• south west w/o hg

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • west coast w/ hg

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • west coast w/o hg

Votes: 22 16.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to replace mine in Orange County (Southern CA). It was spring, temperature on the way there did not pass 80°F and the highest elevation was the Grapevine on I-5. The rest of the trip was pretty much at sea level.

Alvaro

Wasn't someone going to change their HG as a PM item? It was posted this week.

Thats me. Im still changing it, but the information on these types of polls is allways worth a read.

why did we get stuck with the Yankees?

There is big difference between Florida and Maine

I had to replace mine in Orange County (Southern CA). It was spring, temperature on the way there did not pass 80°F and the highest elevation was the Grapevine on I-5. The rest of the trip was pretty much at sea level.

Alvaro

Hi Alvaro,

When going over the grapevine did you have a water temp gauge or Ravens modded one? I ask because I have made that trip over the grapevine many times with the stock gauge it barely moved ofcenter with the modded gauge it gets into the red befor I am half way up. I have to slow down to keep it out of the red I can usually keep it about a needle width or 2 under the red. Before the gauge mod I was 65mph the whole way up.

Chris

I should make my poll too. :)

My thoughts on HG is depend on how you push the engine. I have seen HG fail on owners with meticulous service records, and their cooling system on top notch.

1) Do you always floor it (RPM questions)?
2) Do you tow your rig?
3) Mountain driving?
4) Ask something about off roading questions?

:D

The problem with my poll is that not too many people here are not original owners except for a few people like LX_Treme, and Dan. Many here are second, third, or even fourth owners.

Last edited:
why did we get stuck with the Yankees?

There is big difference between Florida and Maine

Because I was looking for extremes and only had 10 choices. I had to leave out somebody. Probably would have been better to have a north east and a south east and left out midwest. It's pretty much the same from the Dakotas to the east coast weather wise.

Alvaro

Not looking for where it blew as much as how did it live it's life previous.

Mine lived in West Virginia for it's first 50,000 miles. PO moved to Texas and sold it to me at 79,000. East coast then Texas. Hg failed after being driven like a stolen vehicle (street mostly) for the next 146,000 miles. I think I would say the last 146k was it's hardest.

FWIW, it had a new car smell when I got it, now smells like, well, not new.

Mine was in OH for the first 72K miles, then TN for another 10K, then southern CA from then until ~172K with multiple trips to PA, WV, CO thrown in. I went in as a PM prior to increasing turbo boost. Classic deformation at #6 cylinder and a little at #1. I'm at 185K now.

Hey, how do I vote again for my other 80? How about the other one under my care owned by my bro in law. Bigger sample = accuracy.

DougM

You forgot the PNW

Hey, how do I vote again for my other 80? How about the other one under my care owned by my bro in law. Bigger sample = accuracy.

DougM

create a dummy account maybe?

I voted west coast w/o head gasket for the Lexus, but the east coast Australia 80 has its original hg as well. Altitude - sea level. Weather - probably most like Florida. I'm the same latitude south as Palm Beach is north.

David

Mine spent most of its life in Southern California and Hawaii. Ran up the last 5K or so miles in Colorado. I voted SoCal, as that was the majority of miles.

The poll doesn't address failure/near failure versus replaced with no signs of immanent failure. Then again, I would guess that the number who have replaced HG without signs of immanent failure is pretty small.

Northeast it's entire life. P.O. had it done around 137K. I'm still worried it was not done to a standard I would have approved....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom