poor acceleration, doggy, etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks, still fighting with this rig since the last debacle, but it has evolved.

Description of current issue:
Lacks power, idle seems good. Right now its about as quick as a automatic NA volvo 240 wagon, full...
It will get up hills, and though it does not really seem to be straining, its pace is like it is hauling a log trailer. Things i notice now that i did not before, wistle in exhaust when wot, heavy guttural gurgling, snarling from the PAIR valve, It does this when you close the throttle.

Description of previous issue:
I have not had this truck a long time, and most of that time, my wife used it to get to work in bad weather. It could have idled a bit better, but it ran pretty dang good when i got it.

anyway the 80 died on the way back from work during the winter, while my wife was using it.
New used coil helped, still was not usable, swapped new used igniter and it ran and drove again.

In the time i diagnosed that and swapped them, a lot of fuel did get dumped into the exhaust, floodingit pretty good, tons probably, not sure how the cats appreciated that. I do have exhaust flow, but the pipes seem to get really hot pretty darn fast.

After the coil and igniter swap it was doggy, jerking hesitation, etc. turnes out CEL bulb was burnt out, replacing that showed the light, EGR code.

i just swapped injectors, fpr, cleaned the TB, and intake, did gaskets, replaced all intake associated vacuum lines, looped and shorted egr. light has not come back, Idle is much better, much lower too but smooth.
Jerking is gone, hesitation is gone and it seems to accelerated a little better, but maybe that is because it is smooth, but it is SLOW, way too slow.

So, anyone bet this is the cats after i flooded the hell out of them and let it sit? No CEL...

Any other suggestions are appreciated, i swapped the TPS out of curiosity, though i have not tested the wiring there, the thing is this truck ran pretty dang good before all this, idle could have been a bit better, but it ran great... harness by the egr pipe looks good...

Thanks!

Sounds like a good theory to me. The cats could be too restrictive causing your problems. If they are original they are 20+ years old.

It is just funny that the large change in performance happened after the coil/igniter death. but maybe that was enough to really hurt them.
And yes, i am pretty sure they are original, with 220k on them... This is a 94, i have a new 95 magnaflow y pipe, i need to get the rest of the bits, I usually make my own exhaust, but i just have too much going on right now, I am not really sure what is available.

This is a 94, i have a new 95 magnaflow y pipe, i need to get the rest of the bits, I usually make my own exhaust, but i just have too much going on right now, I am not really sure what is available.
what's available is bosal or walker for cheap, borla for lots more and @OTRAMM for really nice and forever.
use the magnaflow, move your o2's to the manifold where you need to remove the PAIR system. piece in the difference from the cat to the over the frame piece. Get a walker exact fit muffler for $100 and piece in the rest yourself from there on out.

what's available is bosal or walker for cheap, borla for lots more and @OTRAMM for really nice and forever.
use the magnaflow, move your o2's to the manifold where you need to remove the PAIR system. piece in the difference from the cat to the over the frame piece. Get a walker exact fit muffler for $100 and piece in the rest yourself from there on out.

thankyou.
does that little reso near the tip matter much on these rigs? sometimes they cut drone or weird vibes quite a bit?

i think i might as well just run the one cat, instead of buying a second one additional to what is on the y pipe.

thankyou.
does that little reso near the tip matter much on these rigs? sometimes they cut drone or weird vibes quite a bit?

i think i might as well just run the one cat, instead of buying a second one additional to what is on the y pipe.
I just run the one cat the stock Muffler with 315 thousand miles on it and no resonator on the end. The only difference I can tell is a louder whistle from the stock Muffler. I need to replace it. Will probably go with the Walker

thanks, i toyed with keeping my muffler, but it is cracked, so i might as well do it now.

Just pull thr exhaust out of the way after the y-pipe. Before the cats. See if it drives better(its going to be stupid loud). I had cats fail on me, exhaust smelled different and the exhaust manifold to just behind the cat got hot in a hurry. Try to compare with a known good running local 80.

Just pull thr exhaust out of the way after the y-pipe. Before the cats. See if it drives better(its going to be stupid loud). I had cats fail on me, exhaust smelled different and the exhaust manifold to just behind the cat got hot in a hurry. Try to compare with a known good running local 80.

I will do that once i have the rest of the parts on hands. Unfortunately i only know of 2 other 80s around here, both black ones, one with a rhino ornament off he grill and 4 runner trd rims, the other Looks stock other than light lift, and has the desert burn like mine, only, mine is not black. It is red. I leave the descriptions in case the locals are watching :)

looks like a 97 muffler will be an easier fit with the magnafow y pipe, so i'll do that, saves me fitting a bend around a corner.

Does anyone have any other thoughts of what this kind of issue could be. When i had dead cats in my g20 van, they were not plugged, just spent, loose, cores that rolled around and plugged on the way up hill. I am new to these trucks but just going up and down the road by my house, from cold, the 80 is far hotter than my now non catted g20 van (350), and any of my b230 volvos catted or not, etc, engine seemed pretty hot for just doing that too, and i now the cooling system is fine.

Does the PAIR system usually have a really disgusting gurgle like that if you blip the throttle to wot and drop it back to vacuum, it does it while in vacuum. I wonder if it is backing up, kinda sounds like it.

Quick question- i have the desire to replace my two cats and muffler on my 94 as well (muffler is splitting pretty good). what are you looking at for putting the 2 cats to one? is that the mag flow y-pipe you're talking about? Thanks. I'm hoping that it'll stop my whistle too...it's getting pretty bad.

BTW, i don't have any weird sounds coming from my PAIR bumping throttle...that sounds suspicious....i have a 94 as well.

Quick question- i have the desire to replace my two cats and muffler on my 94 as well (muffler is splitting pretty good). what are you looking at for putting the 2 cats to one? is that the mag flow y-pipe you're talking about? Thanks. I'm hoping that it'll stop my whistle too...it's getting pretty bad.

BTW, i don't have any weird sounds coming from my PAIR bumping throttle...that sounds suspicious....i have a 94 as well.

thanks!

so, yea i am basically just switching to the later style, i decided to just get ansa factory fit pipes for the back.
The magnaflow y pipe according to this forum is a direct fit to the exhaust manifolds, but like mentioned earlier, you will need to pull your PAIR system and use its inlet fittings for the O2 sensors.
mid 95 and later uses a y pipe that joints before the two cats, which are in line with an o2 fore and aft of them.

94 and earlier has the two pipes from each manifold, each with their own o2, and own cat, and a union after the cat.

Since 94 does not have an aft o2 i dont see a reason to buy the second cat, so i'll just put a straight pipe there.

I am using magnaflow 23120, if you dig you can find a good price Eastern Catalytic 40437 or Magnaflow 23120 | eBay
It included the 2 gaskets to the manifold, and the one aft of the cat, and one for the 02.

and then ANSA TY29943, which i will cut the inlet flange off of and add and extension pipe in, in the spot of the second cat on a 97.

and then ANSA TY29947

the gasket numbers are :
ansa hw7073 and hw7116

early style like our 94s

TY122.jpg

late style

TY115.jpg

the 02 bungs will need plugged or welded, and mounts probably are not a direct swap.

I'll report in with results.

awesome thanks! i look forward to hearing back from you. i was thinking about just using a direct replacement muffler and and see about having a shop fab up a small y pipe ahead of the cat and then run the cat a little farther back with a small section between the cat and the muffler. That was just a rough idea though...i figured, if it was too long i'd look at other muffler options that may be a little shorter to give some space in that area.....

i look forward to seeing how yours comes out.

awesome thanks! i look forward to hearing back from you. i was thinking about just using a direct replacement muffler and and see about having a shop fab up a small y pipe ahead of the cat and then run the cat a little farther back with a small section between the cat and the muffler. That was just a rough idea though...i figured, if it was too long i'd look at other muffler options that may be a little shorter to give some space in that area.....

the whistle is from the muffler. check my posts, I have a thread on what i did. also heres a pic of going from single cat, I just cut the y and pieced in a pipe with flange. i moved my 02s to the manifold

20180512_140952.jpg

the whistle is from the muffler. check my posts, I have a thread on what i did. also heres a pic of going from single cat, I just cut the y and pieced in a pipe with flange. i moved my 02s to the manifold

View attachment 1732046
not seeing your post man? did you link to it on here? i dig that! so is the whistling a sign of the muffler going bad? i know mine is because it's separating at the welds...but just curious about the whistle....

If you are replacing the muffler anyway, why not get the one that has less work involved to fit up to the inline or single cat setup? I am short on time, and welding in a straight pipe is much less work. That was my thinking anyway, though i might run into something. The y pipe is here, the rest is in the mail. I am not sure that you NEED the y pipe etc yet though. my exhaust is pretty much all toast, its not something that is going to unbolt if you know what i mean.

View attachment 1732046

great reference picture.
That looks good, and i thought my truck was fairly unrusty.... Is that the magnaflow y pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom