Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to go topless. Oh and :flipoff2::flipoff2: whoever put the hinge pins in the doors. Air Hammered them out. Who makes good replacements and bushings?

C75A0EAA-45D6-46D7-9F80-0A1B2A1E3720.jpeg

Decided to go topless. Oh and :flipoff2::flipoff2: whoever put the hinge pins in the doors. Air Hammered them out. Who makes good replacements and bushings?

View attachment 2360552

I think the guys handle is @SMG who sells the screw in SS pins and bushings. They're amazing. I probably won't go back to the factory hardware.

Edit:. Found the thread.

Last edited:
Is there a “trick” to getting the actuator arm to snap onto the stud for the windshield wiper stud on a 1977 Fj40?
I can get mine on it but it won’t snap into place.

A98C6A81-87F3-4E72-8ADE-7FA3885E8684.jpeg

EC5C2C2C-C801-47BC-990B-0E129D1EB156.jpeg

Oil change on the 200 today.. didn't realize it was meant to rain today. Of course it starts pouring on me mid way thru... also learned that the cutouts in the BudBuilt skids for the oil pan plug is not good enough. Had oil bouncing off the skid spraying every where. Lesson learned to remove the skids first for next time.
20200705_171713.jpg

Finally got around to Installing an Albright solenoid. Had to also rewire my dual battery solenoid to run it.
image.jpg

Oil change on the 200 today.. didn't realize it was meant to rain today. Of course it starts pouring on me mid way thru... also learned that the cutouts in the BudBuilt skids for the oil pan plug is not good enough. Had oil bouncing off the skid spraying every where. Lesson learned to remove the skids first for next time

could you try and cut the top and bottom off of a plastic water bottle, and then shove it through the access hole to essentially funnel the oil past the skids?

could you try and cut the top and bottom off of a plastic water bottle, and then shove it through the access hole to essentially funnel the oil past the skids?
Possibly. But the angle is a bit weird... the access hole was a nice circle and I figured it's there for a reason, it should work. That was a fun oh crap moment running to grab shop towels to get up all the oil that didn't make the drain pan haha!
I know for next time to just remove the 2 front skids for oil pan and filter.
That'll make me have to grease the driveshaft as well since I'd have gone thru the effort of removing the half the skids instead of trying to be lazy and leave it for another time.

Took the 40 to Robledo Mountain OHV Trail System just outside Las Cruces, NM to test it out after rebuilding the axles and installing new suspension, wheels, and tires. It turned out to be some pretty legit wheeling and I got some action shots for you fellas. This was the first time I actually took my 40 off-roading in the six years I’ve owned it. I stuck to the blue intermediate trails and stayed off the black diamonds, kinda like skiing.

Trail damage was a busted mirror, antenna ripped off, and plenty of trail rash. There was only one time where I could’ve used a rear locker, but a different approach angle and some more skinny pedal got me through it. The new KM3’s were amazing and gripped the rocks really well.

Thoughts:

The 40 is astonishly capable off-road and a lot more reliable than I thought. The camera doesn’t capture steepness of the terrain but the 40 was a billy goat and climbed up over and through everything.

This trip involved 60 miles of highway going over a mountain pass. I could maintain 45mph uphill but was getting passed by semi’s. Coolant temps were 210 on the highway ascending the mountain. On the trail the temp gauge stayed at 180-190 in 100deg New Mexico desert heat.

I had to use the new 8274-70 winch to move a giant rock from the middle of the trail once. It worked good using a snatch block pulling the rock to the side.

It was probably stupid of me to go out into the desert by myself in an untested 40 year old 40 in the middle of summer in New Mexico. I was beginning to feel light headed from the heat and blazing sun while doing winch work. You get tired and impatient and start making mistakes. If anything happened to me or the truck it’d be a bad scene with nobody coming to help. I’m going to join the local 4wd club and find some folks to go out together. I got a bikini top on order from trollhole which should block some of the intense sun.

I kept thinking to myself what a great vehicle Mr Yota made in the 40. It did some pretty knarly stuff and ran perfectly. Me and my phone were both overheating but the 40 stayed cool and kept on ticking.

Next time I’m going east to Lincoln National Forest where it’s 5000ft higher and 20 deg cooler.

8615C714-85F9-450F-A161-63C204BC989D.png

D96F1F2F-6F3B-4262-A064-CC1A7191225A.jpeg

77D651A1-0A88-4E96-B824-87EC1F23076B.jpeg

C0BCDDB9-832D-4180-9D8D-BEACCDC90793.jpeg

DCE38F3D-EC58-4496-A40E-BE51313CCBFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Possibly. But the angle is a bit weird... the access hole was a nice circle and I figured it's there for a reason, it should work. That was a fun oh crap moment running to grab shop towels to get up all the oil that didn't make the drain pan haha!
I know for next time to just remove the 2 front skids for oil pan and filter.
That'll make me have to grease the driveshaft as well since I'd have gone thru the effort of removing the half the skids instead of trying to be lazy and leave it for another time.
Get this Ernst funnel and a fumoto valve... makes it way easy

Ernst Manufacturing Greg's Drip-Free Oil Filter Funnel, Orange Amazon product ASIN B005Z2K89Q

Fumoto F106N FN-Series Drain Valve with Long Nipple with Lever Clip Amazon product ASIN B07D995XRF

Why is calling the toyota parts department like hitting yourself in the face?
- called koons-
Me “Hi I was wondering if you have a 17” steel wheel for an fj cruiser in stock”
koons “whats the vin number?”
Me “there is no vin number i just need one wheel. Do you have one”
Koons “sorry we cant find that out unless you give us the vin number for an fj cruiser” click

call to alexandria toyota
- “Hi im calling to see if you have a wheel in stock. I have the part number from google right here.”
Super pleasant parts lady (SPPL) - “whats your vin number?”
Me - “um why dont we just look it up by part number?”
SPPL- “sir, we need your vin number”
Me - “ok my vin is 1235J120xyz”
SPPL- “we dont carry lexus wheels”
Me- “yeah thats why i have a part number for you”
SPPL- “toyota wheels will not work on a lexus”
Me - “yes they will. Can I give you the part number?”
SPPL- “fine.” Runs the number... “sir this wheel will not work on a lexus because it is for an fj cruiser”
Me- “yes it will”
SPPL - “ok. We Can special order the steel wheel for $200 and you’ll have to sign a waiver because it wont fit your vehicle”
Me - “they are like $50 online for a steel wheel. I literally paid less for trd pro wheels. You guys are ridiculous.” Click

And now im just super pissed. Every-time I have to interact with these local toyota parts people I just know it’s gonna suck. Why do they suck so bad? Anyone else have a good or bad experience with any local parts departments? And god forbid I let lexus touch it. Last time I had them do an oil change they came up with $7k in “needed” repairs- on a truck with zero issues. They made me sign a waiver to drive home. Lofl.

Just buy them online from Conicelli (extra 5% off through the 12th 4JUL2020 ) or even McGeorge if you're shipping to DC (to avoid sales tax). Shipping won't be that bad. I've had the same experience with Priority Toyota in Springfield. When I called them out on quoting me way over MSRP the guy was like, yeah, ok, I'll give you MSRP then. Hung up on the d-bag.

Why is calling the toyota parts department like hitting yourself in the face?
- called koons-
Me “Hi I was wondering if you have a 17” steel wheel for an fj cruiser in stock”
koons “whats the vin number?”
Me “there is no vin number i just need one wheel. Do you have one”
Koons “sorry we cant find that out unless you give us the vin number for an fj cruiser” click

call to alexandria toyota
- “Hi im calling to see if you have a wheel in stock. I have the part number from google right here.”
Super pleasant parts lady (SPPL) - “whats your vin number?”
Me - “um why dont we just look it up by part number?”
SPPL- “sir, we need your vin number”
Me - “ok my vin is 1235J120xyz”
SPPL- “we dont carry lexus wheels”
Me- “yeah thats why i have a part number for you”
SPPL- “toyota wheels will not work on a lexus”
Me - “yes they will. Can I give you the part number?”
SPPL- “fine.” Runs the number... “sir this wheel will not work on a lexus because it is for an fj cruiser”
Me- “yes it will”
SPPL - “ok. We Can special order the steel wheel for $200 and you’ll have to sign a waiver because it wont fit your vehicle”
Me - “they are like $50 online for a steel wheel. I literally paid less for trd pro wheels. You guys are ridiculous.” Click

And now im just super pissed. Every-time I have to interact with these local toyota parts people I just know it’s gonna suck. Why do they suck so bad? Anyone else have a good or bad experience with any local parts departments? And god forbid I let lexus touch it. Last time I had them do an oil change they came up with $7k in “needed” repairs- on a truck with zero issues. They made me sign a waiver to drive home. Lofl.

Why do you even bother calling them when you know they won't sell if for anywhere near the price you can find online from toyota dealerships. I had 1 situation where I called for a part, gave the dude the part number and he said he can't find it. I told him I'm on your online toyota parts site now looking at the part and part number... "Oh let me check again.. yea we have it" tells me a price 4x as much as what I was looking at. Told him the price I was seeing, his response was well order from there instead.

Problem is I need the wheel tomorrow. Toyota might want to take the approach of supporting fans/customers with good service and fair prices. At the very least I shouldn’t be talked to like some kind of a-hole and imbecile just for wanting a spare wheel. A steelie is hardly some kind of specialty part and regardless the customer service standard needs to be way higher to carry the brand name.

Problem is I need the wheel tomorrow. Toyota might want to take the approach of supporting fans/customers with good service and fair prices. At the very least I shouldn’t be talked to like some kind of a-hole and imbecile just for wanting a spare wheel. A steelie is hardly some kind of specialty part and regardless the customer service standard needs to be way higher to carry the brand name.
Fair enough... Then I see why you'd call
But you have a Lexus and it won't work on a Lexus :rofl:

At least it seems you didn't bother with that dealer on 29 between New Baltimore and Opal. I vowed never to speak their name again after they insinuated that I should be happy to be so privileged as to spend well above MSRP for basic parts and items. The best part was hearing that while standing in front of a giant POS (point-of-sale) basket full of POS (piece-of-shiit) Chinesium wrenches, flashlights, jumper cables, etc that were on a clearance sale for well above AutoZone-type prices. Oh, and it only took a little over 2 weeks for my cancelled order to be refunded back to my card. WTF?

It's sad knowing that there is not a local dealer in the area who is able to conduct business in a logical manner. And that whole "VIN # before selling a part" thing is probably the way of the future...get used to it (meaning grab some VINs off of CL ads for various years).

I think with parts stores/dealers it's about forming a relationship. I use the dealership John won't name daily. I never have to give them a VIN, they'll order by part number, and they stock the parts I commonly use even though they don't regularly use them. But they've been the only place I've bought Toyota parts from for 9 years. They know I'm not going to stick them with a bunch of returns if the part I ordered by number doesn't fit. They know I'm not constantly price shopping them for the absolute lowest price. Yes I could find stuff a bit cheaper online but I've built a relationship with these guys. They treat me well and go above and beyond when I need parts quickly. IF your looking for the parts experience of old, you have to treat it that way. Before the internet you had to walk in and talk to the parts guy. That's where the relationship is built. It's a two way street.

I think with parts stores/dealers it's about forming a relationship. I use the dealership John won't name daily. I never have to give them a VIN, they'll order by part number, and they stock the parts I commonly use even though they don't regularly use them. But they've been the only place I've bought Toyota parts from for 9 years. They know I'm not going to stick them with a bunch of returns if the part I ordered by number doesn't fit. They know I'm not constantly price shopping them for the absolute lowest price. Yes I could find stuff a bit cheaper online but I've built a relationship with these guys. They treat me well and go above and beyond when I need parts quickly. IF your looking for the parts experience of old, you have to treat it that way. Before the internet you had to walk in and talk to the parts guy. That's where the relationship is built. It's a two way street.
Amen!!!!! I've been buying my OEM parts from Freedom Toyota in Hamburg PA for more than twenty years. Email or call them with part numbers and they respond with either it's no longer available or it'll be there in a day or two. Just bought an H55 setup for a 40 and they gave me a great deal. I believe I normally get around 20-24% off list.

Last edited:
Are you guys using the same parts guys every time or is your discount "on file" with the dealer and you get it no matter who you talk to? There used to be a guy at Fairfax Toyota who gave a discount in the 20-25% range to CLCC members but that died when he left. I even talked to the parts manager and he wasn't interested in keeping it going.

I deal with all the guys but the parts manager typically looks up parts for me. My discount is on file no matter whom I deal with. And when I bought the H55 I asked my man to sharpen his pencil- and got the H55 for $2500, not the absolutely lowest price around but not bad either. And I paid no shipping. My price was $600+ lower than what my friend Karol had quoted to him in CT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom