possible engine swap idea and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased my first...and second...fj80. I've been using this forum with good success to educate myself but, so far I have not been able to find a single case of someone even contemplating using a nissan td42 diesel in a land cruiser.

Has anyone heard of this being done or, better yet, does anyone know if there are parts available for the swap?

I ask because I have a td42 in a box truck that I picked up cheap and it seems like a good candidate for this application since they came in the nissan patrol and would likely fit just fine under the hood. They also have plenty of potential for power improvement when compared to the 3f-e that came in my '91.

Well, it looks like you get to be the Trailblazer!

That sounds terrifying. I had considered that I could use my parts truck to mock things up in but making an adapter is not something I have to equipment to do, hence me asking if any parts exist. I don't know that the box truck transmission will fit which is why I'm not looking to mate it to my transfer case (if that's even possible).

Find out where the guys doing the 4BT or 6BT swaps are getting their adapters and you MAY find a common source.

Is it similar to the popular Isuzu turbo diesel, common in some older LC swaps?

check the australian forums -this may be something that has already been done.

That's a deep rabbit hole yo. Big skillz and big bucks will be required, IMHO.
I'd go with a proven concept to replace the motor, if it were me.

That is a black hole, you'll need a bunch of time and money, to get things right, to accomplish something worth while, and not building a piece of junk that never works right

I recently purchased my first...and second...fj80. I've been using this forum with good success to educate myself but, so far I have not been able to find a single case of someone even contemplating using a nissan td42 diesel in a land cruiser.

Has anyone heard of this being done or, better yet, does anyone know if there are parts available for the swap?

I ask because I have a td42 in a box truck that I picked up cheap and it seems like a good candidate for this application since they came in the nissan patrol and would likely fit just fine under the hood. They also have plenty of potential for power improvement when compared to the 3f-e that came in my '91.

Haven't heard of or read about it being done. You don't need fancy equipment. If you can learn autocad and use calipers you can design your own adapter and have it machined. Or, do the research and find out whether or not that engine ever had an aisin transmission attached, or if it ever came with a transmission that was paired to a transfer case with the correct outputs. Or the other option I can think of is find out whether there is an NP203 adapter, then you would use a np203 to 19 spline split case doubler adapter. Then you'd just use a part time land cruiser transfer case behind the low range of a NP203.

From my research, I could get a th400 adapter to fit the engine and then go the usual route to use that trans in our trucks. Still sounds super pricey... But doable since the td42t diesel is all mechanical so very little wiring involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom