People that want to camp this weekend before the WNC Meetup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

slceso

... pronounced "Jason"
Threads
Hey guys,

We are going to find somewhere to camp this weekend before the Meetup in Black Mountain. I'm not settled on a spot, but I also don't know what's good, but if others would like to find a common spot, I'm down for that.

I heard Mortimer, and I thought there was stuff right near Black Mountain.

I'll have the fam and probably dogs, so I have to factor that in. Also if I have to, I'll go my own way and just try to make the Meetup Sunday.

@jfz80 @forrest5000 @jdayment @jdcascio1 @JohnVee @NCFJ @NC LX and I can't remember who else.

What kind of camping are you looking for primitive or a campsite? Bat Cave and Chimney Rock are a better option for campsites I think quieter and might actually be closer to Straight Away. Here is one that i know of in Bat Cave.

Creekside Mountain Camping - Tenting

Let me know and I can scout out locations if need be. I am not going to camp this weekend have to much to do on Saturday but don't mind driving around the area to do a recon. If anyone comes up Friday night or Saturday morning let me know and we can meet for beers on Saturday afternoon/evening as well.

Depending on site, I might be up for it.

I would be primitive only as my leashless beast will be in tow and I don't care to pay for hundred square feet in the woods to sleep in

192 at edgemont end has nice size camp 3-6 rigs

105 on west side of gorge has one or two spots for multiple trucks ~4 rigs max

South mtn gamelands access ends at SP boundary but campable at that spot 3-5 rigs

I've camped at a couple spots on 105 that can accommodate at least 6 trucks

Thats just past the black mountain campground no? Has primitive roadside spots along the way as it climbs up to parkway.

@Rice isnt this where we camped when str was cancelled or campground flooded?

@slceso wish I could make it! I promised I would work on the nursery.

Thats just past the black mountain campground no? Has primitive roadside spots along the way as it climbs up to parkway.

@Rice isnt this where we camped when str was cancelled or campground flooded?

I camped there a few weeks ago. The roadside primitive is nice. Lot of good spots big enough for several cruisers. I snapped a few photos.

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

I will check back for details, I am planning to mtn bike in the mountains, if close enough to y'all I will come join in.

Tut, Tut, looks like rain. My resolve weakens. We may just do one night. Supposed to be thundershowers Friday. May just do Saturday night.

I would love to camp Saturday night but I'm dog sitting until Monday and I'm not sure this old geriatric dog would make it haha. She can barely go up and down the stairs, poor girl. My three year old pup would be no problem as he loves camping, but I'm not sure the 15 year old is up for it. I'll play it by ear.

I would love to camp Saturday night but I'm dog sitting until Monday and I'm not sure this old geriatric dog would make it haha. She can barely go up and down the stairs, poor girl. My three year old pup would be no problem as he loves camping, but I'm not sure the 15 year old is up for it. I'll play it by ear.
Man, I've got these 3 dogs that are mostly still puppies... They are not good campers, or walkers. We're working on it, but we're not there yet.

Same with the kids, but they are human kids, so, y'know, more jailtime if I mess that up, so the dogs don't get the effort or attention they probably need.

We went out of town for a week and hired a dog/house sitter, and now the biggest dog runs through our invisible fence without hesitation any time we're not standing right there. The little dogs are content to hang out and not get shocked, but the big one has had a taste of the open road and car chasing now, and I don't know if we will be able to retrain her.

I am out - planned mtn bike trip was cancelled due to forecast : (

Ya, we stayed home. Originally it looked like it would be better Saturday night, but now it looks like thunderstorms again.

Ran richlands N to S late lst night. Sloppy mess

Stayed on the Cragg side of rockhouse gap road last night; ran 192 this am and am on Jonas ridge side of gorge now. Probably stay on old 105 tonight and get a late hike in. (Babel tower maybe) If anyone comes up im in the 80 and you are welcome to share a spot on 105.

Will update if I have a signal

Ran richlands N to S late lst night. Sloppy mess

Stayed on the Cragg side of rockhouse gap road last night; ran 192 this am and am on Jonas ridge side of gorge now. Probably stay on old 105 tonight and get a late hike in. (Babel tower maybe) If anyone comes up im in the 80 and you are welcome to share a spot on 105.

Will update if I have a signal
We're heading that way. See if we see you

Too funny. Got signal and then ran into you immediately after reading this. Sorry to bail on you but I think your wife will be happy; that was just the beginning of getting to the campsites on 105 from the south

we ended up going to Black Mountain and camping in a pretty good downpour. it opened up right after I got the RTT and awning sprung and still hasn't stopped. It's real nice up there though and we'll be going back in the summer.

We were so cold and wet though, we came straight home instead of going to the WNC meetup. I'll get there one of these days.

we ended up going to Black Mountain and camping in a pretty good downpour. it opened up right after I got the RTT and awning sprung and still hasn't stopped. It's real nice up there though and we'll be going back in the summer.

We were so cold and wet though, we came straight home instead of going to the WNC meetup. I'll get there one of these days.
I saw you guys driving eastbound on I-40! I was headed westbound to the WNC meetup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom