Builds Patch's Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread man, love the details and hands on work!

One question for you. Do you have or have you had any drivetrain clunk between all the work you’ve done?

Judging by the picture posted above I’d say a very large clunk is present.

Patch-

Posting a catastrophic picture with no detail is , well , unfun for us virtually riding along-

Details please >>

Great thread man, love the details and hands on work!

One question for you. Do you have or have you had any drivetrain clunk between all the work you’ve done?
I have completely eliminated my drivetrain clunk by doing the following:

1. Grease driveshafts and u-joints
2. New front diff bushings
3. New flanges and* CV axles

*OEM CVs are expensive and most of the clunk can be diminished by changing the flanges.

I broke an OEM CV axle with 7,000 miles on it and have since started using old OEM axles. After blowing up my diff (again), I've decided that it may be time to give some weaker aftermarket CVs a try in an effort to protect the front diff...only time will tell

Patch-

Posting a catastrophic picture with no detail is , well , unfun for us virtually riding along-

Details please >>
*posts more catastrophic photos*

IMG_7240.jpeg
IMG_7236.jpeg

EDIT:

While in Moab, we attempted Poison Spider. Lee (@ga12r1 ) broke a CV axle 10 minutes into the trail and I foolishly continued on...nothing good has ever happened any time I left Lee alone to fix his truck.

Anyway, further up the trail Sargy and I got caught between a group of SxS's, some J**ps, and a bunch of dirt bikers. It was a cluster truck from the start. Sargy got up a little obstacle but I wanted to try a more aggressive line. I engaged the rear locker but it never actually locked. I proceeded anyway because I've found that with the OEM rear locker, if the wheels slip a bit, it will engage and kick me over. This time, the front wheels slipped, then caught traction and *BOOM*

Ring and pinion shredded. Front locker was NOT engaged at the time. If it had been, I probably would've been fine or at worst, had a broken CV...

Sh*t happens...learn and move forward.

Last edited:
Here's a cool one.

JDM CDL and Hazards switch so that my mic can rest right by my leg/hand

IMG_7261.jpeg

Sourced the switch and blank from Pakistan. Shahab Akbar on Facebook sells a lot of OEM parts. Happy to report he is not a scammer lol

I want the details of that ANT mast switch rewired as winch control!

That’s genius!

For the last few days I've been modifying the mounts on the Big Slack Off-Road skid plate system.

The mounts are designed to sit snug against the frame but all aftermarket bumpers on the market also sit in the same place...

...for ease of removal, I cut the mounts and welded them back in place with enough space to fit the Ironman bumper and ironman recovery points. I've used the recovery points as skid plates or at least protective metal bits. They work pretty well!

IMG_7288.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpeg

IMG_7289.jpeg
IMG_7290.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg

I speculate that the rubbing will be mitigated now that the skid plate is mounted where it should be but only time will tell. The tires don't come anywhere near the plates in normal driving conditions but 35's apparently deflect pretty significantly.

The front skid plate pictured is made of 3/16" steel and took a beating in Moab. Happy to report that it held its own. I am impressed.
Big Slack sells the front skid plate separately of their middle and rear plates should someone want to purchase them one at a time.

Front skid plates are $500 I believe. It will require their diff drop which is a beefy upgrade. It's reinforced so that it can be used as a jack point. Really cool.

This is going to get hung up on things- might want to weld the seam and trim off the part hanging down.
1683470169623.jpeg

This is going to get hung up on things- might want to weld the seam and trim off the part hanging down.
I should've added a phrase, 'to be trimmed and welded.'

I've actually already trimmed them and welded (if you can call it welding) them back in place. I had to square and tighten everything up before welding for good measure.

By chance is your extinguisher mount from Cruiser Garage?

And what’s in the works for a front bumper? Or are you going to keep bashing the Ironman?

By chance is your extinguisher mount from Cruiser Garage?

And what’s in the works for a front bumper? Or are you going to keep bashing the Ironman?

It sure is. Mats, the owner, traded me two of them for some photo work a long time ago. I like his design a lot more than Owl's. It's more secure and fits the design of the seat better.

The front bumper situation is that I don't have money to upgrade to anything else and even if I did, I would probably spend it on a new suspension before a new front bumper. It's held decently enough ever since I welded it together.

I’ve always liked PartsOUQ for tracking down exact part numbers for factory bulbs. New factory bulbs should come with the correct color “rubber covers” if needed also.

Just always cross Google search the PN because sometimes prices are cheaper at your local dealer vs shipping from the UAE.

I got all five rear arms shipped to my door in less than 7 days cheaper than any local dealer wanted! Even McGeorge Toyota couldn’t beat them.

Does the light inside the ash tray work? And there is a lot ring around the cig socket also.

It’s been a while since I’ve had my center console apart and had eyes on the wiring harness loom/routing.

When the seat heaters are on do the LOW & HIGH indicators work? If so there is power.
And both the PWR & 2ND will be backlit, and one bold is in the gear selector strip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom