"pocket" for radio hole? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone sell a "pocket" for the radio hole in the dash of an FJ40? Please post photos of what storage solutions you have come up with for the radio hole. Thanks!

Never seen one, but it'd be fairly easy to make one out of a shyer of 3/16" Poly polypropylene. All you'd need was some wood (for a mold), a saw, a file or two, some cotton to line it, a shop vac, an oven, a square foot of poly, cotton garden gloves, and a Teflon sheet to heat the plastic on... Sound easy enough.

Google vacuum molding orthotics...:D

Most just use a block off plate and call it a day though.

Some of the late nineties 4Runners had a double DIN opening with only a single DIN radio. The extra space was filled with a plastic pocket. Wonder if it would be possible to mount that pocket from the back side and use the flanges for the stock radio to secure it? Use the factory blank plate and it could be a hidden compartment. Or just leave it open for a convenient place to toss things.

I would make one out of sheet aluminum (like a fallen road sign) and pop rivet it together. If you start with some thin cardboard such as found in cereal boxes and play with a template and the various needed bends, you can minimize the edges needing to be connected with pop rivets. Of course, if you weld aluminum, that's another story.

There are mounting tabs on the inside of the dash hole that can be used to mount the pocket.

radio pocket option

You can also put a Carling switch housing in the pocket for 6 toggle switches. If you do not need all of them, use a blank that snaps in the hole.
http://www.waytekwire.com/products/...witches/&pageSize=36&Component=Mounting-Panel
98.jpg

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go the storage pocket route with the sheet aluminum and pop rivets. (Although, the vacuum molding sounds interesting.) If it works out, I may fab a few and see if anyone else is interested in one. Is the opening the same size for all year models?

I bought the 3 switch blank, a blue sea 12V output and some ABS Plastic to make a cover. I had two ARB locker switches left over from the install in my 100 (used an 80's series rotary switch instead)

blank.JPG

I used the swich panel as a template and drew an outline and just started with a razor blade till I had a hole. Then I used my drill with a hole bit to make the spot for the outlet. The Blue Sea outlet works well because the back has threads and you put the nut on and tighten it up

P1.JPG

I then sanded the sides and used the sander to make the top corners round. Still trying to decide if I am done or need to do something else like sand it down more so it fits below the lip

P2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom