Permanent power antenna removal before snorkel install and related inquiry/info. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ll try and keep this short and sweet. I searched and found some great threads but couldn’t find anything quite specific to these few questions.

I started some work this weekend in preparation for a snorkel install as well as continuing my cargo area work.

1. My antenna motor was shot, no noise upon power and mast completely broken off. Since I had to get the fender liner down for the snorkel work I pulled the antenna motor to toss. I’d like to use Gamiviti’s antenna mount and just use a fixed mast and run the cord back down through the fender into the cab to reconnect and be able to use the radio again. My question is do I just leave the old mast’s power supply cord hanging in the fender well? I thought maybe I could zip-tie it to the little crossmember in there at least? Maybe with a ziplock around it. Or maybe it’s fine once the liner is put back on. I also wasn’t sure if I should pull it through into the engine bay, if that’s what I should do then I can. Thought maybe someone who has foregone/removed their power antenna might have an answer.

4. Now that the power antenna is gone I have a hole where the mast grommet was. It looks too high for my Safari Snorkel to cover, so I’m left wondering if there’s a good way to plug/seal that up? (Unfortunately I had to stop early today because some surprise rain showed up, so being someone who works with cameras I went for the gaffers tape and covered that hole for today.)

(Slightly off-topic question)
3. I removed the rear cargo area speaker. My build is a little different, I’ve gutted the inside and permanently removed all of the seats, so music back there isn’t a priority and it gets rid of some in-the-way bulk on that side. I’m guessing I can just tape the cord that fed that speaker to the others running along there?

(Lastly...out of curiosity)
4. I don’t suppose anyone has reused the power antenna button (or button space) for anything else once they’ve removed the power antenna, have they? Was just curious if that could find a new life somehow.

I appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Bryan

PS - If anyone else breaks nearly every damn fender liner clip like I did, I found these replacements on Amazon, look like they should work…hopefully:
Amazon.com: 10 Toyota Fender Splash Shield Clips Camry Echo MR2: Automotive

PPS - That is the dirt that was trapped behind the liner for who knows how long. Actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

24194604041_aeed01c92e_b.jpg

24168961752_f595436d99_b.jpg

24194603951_a9807e7413_b.jpg

23650314513_acee500ac4_b.jpg

I’ll try and keep this short and sweet. I searched and found some great threads but couldn’t find anything quite specific to these few questions.

I started some work this weekend in preparation for a snorkel install as well as continuing my cargo area work.

1. My antenna motor was shot, no noise upon power and mast completely broken off. Since I had to get the fender liner down for the snorkel work I pulled the antenna motor to toss. I’d like to use Gamiviti’s antenna mount and just use a fixed mast and run the cord back down through the fender into the cab to reconnect and be able to use the radio again. My question is do I just leave the old mast’s power supply cord hanging in the fender well? I thought maybe I could zip-tie it to the little crossmember in there at least? Maybe with a ziplock around it. Or maybe it’s fine once the liner is put back on. I also wasn’t sure if I should pull it through into the engine bay, if that’s what I should do then I can. Thought maybe someone who has foregone/removed their power antenna might have an answer.

4. Now that the power antenna is gone I have a hole where the mast grommet was. It looks too high for my Safari Snorkel to cover, so I’m left wondering if there’s a good way to plug/seal that up? (Unfortunately I had to stop early today because some surprise rain showed up, so being someone who works with cameras I went for the gaffers tape and covered that hole for today.)

(Slightly off-topic question)
3. I removed the rear cargo area speaker. My build is a little different, I’ve gutted the inside and permanently removed all of the seats, so music back there isn’t a priority and it gets rid of some in-the-way bulk on that side. I’m guessing I can just tape the cord that fed that speaker to the others running along there?

(Lastly...out of curiosity)
4. I don’t suppose anyone has reused the power antenna button (or button space) for anything else once they’ve removed the power antenna, have they? Was just curious if that could find a new life somehow.

I appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Bryan

PS - If anyone else breaks nearly every damn fender liner clip like I did, I found these replacements on Amazon, look like they should work…hopefully:
Amazon.com: 10 Toyota Fender Splash Shield Clips Camry Echo MR2: Automotive

PPS - That is the dirt that was trapped behind the liner for who knows how long. Actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

24168961752_f595436d99_b.jpg

sorry if i missed it somewhere, but what did you do to fill the hole from the antenna. i'd "heard" there was a low profile antenna that some have used, or just a whip style stationary one...

i ask because i installed my safari snorkel about a month ago, and i opted to keep the antenna and use the heat gun method to heat and notched it to fit. it's definitely not a good flush fit, but it works. i think i want to remove mine now....i am afraid to heat it up any more and bend the snorkel, because it doesnt look real pretty already and i hate i had to do that in the first place....

thanks.

I also would like to ditch my non working stock antenna for a static stubby, following

sorry if i missed it somewhere, but what did you do to fill the hole from the antenna. i'd "heard" there was a low profile antenna that some have used, or just a whip style stationary one...

i ask because i installed my safari snorkel about a month ago, and i opted to keep the antenna and use the heat gun method to heat and notched it to fit. it's definitely not a good flush fit, but it works. i think i want to remove mine now....i am afraid to heat it up any more and bend the snorkel, because it doesnt look real pretty already and i hate i had to do that in the first place....

thanks.
I'm actually switching builds and selling the 100 to get into an older Toyota pickup, that's why I stalled on this, but...I did do a ton of hunting on that issue. I couldn't find a low profile antenna with a curved mount that would work any better with the snorkel than the stock antenna, so I gave up on that. My second avenue was my local shop who would patch it and paint it, but that was $350. Damn near worth it, but my build is on a budget. My idea was to use metal washers bent to the curve of the fender hole (using the old antenna's black plastic piece as a template for the bend) and sandwich the fender, then use a Gamiviti mount for a new antenna. So a metal washer with a rubber washer under it on the outside of the hole, then the same on the inside, SS nut and bolt bolt, tighten it up and move along. I bought everything I just haven't put it together. Actually have the truck for sale with the open antenna hole haha. If I had a 3D printer I'd happily build something to make available to anyone interested, it would certainly be a super niche product but one I wished I'd had.

Why not use the OEM tundra antenna? It's a fixed mast and fits around a snorkel. It's a direct swap for the power antenna. Feed the line from it through the same grommet as the power antenna was to get it to the radio.

There's a few threads specifically about using the tundra fixed mast with a snorkel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom