Poll on Head gasket problems (1 Viewer)

Poll about mileage and overheating

• HG blew between at over 250K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These poles are all well and good but I'd like to see HG failures according to geographical area.

Here in MA the engines in winter might start out at below zero and then warm up to 185*. That's a lot of expansion and would put greater stress on the HG than say if one lived in NM or AZ.

Since Eric is the pole pro I'll leave it up to him to set it up.

These poles are all well and good but I'd like to see HG failures according to geographical area.

Here in MA the engines in winter might start out at below zero and then warm up to 185*. That's a lot of expansion and would put greater stress on the HG than say if one lived in NM or AZ.

Since Eric is the pole pro I'll leave it up to him to set it up.

Gumby started this one just last night. Kind of what you were asking about.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=132283

mmm, this poll is now obsolete since some folks who voted no problem may now have had to do the HG, so it probably underestimate that aspect...

maybe I should start another one ...:D

I'm under the impression that those who HAVE had problems are probably much more likely to vote than those who HAVEN'T. I have a hard time believing that 20% of 80's out there have blown a HG within 250K miles. Thats 1 out of every 5.

II have a hard time believing that 20% of 80's out there have blown a HG within 250K miles. Thats 1 out of every 5.

Believe it.

In looking through the above list of those that, at the time of the poll, reported no HG problem, at least 2 have since had a HG failure reported here on the forum. One of those has had a failure on 2 different 80s he owns.

-B-

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that those who HAVE had problems are probably much more likely to vote than those who HAVEN'T..
I have that same feeling as well but I'd better knock on wood!:D I'm no mechanic so what are the obvious signs, overheating??

168k+ and no problems yet.

My head gasket sucks... My A/C licks.... LOL. Still the best SUV on the planet. Hands down. 112k

this poll is now worthless given the 20 or so HG that failed over the last 2 or 3 months... :eek:

I gotta start a new one... :D

I have owned 16 or 17 FZJ 80's in my life (lost count) and none have needed a HG replaced...infact the one I drive now (93 FZJ) has 213k miles and is still going strong....knock on wood.

I have a 96 LX450. HG blown two years ago with 75K miles on it. The car was always dealer serviced, although it doesn't mean much these days anymore. It did not overheat, in fact, I am still not convinced the diagnose was correct. It shocked violently when my wife was driving it. She pulled in the Toyota dealer near us for checkup. The dealer first suggested a tune up, then they thought was fuel injectors. Finally they said was a blown HG. The whole thing costed me 5k+. :-(

How the heck did that happen??

We use them (Land Cruisers) in Africa for our exploration business. To purchase a new LC (diesel) in Africa is about $50k and given how rough we are on the vehicles its more economical to purchase a used vehicle and ship them. We get about three years service out of a typical unit and then we sell it on the local market after a newly shipped one arrives.

:hmm:

:rolleyes: blew at like 175k or so. Did the job for a friend and only managed to find the tensile failing point of the knock sensor in the process :lol: That was about a year and a half ago, last I heard it had cracked 200k and survived one theft :censor: ('97 LX450)

Last edited:
HG blew and was replaced by the PO at 95k; they were a Toyota service-writer. Running strong at 156k now.

Just found out, as I went to my local Toyota dealer (the one where the PO worked) and asked for the full service record. I was given a stack of paper, which had every minute service detail up to 136k...a treasure-trove of info available, and will post a separate thread insead of hijacking.

:cheers:

Steve

As for those that have now had a failure, what about those who do not vote nor are members of Mud. Very unscientific at best. Your best bet is to do a poll simply on Failure at what mileage range. Mine is still going strong at 178,000 miles. Premature, less than 150K, is about 15%, according to poll. What is an acceptable rate of failure and at what mileage range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom