PowerStop Z36 Brakes and Stop Tech/Centric SS Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
I've read dozens, if not hundreds of posts about brakes in my research so far. I've seen many talked about, some more than others, but it seems like there is relatively little documentation of experiences over time. Anecdotal replies seem to be the norm. Based on my research I have tentatively decided to go with the PowerStop Z36 kit (K4117-36) which is on order. I've created this thread to document my experiences with them. As they have not arrived yet, I'll first ask for any positive or negative feedback from the group. Assuming no show-stoppers are posted in response, I hope to have them installed before my trip to LCDC.

First I'll start by giving my thought process on the choice. Feel free to critique. While I generally do not tow, I have added a considerable amount of weight to my vehicle and will be adding more. I wouldn't concern myself with a heavy duty brake package if I spent the majority of my time on flat roads, even with the added weight for now, but I do spent most of my highway miles and off-road miles in mountainous areas. My understanding from other Z36 users on heavy rigs is that they have performed well under a variety of conditions. I know two people who have run them on F250s and a third (my mechanic) has them on order for his F250 as well. The F250 consistency is just coincidence. I have another friend who runs them on his Tundra, which is frequently used for towing. All have reported significant improvement over stock and good lifespan. My expectation is that for my rig at its current weight, and to accommodate future added weight (bumpers), the Z36 setup will perform well without being overkill. This was my goal. Good for today and good for the future.

I also decided to upgrade the lines to stainless steel StopTech/Centric (950.44519, 950.44025). I know that "upgrade" has received mixed reviews on here, but I prefer a firmer pedal feel and currently my pedal is too soft for my liking. I went with the StopTech/Centric lines found on amazon that have been referenced in other threads. My assumption is that with the new brakes and lines, I'll have a good starting point to evaluate and document my experience on various conditions and will post updates as I go.

For now, I would encourage you all to weigh in if you have thoughts or opinions. If you would like to tell me I'm an idiot, you are welcome to do so, but please also explain why. :) I'll do my best to document the install and any issues that come up and hopefully will have a good opportunity to share some thoughts after the trip to LCDC.

Last edited:
I did the SS brake lines but went DBA rotors and TRD pads. You'll definitely get more bite and initial contact when apply brakes like you're looking for. I did the change for the same reasons you're mentioning of that squishy feeling and I knew I was going to make her a heavy girl. Coming up on over a year of making the change and still happy.

I did DBA rotors and Hawk Super Duty pads this Spring, and I am very pleased with the improvement. It did take a few trips to get the pads bedded, but once you give them a few heat cycles to bake, wow they really helped. I still do not like the amount of pedal travel required to get things to start binding, but I don't see any way to fix that.

I also just did a brake upgrade on my Miata, and I installed StopTech SS lines, and they were very high quality. I'm glad you found the application numbers, as my usual go-to for brake stuff (KNS Brakes) and TireRack does not show a StopTech line for this vehicle. In fact, Amazon reports that the second link you posted for the rears is not compatible for my '15. Please report on fitment if you can, I have found this issue many times with Amazon.

I did DBA rotors and Hawk Super Duty pads this Spring, and I am very pleased with the improvement. It did take a few trips to get the pads bedded, but once you give them a few heat cycles to bake, wow they really helped. I still do not like the amount of pedal travel required to get things to start binding, but I don't see any way to fix that.

I also just did a brake upgrade on my Miata, and I installed StopTech SS lines, and they were very high quality. I'm glad you found the application numbers, as my usual go-to for brake stuff (KNS Brakes) and TireRack does not show a StopTech line for this vehicle. In fact, Amazon reports that the second link you posted for the rears is not compatible for my '15. Please report on fitment if you can, I have found this issue many times with Amazon.
They will work. I have those exact brake lines on an '08. Nothing has changed on the cruiser brake lines, also just dbl checked on autoanything and shows as a match.

I seem to remember from a couple of other threads that there could be problems if you replace the rotors but don't replace the parking brake shoes. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I did not change my parking brake shoes since they still had meat and no issues.

Technically the parking shoes wear to the diameter of the drum that they were used with. If that drum had a lot of wear, resulting in a significantly larger diameter, your shoes might only hit on the ends when applied. This would be felt as a very gradual and “mushy” application of the parking brake compared to how it’s supposed to feel.

Fortunately most of these don’t have very worn drums and shoes.. I’d bet many didn’t even have the parking brake pulled for most of their lives.

But, technically, if you have a lip on the inner edge of your old drums, they did wear together, and the truly correct way to do things is to replace all of it. I had a lip but wore my old shoes into the new drums with some parking brake application while driving, then readjusted everything. Works great now.

There's no harm in replacing everything, but it doesn't mean it is required. I think a lot of good parts get replaced when not truly needed.

Looks like the brake kit won't arrive until Tuesday, AFTER I leave for LCDC. So I won't have them in time. I will have the SS lines in time. Any good reason why I shouldn't go ahead and install them?

As long as your bleeders move freely and you know how to flush brakes, I don't see any reason why it would be a problem to replace them.

Good news! Decided to give UPS a call to see if there was anything I could do to get the brakes here faster. They are making them available for me to pick-up at their location on Monday morning, so I should be able to get them installed before I leave for LCDC late Monday night. From my old day job I have a FLIR thermal camera I am going to try an integrate with a Raspberry Pi connected to my hotspot in the vehicle to capture some heat signatures during the mountain passes if I can figure out a good way to mount it and get the view that would be informative. It's a long shot to work the way I have envisioned, but I think this is a unique opportunity to capture some good data on brake performance even without something to compare it to.

So I got the Brakes and lines installed just before I left. This was delayed because I had to stalk a UPS driver to track down the rear brakes after picking up the front brakes at the UPS distribution center. What an ordeal.

Pads/rotors are SOOOOO easy to change on these, I was amazed. The rear inner brake lines were a little challenging but but bad. The brakes work great, but I haven't noticed a big change is the pedal feel. I was hoping for a bit firmer pedal.

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

Did you have any issues with the rears? I had mine installed and the rears rubbed the backing plates so bad I couldn’t use the rear rotors at all. The front is fine and I really like how it feels. Waiting on Power Stop to get back to me. Thinking maybe they sent me the wrong rotors.

Did you have any issues with the rears? I had mine installed and the rears rubbed the backing plates so bad I couldn’t use the rear rotors at all. The front is fine and I really like how it feels. Waiting on Power Stop to get back to me. Thinking maybe they sent me the wrong rotors.

No problems with the rears. The whole thing went smoothly except for the rear inner brake lines. The lengths didn't match OEM, so it was confusing. Beyond that, the whole brake job was smooth.

I'm running the same exact setup for brakes. Let me know what you think after you get some miles on them.

I'm running the same exact setup for brakes. Let me know what you think after you get some miles on them.

With only about 2k miles on them, many in the mountains, I like them. They did not solve the soft brake pedal issue at all though.

So far so good. They have done very well around town and in the mountains. No issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom