Power steering cooler & hydro. Other options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,

I currently have hydro assist setup on my truck using the Wits End's power steering oil cooler setup. I pieced together my own kit since Joey was out of stock so I am running the Summit Racing's oil cooler (link below). So far, I've had some bad luck with two of the coolers. They are leaking at the seams of the weld. I have a 3rd replacement from Summit but I would rather not waste more time and fluid installing it. Will the brand name, Derale, be "better"? They seem to have the exact same dimensions. They look like they are from the same factory?

I even had a local buddy re-weld the end of the cooler on one side where it noticeably leaked. Once done, he tested it for leaks with 150psi under water and it held up for 10 minutes. After a week at King of hammers and little bit of crawling, its leaking at the both seams - the -rewelded side & other factor side (first 2 images). I made an observation that most rock crawlers at KOH had leaking/seeping power steering lines and coolers.

Do you guys have other alternative ideas on coolers?

Summit Racing's 14" Oil Cooler

Derale Oil Cooler

E44C5EFA-5037-4C5A-BA7A-1F334A89BB1E.jpeg

6594E31F-C992-4C3B-A902-58872E89AAC2.jpeg

8A23083D-E4E5-4A2E-9FB4-E3D006984476.jpeg

667E9396-6BA6-4E08-B1CE-D6D6BB59CB41.jpeg

ACEE4DF7-9B8C-4527-AAAA-A7AEA574E87B.jpeg

Last edited:
That style sucks and is more for looks than function. Get a small plate and fin cooler and mount it in front of your radiator if you really care

FWIW I have been running the Derale cooler with my hydro assist and 39" tires with out issue for 3 or 4 years now. 🤷‍♂️
I do run the straight through model, in one one end out the other.

DeRale is the one I use and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the design. Does exactly what it’s supposed to do. I have shipped exactly 552 of these since I started putting kits together. Not one complaint about the cooler from customers. I’ve had complaints on the manufacturing end because DeRale mixes alloys so it can make anodizing a challenge.

The ONLY time there is a report of leaking it’s always from the 90° fitting connection at the adapter fitting. They crank down too hard on that and it will crack the internal flare. When that happens I replace it with a new one. Problem solved.

I have no experience with Summit coolers nor if I know 100% if they are the same. I will say the the photo doesn’t match the DeRale mounting.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I called Summit and they cannot confirm if their cooler is the same as Derale. They are sending a Derale one so I can confirm. I'll keep you posted on this.

In the mean time, I purchased Hayden #402 per the recommendation of the guys I got my hydro ram from.

That would be hard to weld up after being filled with oil. I would want to machine the leaking weld out, clean the oil out and weld with quality filler metal.

The efficiency of those finned tank style coolers is not spectacular. It's acting as a tank for added fluid capacity moreso than a cooler.

Can you post up a picture of how your ram is mounted?

There a few right up on the subject, but hears mine
1647439782047.png

1647439904037.png

Hey Mud,

I currently have hydro assist setup on my truck using the Wits End's power steering oil cooler setup. I pieced together my own kit since Joey was out of stock so I am running the Summit Racing's oil cooler (link below). So far, I've had some bad luck with two of the coolers. They are leaking at the seams of the weld. I have a 3rd replacement from Summit but I would rather not waste more time and fluid installing it. Will the brand name, Derale, be "better"? They seem to have the exact same dimensions. They look like they are from the same factory?

I even had a local buddy re-weld the end of the cooler on one side where it noticeably leaked. Once done, he tested it for leaks with 150psi under water and it held up for 10 minutes. After a week at King of hammers and little bit of crawling, its leaking at the both seams - the -rewelded side & other factor side (first 2 images). I made an observation that most rock crawlers at KOH had leaking/seeping power steering lines and coolers.

Do you guys have other alternative ideas on coolers?

Summit Racing's 14" Oil Cooler

Derale Oil Cooler

View attachment 2918163

View attachment 2918167

View attachment 2918164

View attachment 2918165

View attachment 2918166
I bought a Derale and I'm leaking at the seal too. I have another coming in and hoping it doesn't have a leak 🤞🏽. On the threads, are you using the Teflon tape or paste and what is the best recommendation?

That style sucks and is more for looks than function. Get a small plate and fin cooler and mount it in front of your radiator if you really care
I run 17” double pass derale and it makes a significant difference Keeping fluid temp down to where it’s best at around 150 on hot days.

Last edited:
I have had two Derales that leak in the same spot. Just a slow seep. With the large PSC reservoir I just have to top it up every so often. Oil leaks keep the rust away :)

I used a Derale 13102 mounted flat with two Spal fans on top.

21953418045_7759081243_h.jpg

21927258726_ce4d726ceb_h.jpg

The whole unit is mounted behind the skid plate of my 4x4Labs bumper

21941307582_e47bcd8729_h.jpg

If I'm leaking after the one coming, this'll be my next purchase. Do you have better pictures of how you mounted it?

My guess is this set up cools better the anything the rest of are using, however the rest of us most likely won't have space to Mount it.

If I'm leaking after the one coming, this'll be my next purchase. Do you have better pictures of how you mounted it?

You can kinda see it here. I made some mounting feet to elevate the cooler about 1" off the bottom surface and it simply bolts to the skid plate.

PWV1IUDh.png

My guess is this set up cools better the anything the rest of are using, however the rest of us most likely won't have space to Mount it.

Yeah the 4x4Labs bumper has a nice big opening underneath because the winch sits up so high. Most other bumpers won't have this available. And the grill area gets a bit crowded too if you already have an aux fan.

I bought a Derale and I'm leaking at the seal too. I have another coming in and hoping it doesn't have a leak 🤞🏽. On the threads, are you using the Teflon tape or paste and what is the best recommendation?
The first one leaked immediately. This one looks like it's holding up.

20220405_164411_HDR.jpg

What kind of cooler are you running behind the auxiliary fan ? Thanks
It's a heat exchanger for my supercharger intercooler.

For anyone interested, I ended up having Summit send me a new Derale Cooling 13260 and its been working leak free on a few wheeling trips in Moab. I'd also note that the pictures used on there website for the Summit & Derale cooler is the same picture wise but they are not.

B46C35C6-BDD0-4529-85F2-9E05A821F019.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom