Pre 03 Factory NAV to Double Din, Climate Knobs Conversion? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, I'm close! I just need to source the parts ;)
Keep your ear to the ground for the non nab center section and 4 plugs. Most wrecking yards will happily cut them out with about 12 inches of wire. We could knock this out in a day. Let me know. I'm happy to help.

Since these are factory parts couldn't they be purchased from Toyota as well? Also my Mexican origin 06 is nav free, could those parts be bought state side?

Since these are factory parts couldn't they be purchased from Toyota as well? Also my Mexican origin 06 is nav free, could those parts be bought state side?
When I looked the parts were either discontinued or prohibitively expensive. However, I did not think about foreign spec sources. Have you talked with a dealership about parts for your LC? Are they significantly different? If so, how is the availability?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
So I'm making progress. The good news is that the HU speakers and amp all work great. The bad news is that the cloth speaker cover kit that replaces the damaged oem covers flaps and sounds like a blown woofer... I used contact cement around the perimeter but probably should have use some spray adhesive across the middle. I can't decide whether to peel back the fabric and spray, look for a thinner material that will let the air moved by the speak pass easier or forgo the fabric all together and paint the grills some contrasting earth tone. Another lesson is that crutchfield tech support said it would be ok to put the gps antenna on top of the HU so I would not need to fish wire. So far it looks like they were wrong so I will need to disassble the center unit again and figure out where to locate the antenna. Bummer. Finally the jury is in- if you do this definitely clip wires. The pin to pin swap leaves you with very little wiggle room to get the facia over the new HU.

Now you're just showing off

I must have missed some info the first time reading through this thread. So, some things I've found out:

1) Tape deck has HVAC controls built in for reasons beyond comprehension. You can replace the tape deck with a single DIN unit, but you basically need to relocate the tape deck and keep it installed.

2) The easiest thing to do that I can think of is install a single DIN unit into the center console and leave everything else attached and just have audio run through that.

1 - No. The HVAC Amplifier is a separate unit and doesn't require the tape deck.

2 - Space demands single DIN unless you do some serious custom work.

Wow... I haven't checked in on this thread in a long time. Did someone finally figure this out? If so, will the Lexus non-NAV unit work? It appears to have the same plugs on the back as the LC version.

Lexus non-NAV version
KnMsNdXKl8zL7YnFQJ2fTjqQvWyB1Qk7n1PTDer_YIx1L9PjtXZ1kaia2TiFS_DVUu1DLt_ZOJrKtz8W6Ckrx_bRJ085s5olojV05a1lm9LGcWeNU-kmQqGQiQZDmaHjuLASrv0NCdxYa5Wg_UASM7xeDUMas-HsaUHjjKOa7d0pHjhhMsjoO-4ED5FNf-fYzrO2fZC9LZpSHZja2FKukWJU5-rKHlvQ4gun7v-IJhdi4u6J1kUGfEBQngxnDyCAiYMjGcOb8qkFmzBIreWRXcoOZnu-vXnLC3YLZjCAjXwa9LLDNF9vb8YUTjxkb1pKDmqsRcF9kGsCF1GZQDgYeSrrLhnw1SqwEUw3kubEXeAU0yIRqxv-D3SaJ-yqL1z9IZlhpQhdUvOStucNl2Vn7_6rw10dXUexsiB4XblFs-KA9bIsR8eY9faM_PAkCMDn5plGyQbgwLIZ1IeuYOA9dOrce5YvyiSIpEfpKgF_fkciMOXIjaLo3T9-aSn-kHTm3gf6psoB01rYOkKXiZ2YCf7MmP7Hf7XL4K8S9RlJhV83=w1920-h1080-no

LC version (on left)
nEPRp-BmSbE7wqIVouSxH2G-FuSlWeRkzK8XhSQlTq6s2J8_87CjRQm6UO2EwpvD4QSAZWXZyCqLFMGK6MlAfwXLfb2dkF03cHqHN0nIq-hKSSWq2JmPPLjgBfzwAY2XQFVZ_MehihNicfmpYWmzfQTZwcX2G8x-Z-lEBISDzOdnAOoqxIgVzhnBjo5tyFE5TixzUh7WblepOkuH7qHGDQdZJdsoMxe7K-2_wzqFfotUxN_h6AHaE0DuVqZVCETUhitB7kyQvGg4sE3tt8gqUimVTyBdqsgWi6X9nbqvglE2GV-RbUFOlIW8cg7WU9UOWqh0c2UyOYA2SPGhydR3FCf-456rCO5xtfctVXOUjEN354DRBHvXBKjGbLbVkEBUYOogq8knNp-An2mhRpYoOCe3C2mEIxmpiDv7ooYDQoYKG3dVnDAkm-CGAnXvWjoSmsHWb_btI9ZAgYsY-x2sikqT26_6r_YWXcR2OOK9_OIcnHWOQx2nY8Ezu5zgcycVah9VdCluW7_IGIJslZ_S6_T8g2v0u87g6GRwFD1U7Jbf=w1920-h1080-no

Lexus version on bottom:
Y-fiv9NbRZFU2dlgg2S99QbPHzbAUZc6En18MVkS_o9Nbck03EzPdPFOwyxROqa8t1VJnipv0kiAHLXS7y5hvTekyy5uHc6VkREMiNz1ePTMkRsvtUfsHWic-ljsYGlE6SHiZTmIhUVmh0sTI8JVZTg0yu0ZyOuCjNT446qwEfPvZOxeSghdFepfjl2XR0vy06h5LFac_e_aQfZ1eyRLWTHArG6ztG2tXJfHeRrVELJwRz0la5uOO8EaBPdOMO41lJkiC0NiLNpQZRaHZV_1PCuUs27jsFRpl8-Fjc2YoqT-STONAcUOCuwVW7VuT2OvR_N_VpOFMjjdLeR09ue_CSh_nkADZ70xgcyN7Cj7Z4N95Ph_bClDZWJallVEz3XaghLvOuM_M3jHul5IIT7hRkSidAqvAhSz1mcrc98F3kvbGyOgxlIj5DhoNsLvTjc_En7j86QcGBkZugvC8NSDDgS3ZPv3Kx7Bk5tI8obXBsl2GaH8EhK8yrVnNPyj1uC65pqdMB_o1t9KZ54EnkDJ8W24L02IahueGtHHeat0oBI4=w1920-h1080-no

I still want to know if the Lexus non-nav version will fit in the 03-07 tape deck hole

superb work redjet! I am slowly compiling parts for the swap, if all goes well I will use this as a guide...congrats on your victory!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! I don't know if the Lexus unit will fit. I would imagine that it would because I read that a guy changed from a Lexus non-nav to a LC non nav because he like the controls better. I sounded like it was Plug and Play. The key is to get the pigtails from a donor and access to an accurate wiring diagram.

Alright guys, so I'm finally ready to put some effort into this, especially knowing that @redjet completed it so I know it's possible.

Here's some info and where I could use some help:

1) I have a 2002 LC with Nav. I'm picking up 3-dial controls today from a '99 (as far as I know, no compatibility issues here).

2) Deo has a '98 harness for sale that looks good that I'm going to try and swap in. I do NOT plan on cutting the ends like @redjet , simply dropping the dash and swapping the harness.

3) The '98 does NOT have rear AC. My 2002 does. My biggest worry is that I will lose rear AC functionality. @RobRed has pointed out to me that the button was simply blocked off in the '98, leaving me to believe that the wiring existed, regardless of the missing rear AC components.

4) @DMG1 has be EXTREMELY kind and got me access to his ALLDATA account, and I was able to pull the wiring diagrams from the '98 and for the '02.

5) HERE is where I need help. I don't understand wiring diagrams.. at all. My hope is that someone here can take a look at the '98 and '02 diagrams and they can tell me if there is a difference and if I will lose functionality.

If everything looks good, I'll hopefully do the swap soon, and I'll write a tutorial for others to follow and give the info for sourcing parts. If it doesn't look good, I'll simply have to put this off a bit longer, find a '99-'02 harness, and go from there. I can get a '99 harness right now but it's going to cost me more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. In addition, I'd like to find out if the '98 works as that gives everyone greater potential to find a working harness.

So, you can find the diagrams I was able to source, here:

Index of /landcruiser/wiring

The diagrams are separated into their respective folder by year.

For filenames:

98 = 1998
02 = 2002
CF = Condenser Fan
FAC = Front Air Conditioning
RAC = Rear Air Conditioning
wo = without

Strangely enough, there are diagrams for rear AC and without rear AC for both '98 and '02, even though I don't think either year had an option.

The diagram designs are slightly different so I can't just lay them over eachother in Photoshop. However, if it's helpful, I Photoshop each diagram side by side to compare years. If anyone here is willing to lend me a hand and that helps them, I'll gladly do it.

Alright, wordy post is about over. We're finally making some headway and hopefully soon I'll be away from the POS head unit, as will others.

Don't the 2002 and the 2003 have the same generation of nav? Would this translate to a 2003?

Atomsk - your limitations, inability to read wiring diagrams, is exactly why I haven't tackled this yet. I guess I'll be along for the ride, not able to contribute anything though.
Good luck, dude.

Atomsk - your limitations, inability to read wiring diagrams, is exactly why I haven't tackled this yet. I guess I'll be along for the ride, not able to contribute anything though.
Good luck, dude.

I'm really not worried about swapping the harness. I am worried that I'll buy the wrong one and have no idea how to fix it! Hopefully we'll all get this figured out soon. :)

I should also point out for future researchers - According to @beno, the part number on the dash harness isn't actually a part number. That specific harness is part of a larger harness network, so there's really no way of finding out if the dash harness is different by looking at part numbers throughout the years. He did tell me that the larger wiring network changes several times from '98 to '02.

This is awesome! I'm in the same boat, wiring is not my forte...@atomsk, I applaud your efforts and am truly grateful for the intel. I am still gathering parts and am hoping to get the swap done soon. thanks for sharing! I have an 02 also, and can't figure out what harness to acquire; hopefully I can just piggyback your project

I learned two things today:

1) Asian-owned junkyards try to squeeze every penny out of you for something.

2) Heat guns melt the buttons off the climate controls... quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom