Poll on Head gasket problems (1 Viewer)

Poll about mileage and overheating

• HG blew between at over 250K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

having 2 votes is not a problem , if you have already voted you cannot vote agian.

yes, you can have somebody else who does not have an 80 vote for you... :)
the Chicago approach to voting.... :D

dang, looks like we got several more recently.... :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure does. The failure rate has climbed from the 7% that was consider a norm to now 18%. That's huge - That's recall - That's class action suit - That's scary!

Why the peak at 15K to 150K? Does this tell us something? Maybe the higher mileage trucks HAVE had a HG failure and the current owner doesn't know it.

Is it possible also..., there may be a fair number of no votes in the "no HG failure" camp because of the "jinx factor". Just being aware of the "jinx factor" and voting no failure would significantly increase your susceptibility to subsequent failure. Not that I'm trying to discourage anybody from voting :flipoff2:.

Just bought my Lx450 a couple months ago, 160,000 miles. Lexus records show original owner was very good to bring cruiser into the Lexus dealer for every recommended service. Head Gasket blew at 95,000 miles.

Hopefully that issue is all over and done with now.

Troy

LIVERUST said:
Just bought my Lx450 a couple months ago, 160,000 miles. Lexus records show original owner was very good to bring cruiser into the Lexus dealer for every recommended service. Head Gasket blew at 95,000 miles.

Hopefully that issue is all over and done with now.

Troy

I dare say that just because the vehicle was brought in for regular service, would not necessarily ensure that the coolant system has been maintained in top working order. There's more to it on these things than just feeling the reservoir to the full line, and I'm curious how thorough the dealers are when it comes to checking and maintaining the coolant system on these things.

Did they replace the radiator when they did the HG? You might take a peep inside and see if there is any sediment along the top.

Congrats on the purchase.

:beer:
Rookie2

I voted not blown yet, but I am not sure since I bought with 110k on the clock. The Lexus stealership had no record of it being done.

yup, failure rate is close to 20% of respondents, and is likely understimated among these because of unknown used purchases history...

OTOH, maybe everybody who had a failure felt compelled to respond, whereas the others may have not paid attention to the poll, of course.

Either way, it's a bit too much for comfort in my opinion.

Sorry to come in late to the survey......BMW has me totally obsessed the last few months (motor swap) .

I blew my HG @ 128K.

1 FZ motor.

My one interesting variable was that I'd recently ( <500 miles ago ) had my coolant system "powerflushed" at the local shop to switch back to factory red coolant since the PO had run Prestone for an unknown period. The green antifreeze wasn't an issue to me until we discussed here, so I've got no idea how long my truck had been on the green juice.

1 more bad vote in the poll - sorry guys.

---Ben

it's about 20% now....! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

just to be clear, the point of this poll is not to make everybody be paranoid. But rather to try and identify any mileage cause and also to ascertain the extent of the problem.
The way it's starting to look, it may well be that we should start thinking about it being worth the trouble to replace the HG as normal PM.

e9999 said:
it's about 20% now....! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

just to be clear, the point of this poll is not to make everybody be paranoid. But rather to try and identify any mileage cause and also to ascertain the extent of the problem.
The way it's starting to look, it may well be that we should start thinking about it being worth the trouble to replace the HG as normal PM.

People who have had problems are more likely to respond. The statistics have no validity.

This is a poll, not a statistical sample.

Nay

Agreed. I never looked at this poll because I had no HG issues. The numbers are slanted. Also, it would have been very helpful to have mileage on cruisers with no HG issues, like mine with 168K.
Years apparently might be a factor too, mine's a 94.
Kinda sounds like the HG issues came with the airbags. :D

-Spike

no head gasket problems, but a few overheating problems due to filling the radiator full of mud

300,000 miles, no problems.

1997, 133K

Haven't determined if it was the head gasket yet (and will refrain from voting until I do), but she came home on a rollback last night. Was 7 miles from the house when the CE light came on. Looked at the temp gauge and it was pegged. :crybaby:

I'll post back when I know more.

Brought it back to the top, oh yeah lost mine I will post pics of the HG. Not much mystery to the location just look at everyone elses pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom