Phone mount recommendation? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
Any clever cell phone mounts you guys are using (besides the typical suction cup mounts)? Was wondering if there is anything decent out there?

I've just got a simple vent-clip magnetic one now, and it's OK for the road. Doesn't hold so well on trails.

I've been eyeing the ProClip mount. I think a few guys here have them modded to hold a few different flavors of actual holders.

**Edit: NVM, I was doing some searching see you already used it. Have you had issues with the Proclip?

Last edited:
Same, i love the magentic one's... just a simple one attached to air vent on the right side of steering wheel.

easy to attach and detach, not cumbersome and hardly noticeable when phone is detached, i hate clutter... if you get strong magnet and large plate attached to phone it holds up very secure even in bumpy off roads.

Amazon product ASIN B01M0GTZDN

I've had this for a few years - best phone mount I've used or seen. And for $12!
The adhesive has held in Atlanta's 90++ degree temps and the magnet is great - you can almost toss the phone at the mount.

Amazon product ASIN B00I608BJ8

I also use the magnet with the vent clip works great. Actually surprised how much of a pounding it takes before it falls off.

Last edited:
Any clever cell phone mounts you guys are using (besides the typical suction cup mounts)? Was wondering if there is anything decent out there?

This one is my favorite so far. Wireless charging, motorized auto-clamping and one button opening makes for one-handed use! Watch the video...

Amazon product ASIN B083P4MGTW

Last edited:
I've just got a simple vent-clip magnetic one now, and it's OK for the road. Doesn't hold so well on trails.

I've been eyeing the ProClip mount. I think a few guys here have them modded to hold a few different flavors of actual holders.

**Edit: NVM, I was doing some searching see you already used it. Have you had issues with the Proclip?
Yeah I used that mount way back. I pulled it off after a couple of days. Didn’t like how much you had to force it into the crevice between the dash panels. Luckily there was no damage but I was worried that if the mount was installed long term, it would mess up the panel.

Really like the M2V2 from BenCC - Pricey but super stout. Ram Mount with built in QI charger.

M2V2.5.jpg

M2V2.7.jpg

If you have an earlier year 100, I think the M2V2 is amazing. I'm biased since I produce the faceplate, but the design is all @BenCC . He nailed the design and multiple people have tried it with big heavy phones/ipads on rough trails. No failures so far.

I would love see some other clever mounts for the later years. So far, my 06 just uses a suction cup ram mount on the windshield. It's ok, but I'm sure there's a better idea out there somewhere. The Owl Expedition mount is cool, I just don't like that it makes the center console look busy.

Check out this post from the 200 series section to see how I mounted my phone. Works perfectly.
d6PlyiVl.jpg

This phone clip is cheap and works so well on the trails. It has a hook that holds onto the vent unlike most other vent magnetic mounts. I use it on the vent to the right of my steering wheel and it's been great,

1600360474763.png

Amazon product ASIN B08774W2HV

Check out this post from the 200 series section to see how I mounted my phone. Works perfectly.
d6PlyiVl.jpg

As @suprarx7nut points out for BenCC's M2V2 mount, this method would work fine on the early models, but I don't think I'd want that on one of the later models with side air bags

I have two of those RAM mounts, one on a suction cup for the driver and one on the M2V2 mount from @BenCC and have nothing but good things to say. Even over the roughest terrain at speed they hold the phones tightly. I have not had a good experience with the magnetic ones and in the state of TX one cannot have even the tiniest obstruction of the A/C flow! :)

Melon dash.jpg

Last edited:
I just slid all of my chips in and realized that I don't care what the next owner thinks of my mods. I drilled 8 holes in the dash and I put in an 8" Yak Attack GTX175 track. It also uses the Yak Attack FulBack backing plate. I had to get 1" #10-32 bolts to make it through the thick dash. Now I can connect anything in the Ram mount ecosystem to the 1" ball connectors that I have. It is super secure off road and that was the important part for me. It drives me nuts when mounted items flop around off road. I have already done 3 weekend trips on it and I would totally do it again. It keeps everything as close to my line of site as possible while not obscuring any forward visual lines. I have a Panavise and I would skip it. It just isn't secure enough. I also have Ram Mount's x-grip and Quick Grip for phones. I much much prefer the Quick Grip. It allows for one handed mounting and also won't interfere with any of the buttons on the phone.

20200825_225700.jpg

I have tried many mounts like the Scosche but didn't work. I think my phone was heavy as it is Iphone 8 Plus. I have yet to find a phone mount which has lasted a decent amount of time.

Last edited:
That looks good, @gungriffin , my dash isn't in awesome shape so I probably wouldn't care much if I had to drill through it. Plus, my 100 is so modified at this point that whoever is going to want it -assuming I'll ever get rid of it- isn't going to mind permanent modifications. That looks like it would hold a 10" tablet nicely, which would be great for navi.

+1 on the M2V2 mount from @BenCC

Used various vent clip ones before and they never held well off road. M2V2 with Ram Mount has worked great. The X-grip holds strong, but it is a two handed operations to put the phone in or take it out. There are 3rd party brands that use the Ram ball mounts that offer one handed cradles.

full

And if you have a later model,

I run this with the Ram Mount X-Grip and it's been rock solid.

@jlm43 Have any actual pics?

I think I might have to go with one of the Ben's options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom