gap between the condenser and radiator on all sides and now its a refrigerator at idle. This is a super common trick people do on drift cars and autocross too apparently. If your fan shroud has a gap between the radiator, taping that up can also help with lowering coolant temps

IMG_20200807_131452.jpg

IMG_20200807_153458.jpg

IMG_20200807_153518.jpg

Pulled the 40 in to the garage today to look at a leak i suspect is the speedo housing to parking brake seal. I think I have more leaks forward of that too. The parking brake backing plate has some oil on it but not as bad as I've seen on mud. No groove on the drum sealing surface so that's a bonus. I think the seam between the oil pan and oil pan skid is starting to leak as well. When I changed the oil pan gasket a couple years ago I should have just replaced the pan then. Hopefully I can reuse the gasket.

Do I have to get a new 27mm nut for the output shaft or can I reuse it and restake it? Also, can I remove the backing plate without disassembling the brake shoes, etc?

IMG_20200808_212143433.jpg
IMG_20200808_212157924.jpg
IMG_20200808_212845961.jpg

Pulled the 40 in to the garage today to look at a leak i suspect is the speedo housing to parking brake seal. I think I have more leaks forward of that too. The parking brake backing plate has some oil on it but not as bad as I've seen on mud. No groove on the drum sealing surface so that's a bonus. I think the seam between the oil pan and oil pan skid is starting to leak as well. When I changed the oil pan gasket a couple years ago I should have just replaced the pan then. Hopefully I can reuse the gasket.

Do I have to get a new 27mm nut for the output shaft or can I reuse it and restake it? Also, can I remove the backing plate without disassembling the brake shoes, etc?

View attachment 2397628View attachment 2397629View attachment 2397630
I don't know about the 27mm nut reuse but I remember watching the ebrake being taken off complete and they put a new cable on it off the truck then reassembled it back so I would say yes to that.
The E brake pads actually look like they are in good shape and not oil soaked. Is the filler cap in the 2nd pic just sitting there after you loosened it because it looks way crooked.

No , reuse existing nut and restake to original OEM location stakes , don’t over tighten it this way
You don’t kill your preload

Yes , shoes need to come off to access the four #7
12mm hex bolts ...

the tan chassis FSM is better details then the old grey one I believe

Dabbling in more decals ....

79EA98CC-C3BC-41B5-B99F-6E96ADB150C1.jpeg
A42761B4-57C1-48CF-ADDA-FB7E169F8839.jpeg
71122D71-4830-4411-8EE0-0507F21C796E.jpeg

Thanks @ToyotaMatt and @1MOA. I was doing some reading and saw that gear oil should have poured out of the transfer case when I pulled the drum, it did not for me. I just drained the transfer case and less than a quart poured out. I then remembered about a hose kit someone sells that goes between the transmission fill plug and transfer fill plug, the former being higher, so that any gear oil push from transfer to transmission will drain back. So I pulled the transmission fill plug and a ton of oil came out of that (it was in straight and secure so it must have been the camera angle that made it look off kilter). So I think that means the seal between the transfer case and transmission is shot pushing oil back up to the transmission? I assume the right fix is to drop the transfer case and install a new seal and this greater than the aforementioned hose kit?

Last edited:
I always remove the cast iron speedo drive gear housing and have my machine shop bore out the seal recess 1 seal deeper in depth

then I install the 2nd outer seal upside down

hence I have created 2 doors to block anything a front and a rear

this is the exact engineering detail
Yamaha outboards use on the lower units

a double lip seal

I have never had this design I read about years ago
Fail or leak after the fact

it’s a Rock Solid set up and the machine bore extra depth and a Mod free Mod

in other words has zero counter issues or flaws in any way that I have discovered

I have applied this on 3 past cruisers with solid success

I was just reading about Cruiser Brothers' housing like that. $100 for a machined housing with both seals preinstalled. Definitely seems worth it. Not OEM seals though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom