Pre-03 nav delete how-to (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm hammering out a couple other items on the LX before diving into this but am still doing my research so I have all my ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.

I'm seeing dashes range on ebay from about $100-ish to $300-ish. I've contacted a couple sellers already and they wouldn't be able to include the pigtails since the LX's they are pulling from have already been picked apart.

I wouldn't mind grabbing the connectors from the local Toyota dealer and pinning/wiring them myself. I looked through your old post and I think I found the one you were referring to. You listed the part numbers for the 5 connectors coming out of the nav based dash and their male/female counterparts. I didn't see the 4 connector part numbers for the non-nav dash. Picture of them here. Any chance you can list those 4 part numbers as well as any info you have on which pins to use for them?
I think the ones in question are C6, C7, C8 and C9. Here is a photo of their part numbers.
IMG_4145.JPG
You can find the correct pins for the connectors here:
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/wire_harness_rm/RM06H0E.pdf
Keep in mind with the number of repair wires you will need to purchase your cost on making these plugs yourself will approach $700 or so. Toyota only sells repair wire with the pins and not the pins themselves. If you want to go down the rabbit hole you can attempt to get the specs on the pins on make up a set yourself. Don't forget you can also get the plugs out of an LC vehicle. Try car-part.com to locate a junkyard near you that may have one. Good luck!

Keep in mind with the number of repair wires you will need to purchase your cost on making these plugs yourself will approach $700 or so. Toyota only sells repair wire with the pins and not the pins themselves. If you want to go down the rabbit hole you can attempt to get the specs on the pins on make up a set yourself. Don't forget you can also get the plugs out of an LC vehicle. Try car-part.com to locate a junkyard near you that may have one. Good luck!

Thanks for the part numbers! Didn't realize Toyota only sold repair wire that included the pins. At that cost, it'd probably be better to buy a brand new engine harness! Which gives me an idea... I don't suppose you've looked into the non-nav harnesses at all? I'm wondering if those 4 ECU connectors are on some kind of sub harness that can be ordered for a less than a total engine harness.

EDIT: Also, wondering, searching through car-part.com for dash wiring harnesses.... Would those 4 connectors from a 98 or 99 LX that never had the nav option work to convert?

Last edited:
Thanks for the part numbers! Didn't realize Toyota only sold repair wire that included the pins. At that cost, it'd probably be better to buy a brand new engine harness! Which gives me an idea... I don't suppose you've looked into the non-nav harnesses at all? I'm wondering if those 4 ECU connectors are on some kind of sub harness that can be ordered for a less than a total engine harness.

EDIT: Also, wondering, searching through car-part.com for dash wiring harnesses.... Would those 4 connectors from a 98 or 99 LX that never had the nav option work to convert?
Those ECU connectors are molded into the board assembly. I spent countless hours looking for a plug and play solution. Go check out digikey or mouser to get an idea of how many connectors are out there.

Yes the connectors from a 98 or 99 LX would work. Any 1998-2002 LC or LX plugs should work. There may be some extra wires that dont get used. Nobody to my knowledge has ever had one that was short on wires but if it happened you could use an unused terminal or buy 1 repair wire.

Thank you TxSunDevil and everyone else who contributed to make this a reality. I bought my 2002 LX470 about 2 months ago, not knowing about the NavDelete issue... and finally got the courage today to do it.

Everything seems to be working, with the exception being the temperature knob does not illuminate however moving the temperature knob does affect heat / cool as it should. Anyone have an idea why this knob wouldn't be illuminated when everything else is?

View attachment 1825725

knob.jpg

Thank you TxSunDevil and everyone else who contributed to make this a reality. I bought my 2002 LX470 about 2 months ago, not knowing about the NavDelete issue... and finally got the courage today to do it.

Everything seems to be working, with the exception being the temperature knob does not illuminate however moving the temperature knob does affect heat / cool as it should. Anyone have an idea why this knob wouldn't be illuminated when everything else is?

View attachment 1825725

View attachment 1825726

The bulb is burnt out...

Take the surround out with the temp controls and remove the six (6) Phillips screws off the back of the black housing. Dig in and you'll find the bulbs. 17 years on a bulb, amazing what we demand from the most incredible vehicle ever produced on this planet...

The bulb is burnt out...

Take the surround out with the temp controls and remove the six (6) Phillips screws off the back of the black housing. Dig in and you'll find the bulbs. 17 years on a bulb, amazing what we demand from the most incredible vehicle ever produced on this planet...

Oh that would be ideal, will follow up tomorrow and let you know if that solved it. Thanks for the quick reply!

I just installed an Alpine ILX-107 with Apple Carplay using the Metra 70-8113 harness adapter that is recommened (rca outs for speakers). It powers up as it should, everything seems to be working but there is zero sound, not even the whining/hissing noise that some complain about with an aftermarket radio which makes me think the factory amp isn't powering on.

I have blue/white amplifier turn on connected as well as the amp ground to the main ground ( I even wired it directly to the frame initially no change). I also have a parking brake bypass installed which is working as it should.

Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_1871.jpeg

parking-bypass.jpg

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

Can you confirm the amp is coming on?

How did you get the signal wires from the HU to the amp? Are you using the speaker outputs like the factory setup? I don't remember the factory amp having RCA inputs

How did you get the signal wires from the HU to the amp? Are you using the speaker outputs like the factory setup? I don't remember the factory amp having RCA inputs

I just removed the passenger seat to take a closer look and when I turn the key to accessory the fan on the amp spins for about 5 seconds and then stops.

Ok so we think it is getting power. How is it getting the audio signal? You mention RCA cables. The amp will need power and an audio signal to send this signal to the speakers.

Ok so we think it is getting power. How is it getting the audio signal? You mention RCA cables. The amp will need power and an audio signal to send this signal to the speakers.

The rca cable connectors (x4) front left, front right, rear left, rear right) on the Metra stereo wiring harness are connected to the pre-outs (front and rear) on my Alpine unit. There are no traditional speaker wires on the Metra adapter so I assumed this was the only way to do it. I'm going to have an audio shop take a stab at it this afternoon, might just say **** it and have them bypass the amp and put in better speakers. :)

Ok that makes more sense. That is different from my harness. I used speaker wire outputs from deck into the metra harness that plugged into the factory plug. Is there speaker wires coming out of the back of your new deck?

Ok that makes more sense. That is different from my harness. I used speaker wire outputs from deck into the metra harness that plugged into the factory plug. Is there speaker wires coming out of the back of your new deck?

Yes my new Alpine deck has both speaker wire and amp outs via rca cable for front and rear speakers.

For those of you that have completed the swap.
If you want to replace the speakers is it required to replace factory amp and wiring to each speaker?
All my speakers are shot, including tweeters.
Seems like the amp is starting to fail as I get no bass. I replaced the rubber gasket on factory amp. But now no bass.
I got the parts I need for the Climate Control work but I’d need to sell my nav system to get my new stereo.

For those of you that have completed the swap.
If you want to replace the speakers is it required to replace factory amp and wiring to each speaker?
All my speakers are shot, including tweeters.
Seems like the amp is starting to fail as I get no bass. I replaced the rubber gasket on factory amp. But now no bass.
I got the parts I need for the Climate Control work but I’d need to sell my nav system to get my new stereo.

In my case no, I did replace the amp but used the original speaker wiring from the amp to each door and sub. Follow the diagrams posted on here by TXSunDevil. They are very good and you just need to take your time and focus on the cable layout. It was actually a reasonably simply job for me (pioneer amp and pioneer headunit). I took RCA cables from the headunit to the amp and then used original cables.

A very worthwhile upgrade and made a huge difference to the sound quality in the vehicle.

Can someone help me with what the Metra 70-8113 harness is used for? Is it necessary? What/how do I implement it?

I am going to rip into my dash to start this over Christmas break with the help of my brothers and want to make sure I've got everything I need.

Okay, I see that the wiring harness integrates into the stock amplifier. I am planning on replacing the stock amplifier with aftermarket amp.

Would this still be beneficial for me? I'm guessing I could just not use the amp wires on the harness and run my own stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom