Power steering stiff when car is old then becomes ok.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I recently noticed my steering is very stiff in the mornings, but as car warms abit it becomes ok.

I feel the pump may be getting weak. Anyone out there know if there is any adjustment or anyway to tell if the pump is weak?

Also if weak would you recommend changing the seals? or put in new pump?

Regards

Last edited:
Pump Likely needs rebuilt with new gaskets.
Toyota sells rebuild kit or Gates if available in Kenya

Power Steering Pump Whine

Try flushing the fluid and refill. Cheaper than a new pump.

Thanks, going to try to get a pump seal kit and re-build then put in new fluid and hope for the best! will update

Definitely do a power steering flush before a rebuild. It often solves the PS pump noise issue as well. Unless it is leaking heavily, you probably can fix most issues by flushing it.

I had fitted a Heavy duty steering damper and could not even turn the steering, the pump seemed not to have enough power to turn. Once I switched back to the original damper, power steering acting up when cold but is ok otherwise. So doubt flushing the fluid will help, looks like pump seals are weak......however there is no bearing noise but slight leak in the pipes...

Update - took off the power steering pump and rebuilt with new seals kit, however problem still persists.

Steering is hard when cold (every morning) then becomes ok. When I checked the pump internals looked ok, no excessive wear, maybe its just not making enough pressure?

I would try a tablespoon of Downy Fabric Softner in Power Steering Reservoir. It has worked for others, but more for noise issues.
At this point you have nothing to lose.

No one seems to have mentioned the variable assistance valve in the steering box, do you guys not get that?

They can play up and tend to stick when cold, change the fluid, use the car for a couple of weeks and change the fluid again, this normally brings them back to life....well if you have one fitted?

Regards

Dave

Update - took off the power steering pump and rebuilt with new seals kit, however problem still persists.

Steering is hard when cold (every morning) then becomes ok. When I checked the pump internals looked ok, no excessive wear, maybe its just not making enough pressure?

How did the fluid look then and now? The pump and reservoir only hold maybe half of the fluid, if it was/is nasty, flushing is good. Is that pump gear or belt driven? When cold, if the motor RPM is increased, does the assist return? Does the pump make any noise?

I would try a tablespoon of Downy Fabric Softner in Power Steering Reservoir. It has worked for others, but more for noise issues.
At this point you have nothing to lose.

Downy has a little silicone in it, good foam suppressant, but also has a lot of water, a major contaminant to the system. I wouldn't use it, if it cant be properly repaired, would just add a few drops of silicone. Most power steering fluid already has foam suppressant, so....

Thanks guys, the fluid is clean just as it was before, no whining noise from pump. Pump is gear driven. Higher RPM have no effect, it softens up after driving for about 3 minutes....

Dave thanks, need to look into the valve on the steering box, anyone have anymore info on this? Can it be removed and cleaned?

An update on this issue, I put in new power steering pipes, reserviour bottle and the problem dissapeared. Looks like some air was entering the system and causing the hard steer when cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom